Orijen, Serengeti, Raw Instinct, and EVO

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm tired of of all the recalls of late. I have found an online store that sells Orijen in FL and they even sell a trial size bag so I was going to start there. I know it is grain free and want to make sure all our cats like it before slowly switching over their dry food.
How does Orijen compare to the other three I have listed? I couldn't find a place that sells trial sizes of those otherwise I would also do that. I want to get them started on wet food also. We have two that are around 3 years, one that is 9, and another that is 14 years old. He's doing well, so far his kidneys are ok. I want to get him on grain free wet which is what sharky recommended. I wanted to get EVO wet grain free, but want to know if it was still safe to do so since they are from menu foods, but grain free.
How would you rate all of those 4 brands and which do cats tend to like more? I am willing to pay the extra money because they will eat less and it's higher in protein.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post a link for the online store that sells orijen?

I'll let the experts give you a review of the foods, but my two won't touch Serengeti, Raw Instinct, or Evo. I've been putting a little of the raw instinct in their regular food, hoping they will learn to like it. But I would like to try Orijen, especially if I can get a sample bag.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taste wise, we have sampled the EVO and the Raw Instinct. The EVO was more of an immediate hit all around, but they have all come to love the Raw Instinct too.

It's hard to be sure that anything is 100% safe these days, but I do feel comfortable with the canned EVO. Some of the canned Wellness is grain free, too. Some don't serve it because it contains garlic, however I am OK with it and it's a personal choice. The favorite Wellness flavors here are Chicken and Beef+Salmon....although they like the other grain free flavors too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Raw instict reads a bit better but isnt liked at least here than EVO ... EVO the dog liked cat allergic

Will be trying CORE by Wellness ... talked to vet she said three fish not an issue...

Would like to try origen ( it sounds yummy)

Serengetti is the best if UTI trouble is present

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ginger and Ferris LOVE Raw Instinct. I'm waiting to get some Serengeti in the mail to give it a try, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Raw instict reads a bit better but isnt liked at least here than EVO ... EVO the dog liked cat allergic

Will be trying CORE by Wellness ... talked to vet she said three fish not an issue...

Would like to try origen ( it sounds yummy)

Serengetti is the best if UTI trouble is present
So what brand would you recommend for wet and grain free? I am going to order a couple of those trial size bags from orijen.

Here is that link...it has the trial size bags of orijen.

http://www.only4pets.com/catfood.htm

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depends on baby Lexis taste buds...

Evo is chn and turkey with herring

Core is chn turkey and three fishes

origen sounds like I should eat it ... chn salmon potato

serengetti and raw insticts are mainly chn

Natures prarie canned is awesome but $$$$$ ... I have spent 3$ bucks on a 6 oz can

Evo looks good yet all three of mine reacted badly

Wellness grain frees got Kandie out of hybernation
but a 3oz can be 130

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Depends on baby Lexis taste buds...

Evo is chn and turkey with herring

Core is chn turkey and three fishes

origen sounds like I should eat it ... chn salmon potato

serengetti and raw insticts are mainly chn

Natures prarie canned is awesome but $$$$$ ... I have spent 3$ bucks on a 6 oz can

Evo looks good yet all three of mine reacted badly

Wellness grain frees got Kandie out of hybernation
but a 3oz can be 130
Lexi isn't too picky. It's the other three I'm concerned about. I'll probably switch over to wet very slowly and keep their dry out during the day. Is wellness core ok?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I discussed it for Zoey since She isnt into the Raw insticts my vet said try it ... but remember Zoey still eats kitten food at age three

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I discussed it for Zoey since She isnt into the Raw insticts my vet said try it ... but remember Zoey still eats kitten food at age three
How come she is still on kitten food? Guess I will have to look around to see what my options are. Thanks for all your help.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

How come she is still on kitten food? Guess I will have to look around to see what my options are. Thanks for all your help.
because she did the best on it ... she needs high protein and fat yet is allergic to EVO ... not allergic to Raw insticts not sure why she doesnt like it ... Core is next to try

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

because she did the best on it ... she needs high protein and fat yet is allergic to EVO ... not allergic to Raw insticts not sure why she doesnt like it ... Core is next to try
Well, I wish you the best of luck in finding something that your little one will like and be able to handle!
I guess I'll start looking at wellness and EVO. I hope they like the Orijen, that's my first attempt of getting their taste buds on something grain free.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can't give a break down between ingredients but if you can get trail sizes that would be your best bet.

I have tried Core, Innova Evo and Orijen.. price wise i think orijen is the most reasonable, but sadly my cats won't eat any of the three

Good luck!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My experience with grain-free; this refers only to dry foods, as I feed European/New Zealand canned foods that are organic and all meat and/or fish:
EVO and Core aren't available here (Germany). I've been feeding Serengeti for at least a year, when it's available, and it has gone over extremely well. Raw Instinct was an instant hit, and remained so for about three weeks, but is now "ho hum", so I'm mixing it with Orijen or Eagle Pack Holistic (not grain-free). Orijen was met with scepticism, but then heartily accepted, so I've just opened the second bag of it. I'll probably continue to buy Raw Instinct, but mix it with Felidae or Solid Gold dry.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Orijen's website is www.championpetfoods.com

Orijen is made in Alberta, so regarding the pet food recall, I'd say it's the safest. The cat food formula is 75% meat and 25% fruit/veggies (and 0% grains). The only problem I see with it is that it seems heavy on "strange" ingredients, like herbs and stuff. That's not bad, though, it's just odd to look at when you're used to all the other premium brands. Orijen is also 45% protein, if anyone is looking for a high-protein food.

My girls have all tried it and they all liked it, but now they're on wet diets (2 cats are on RAW, Buffy is on canned), so they don't eat it anymore. If Orijen comes out with a canned line, I want to try that for Buffy. My dog is going to start eating Orijen as soon as his bag of Nature's Variety Prairie runs out.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

Orijen's website is www.championpetfoods.com

Orijen is made in Alberta, so regarding the pet food recall, I'd say it's the safest. The cat food formula is 75% meat and 25% fruit/veggies (and 0% grains). The only problem I see with it is that it seems heavy on "strange" ingredients, like herbs and stuff. That's not bad, though, it's just odd to look at when you're used to all the other premium brands.

My girls have all tried it and they all liked it, but now they're on wet diets (2 cats are on RAW, Buffy is on canned), so they don't eat it anymore. If Orijen comes out with a canned line, I want to try that for Buffy. My dog is going to start eating Orijen as soon as his bag of Nature's Variety Prairie runs out.
Always run herbs by a vet that has knowledge of them ... some can cause issues not commonly seen.. i like how Orijen reads just an FYI

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, three kitties out of four say they love Evo. Now, one of the four is on raw and will not eat anything but raw, ever, no matter what. So, really, his opinion doesn't count. I've got bags of Core, Serengetti, and Raw Instinct on the way. I should see them next week. We'll see how they like it. I'm not entirely sure that I'm going to feed Serengetti regardless of how many paws up it gets because I'm not entirely sure I'm satisfied with the protein content. I remember one of them was more expensive than Evo.. I ordered from petfooddirect, and the shipping stayed the same regardless of whether I bought one bag or three, so .. I bought three bags of the different types.. and shipping was like $6. We'll see how it goes.

Oh, btw, they all boycotted the Evo canned.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Well, three kitties out of four say they love Evo. Now, one of the four is on raw and will not eat anything but raw, ever, no matter what. So, really, his opinion doesn't count. I've got bags of Core, Serengetti, and Raw Instinct on the way. I should see them next week. We'll see how they like it. I'm not entirely sure that I'm going to feed Serengetti regardless of how many paws up it gets because I'm not entirely sure I'm satisfied with the protein content. I remember one of them was more expensive than Evo.. I ordered from petfooddirect, and the shipping stayed the same regardless of whether I bought one bag or three, so .. I bought three bags of the different types.. and shipping was like $6. We'll see how it goes.

Oh, btw, they all boycotted the Evo canned.
Wow...shipping was only $6??? That's great!! I might buy small bags of the other two if the orijen doesn't work out. I just wanted to get one or two cans of some different wets to try out first. We'll see how it goes.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I bought three..or four small bags of the different foods. I bought the smallest size in each of them and I just kept hitting the "update shipping" button to see if it changed at all. It all stayed the same, so I ordered it all through there. Now, Timberwolf Organics does offer it but it had a $15 minimum when I tried to order it, but had free UPS shipping. IOW, you'd have to buy two of the $10 bags to get free shipping. Timberwolf makes the Serengetti. Forgot to mention that was on the timberwolf site, ordering directly from them for free shipping.. which would be worth it later if you were buying bigger bags. However, petfooddirect had them for around $8 something a bag, where it was $10 something direct ship from Timberwolf. I'll be playing with the shipping/weights if I continue to order from the sites just to get the best price, lol. I'm always searching for the best price.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just ordered those little 15oz bags of Orijen. We shall see how they like it. My next try is serengeti and raw instinct in 4 lbs bags.