Need help interpreting a man.... (guys feel free to check in here!)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But not for me! My friend called me a few minutes ago to let me know how her night went last night and I can't help but laugh at her at this point.

She's living with this dating couple at the moment. And she has a huge crush on the guys best friend who they have introduced her to. So the guy roommate's birthday was Thursday. Instead of giving him a gift, she decided to pay for his dinner and stuff and they'd all go out wherever he wanted. So last night they went out and a bunch of other people came, including the guy she likes.

Well, the dude she's into only stayed an hour because he had to work today. She tried to initiate conversation with him about the usual boring topics (work, his sister who she's friends with now also but is too young to have come, etc.) beyond that not much was said. The girl roommate thinks he's on the shy side with people he doesn't know. And he's only met my friend say 5 times.

Well, this is where we need some insight, when he got up to leave (they were at a bar) he shook everyone else's hand and said goodnight, but she got a punch in the shoulder and a 'see ya later ******!' What the heck does that mean!?!
He didn't hit her hard, she said he barely touched her!

So what do you think of that? I'm no good at interpreting guys. For DH I used to have to go to my guy friends and they were usually right.
I can't see how he could not think she's physically attractive, she's adorable! And her personality is very friendly and easy to get to know. So maybe she's too much for him still? Not that she's the smother someone type, just easy to talk to and always has a smile on her face.

Any insight would be appreciated....though she will probably kill me for posting her business on here....but then we go back to 10th grade Biology so I think she'll get over it too!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me, it sounds as if he likes her.If he only shook everyone elses hand and actually gave her a *love thump*, I say he really wants to get to know her better and see where it goes.
Don't you remember when you were in Grade School and the boys that picked on you, were the ones that liked you?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
err, hmm, errr, i hate to say this, but i have no idea.....
and i think i am a guy. maybe some of the other guys hanging out
can help with that.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL!!! That's the way it still is today at school!(I have 4 kids in school)

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Since he treated her differently than the others, I'd say there's interest on his part.
He did something different with her..I would say that means he sees her differently

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd suggeset that he's interested, but really doesn't have a clue how to approach the situation. I have to ask whether or not he's had that much experience with women after maybe high school...... ? Hrmn. I think he needs for her to initiate a further contact, just to show him the way. A thump on the arm isn't the best way of showing affection, granted, but I guess he doesn't really understand anything better!
Perhaps she should thump him back!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

Perhaps she should thump him back!
I'm gonna suggest that to her!

From what I understand, he's had 2 or 3 long term relationships, including high school. (I think he's 25 or 26) She said all the other guys there were trying to flirt with her, be it flipping her hair or whatever.... Maybe he was holding back because of his other friends flirting?

Don't you remember when you were in Grade School and the boys that picked on you, were the ones that liked you?
That's what one of her other friends told her! When DH and I were first flirting we'd throw wads of paper at eachother....

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I'm gonna suggest that to her!

From what I understand, he's had 2 or 3 long term relationships, including high school. (I think he's 25 or 26) She said all the other guys there were trying to flirt with her, be it flipping her hair or whatever.... Maybe he was holding back because of his other friends flirting?

That's what one of her other friends told her! When DH and I were first flirting we'd throw wads of paper at eachother....
The guys still do that!!!! And they also come up behind the girls and swat them on the shoulder or arm........nothing hard, just a HEY there kind of thing.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the male half of the dating couple might have also said.. um, dude, you know she's into you.. and he (the guy of interest) might be interested and knows she's interested, but might be even more shy because he knows. Next time she sees him.. I'd say consider a smile and a wink at him if he taps her on the shoulder again.. I dunno. There's a reason I'm single.. maybe I'm not best to give dating advice. Might have something to do with my attitude, though.. I'm usually pretty good at flirting.

But overall, I'd say he's interested, and he set her apart by doing that.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok well we have some insight from the guy roommate now.....ya'll were right!

.....the dude called the guy roommate and said something to the effect of asking about her and saying how cute she was last night....and something about them all getting together to go out on his boat next friday..... Ooooo I wanna be a fly on that boat! I told her she better go dust off her bikini....her reply was 'darnit (not that word exactly) why didn't i order that thighmaster!'

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL!!! So glad things worked out for her and we were right.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woohoo! If she's worried about her thighs, tell her to get one of those oh-so-cute little wraps that cover your thighs and butt .. the little ones that tie around your hips. I know there's a proper name for them but it's not coming to mind at the moment.

hollister**

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Woohoo! If she's worried about her thighs, tell her to get one of those oh-so-cute little wraps that cover your thighs and butt .. the little ones that tie around your hips. I know there's a proper name for them but it's not coming to mind at the moment.
sarong maybe?

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If all she's worried about are her thighs, then she's alright! People like me are worried about everything from just under the bust, to the ankles!!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking sarong but then I think when I saw them in the Land's End catalog it was something different. They're long and pretty and very feminine, though.. a really nice touch to a bikini or bathing suit.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Ok well we have some insight from the guy roommate now.....ya'll were right!

.....the dude called the guy roommate and said something to the effect of asking about her and saying how cute she was last night....and something about them all getting together to go out on his boat next friday..... Ooooo I wanna be a fly on that boat! I told her she better go dust off her bikini....her reply was 'darnit (not that word exactly) why didn't i order that thighmaster!'
That's cool. actually I was going to say the opposite. Everytime some guy thumped me in the shoulder it was because we're "good" friends. Nothing more.

Then again though I've had WAY too many guys that want to be "just friends"
I've always been one of the boys

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, doesn't this sound promising. Now you better keep us informed, because we are all interested in what will happen next. Don't tell her that you have a whole bunch of on-line friends that want to know about her love life!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to date a guy where we did that to each other and joked around calling it the "buddy punch." If I hadn't already read the outcome, I'd have guessed there was interest on his part, especially since he didn't know her that well. Maybe he was just worried she wasn't the type to dig a hug? *shrug* lol

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Well, doesn't this sound promising. Now you better keep us informed, because we are all interested in what will happen next. Don't tell her that you have a whole bunch of on-line friends that want to know about her love life!
It can be our little soap opera!