Weird random question

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I somehow managed to crack my big toenail right in half about halfway down the toe on the left side...

My question is...I want to paint my toenails because its sandal season...

So, even though my toenail is hideous and half cracked..should I still paint it, or just throw a bandiad over it until it grows out?

A bandaid is pretty ugly too

What do I do?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm where shoes? or paint it with the word ouch? and the rest a different color?
errr, never mind i have nothing useful to add here sorry

i am leaving now.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say to go ahead and paint it if the paint can't get into the crack and HURT!!If it can, then I say get a bandaid and paint it the color of the rest of your toes.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ooo, how did you manage to do that - and I bet it hurt too - ouch !!

anyways - what about some of that nail glue stuff that you can file when its dried, to try and make it a bit more smoother - then off you go painting gal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I say to go ahead and paint it if the paint can't get into the crack and HURT!!If it can, then I say get a bandaid and paint it the color of the rest of your toes.
Weird thing is...I don't know how I cracked it...AND it doesn't hurt at all..I can push right on it, and nothing.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then, I'd say it's ok to paint it.
Sorry you got hurt though!!!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to see a podiatrist first to find out why it cracked, since there's no apparent injury and no pain.

Causes could be hereditary, from closed-toe shoes, a fungal infection, psoriasis, eczema, bad nail polish, allergy to nail polish, or a systemic disease like diabetes, peripheral vascular disease, or a bacterial infection.

Usually, this type of thing will happen to another nail, too, so it's best to get to the cause. IMO, I wouldn't paint the toenail until it's well.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

You might want to see a podiatrist first to find out why it cracked, since there's no apparent injury and no pain.

Causes could be hereditary, from closed-toe shoes, a fungal infection, psoriasis, eczema, bad nail polish, allergy to nail polish, or a systemic disease like diabetes, peripheral vascular disease, or a bacterial infection.

Usually, this type of thing will happen to another nail, too, so it's best to get to the cause. IMO, I wouldn't paint the toenail until it's well.
well :censor::censor::censor::censor:, now I am all freaked out

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch. Well I would suggest you get a diamond reinforced clear nailpolish to make an undercoat with first. That way you can try to even out the surface before you put a colour on top. It would also help prevent it cracking further.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd ask the dr. about it, too. If you're desperate to paint it for something special, I'd get one of those breathable Nexcare? bandaids (they are clear and lay smooth) and put it on top and paint that
. And then take it off as soon as you get home

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my doctor is an hour away, and my annual medical is in August..so I will ask her then. I'm sure I just whacked it into the wall without remembering or something.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure it won't kill you, but I'd still go see a doctor and make sure there's no underlying problem

I definitely owuldn't be painting it until it's all better. The nail polish probably wouldn't go on smoothly, and nail polish remover could not only make it sting like anything, but cause problems under the toenail.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Well, my doctor is an hour away, and my annual medical is in August..so I will ask her then. I'm sure I just whacked it into the wall without remembering or something.
August is a long time away!!!! Is there no doctor closer you can see? It doesn't need to be YOUR doctor specifically...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd get an ok from a podiatrist before painting it- because even if it's just superficial, it could still get infected and painting it may make it worse. So i would paint the rest and put a band-aid on this one till you have a doctors ok.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it cracked all the way through?

Providing there isn't a lot of pain, I would paint over it. The paint will help protect it. Get the stuff like Sally Hanson's Miracle Cure. That does wonders for strengthening nails.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch, I did that last summer.. I stubbed my big toe on a big wooden post. My toe swelled up and the nail turned black. It was sickening pain and just awful. After a couple weeks the toenail fell off, which was kinda nasty but it hurt a whole lot less than having the bruised nail on there. I kept a bandaid on there and wore two pairs of socks because every time an animal accidently stepped on it, it brought me to tears. After it started growing back, I kept my toenails painted to disguise the nasty toenail.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

well :censor::censor::censor::censor:, now I am all freaked out
Sorry. If it's a real hassle going to the doctor, I think waiting until August would be O.K. if it doesn't get any worse and you don't have another nail crack. You know best, if you have a family history of diabetes, etc.

Weird thing is...I don't know how I cracked it...AND it doesn't hurt at all..I can push right on it, and nothing.
Those are the two things that made me sit up and take notice. It doesn't sound infected, and usually you'd feel it if you cracked a toenail (has happened to me twice, and OUCH!).

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on the style of your sandals, you might be able to get some big floppy clip-on flowers at a craft store (they keep them with the flip-flops) to disguise the bad nail , or at least distract from the bandage. It would be good to see a doctor about it... it sounds like you might be open to infection under there, and you sure don't need that -- it can be very hard to treat. Good luck!

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMO, I wouldn't paint it. Nail polish can be pretty toxic, and you won't want it to get absorbed in a small cut, or through the soft tender tissue under the nail bed. Could cause toxic reactions.