eagle pack duck and potato

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been researching cat food religiously since one of my cats decided to start getting UTI's. I need to find a dry food that is relatively low in magnesium. So, I decided to try out Eagle Pack Holistics Duck and Oatmeal. I read the ingredients on their website, and they looked fine, so I went to the store and bought it. The ingredients on their site are these:
Duck Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Oatmeal, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Tomato Pomace, Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Chicken
Flavor, Carrots, Peas, Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Quinoa (Organic), Blueberries, Apples, Taurine, Inulin, Choline Chloride, Cranberries, Dehydrated Kelp, Beta-Carotene, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, DL-Methionine, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese and Copper, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B 12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone and Cobalt Sulfate, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.

Ok, a few ingredients that I'm not crazy about, like the egg product and beet pulp, but nothing horrendous. So I get home and I'm standing in the laundry room and decide to read the back of the bag. The ingredients on the bag are totally different that the ones on the website! Corn gluten is the 5th ingredient, there is no chicken meal at all, and there is menhaden fish meal. I'm at work and I don't have the bag, and I think there's more differences, but I can't look at the bag. Did Eagle change their product and I just bought an old bag? What's going on? I'm going crazy trying to find a food that will be fine for my UTI guy to snack on, but still healthy for all the others. And with the recall, its getting really hard. They were all on California Natural, but the mag. is too high.

brattina88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, really?! I've never seen Corn gluten on any of the bags of EP I've bought. My cat has been on it for almost two years now . .
I seriously hope they are not changing their formulas! .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
me too...I emailed the nutritionist they have on their website, so hopefully he'll get back to me on Monday. Its even the Holistic Selects, not the regular Eagle pack.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

I have been researching cat food religiously since one of my cats decided to start getting UTI's. I need to find a dry food that is relatively low in magnesium. So, I decided to try out Eagle Pack Holistics Duck and Oatmeal. I read the ingredients on their website, and they looked fine, so I went to the store and bought it. The ingredients on their site are these:
Duck MealHad to digest and often not well tolerated, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Oatmeal, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Tomato Pomace, Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Chicken
Flavor, Carrots, Peas,ALfalfa Sun-Cured Alfalfaanother allergen and tummy issue causer at times, SaltWAY too high for me , Potassium Chloride, Quinoa (Organic), Blueberries, Apples, Taurine, Inulin, Choline Chloride, Cranberries, Dehydrated Kelp, Beta-Carotene, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, DL-Methionine, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese and Copper, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Lecithin, Rosemary Extractcan cause tummy issues, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B 12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone and Cobalt Sulfate, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.

Ok, a few ingredients that I'm not crazy about, like the egg product and beet pulp, but nothing horrendous. So I get home and I'm standing in the laundry room and decide to read the back of the bag. The ingredients on the bag are totally different that the ones on the website! Corn gluten is the 5th ingredient, there is no chicken meal at all, and there is menhaden fish meal. I'm at work and I don't have the bag, and I think there's more differences, but I can't look at the bag. Did Eagle change their product and I just bought an old bag? What's going on? I'm going crazy trying to find a food that will be fine for my UTI guy to snack on, but still healthy for all the others. And with the recall, its getting really hard. They were all on California Natural, but the mag. is too high.
THe orangey are grain or grain like .... VERY GRAIN HEAVY .... 2.5 grains or grain likes( they react that way in the body) to one meat .... two meats to one grain is optimal ... one to one and one to one and a half is good ....
Egg product is not bad and beet pulp keep stool together and is a good fiber source and a good culture for the probiotics

Eagle pack DID recently change formulas the website seems to need updating... the packageing also changed

I truelly recommend Eagle pack wet ( yes some is Manu made) but NOT there drys ... too many extras( veggie s , fruit s , grain s )

Originally Posted by Brattina88

Wow, really?! I've never seen Corn gluten on any of the bags of EP I've bought. My cat has been on it for almost two years now . .
I seriously hope they are not changing their formulas! .
MOST ALL EP has corn or corn gluten ... It is less than it use to be but still most formulas... canned is far different NO CORN

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

THe orangey are grain or grain like .... VERY GRAIN HEAVY .... 2.5 grains or grain likes( they react that way in the body) to one meat .... two meats to one grain is optimal ... one to one and one to one and a half is good ....
Egg product is not bad and beet pulp keep stool together and is a good fiber source and a good culture for the probiotics

Eagle pack DID recently change formulas the website seems to need updating... the packageing also changed

I truelly recommend Eagle pack wet ( yes some is Manu made) but NOT there drys ... too many extras( veggie s , fruit s , grain s )

MOST ALL EP has corn or corn gluten ... It is less than it use to be but still most formulas... canned is far different NO CORN
It seems that all the grain heavy foods have the magnesium level that I'm looking for. And I don't like nutro, I think they have been very shady through this whole recall, so I don't want to feed that. But, the new duck and potato formula that is on the website has magnesium of .13%...so that doesn't help me either. The bag I have only has magnesium of .090%, which was good but apparently they don't make it anymore.

brattina88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I just wanted to clarify that I feed Holistic Select only, the store I go to doesn't even carry the other kinds of EP I've never seen them. I just went and got my last bag out of the trash (
LOL) and I definitly don't see any corn

This is slightly OT, but I also don't like Nutro. The FDA did a study a while back and found that some of Nutro's foods had traces of pentobarbital residue (the euthanasia drug) in them - from their meats. I don't think you'll be seeing me feeding any of their foods anytime soon!

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

this one came up in a similar conversation earlier, can't recall the verdict on it...

Fromm Duck a la Veg
I have researched that one too. The ingredients, while grain heavy, do not have anything harmful in them, or gross like by products, and the "as fed" magnesium is only .o80%, which is great. My local pet store doesn't carry the cat version, but I'm sure they could order it for me.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brattina88

I just wanted to clarify that I feed Holistic Select only, the store I go to doesn't even carry the other kinds of EP I've never seen them. I just went and got my last bag out of the trash (
LOL) and I definitly don't see any corn

This is slightly OT, but I also don't like Nutro. The FDA did a study a while back and found that some of Nutro's foods had traces of pentobarbital residue (the euthanasia drug) in them - from their meats. I don't think you'll be seeing me feeding any of their foods anytime soon!
THAT was a FALSE STUDY... check nutro website the OFFICIAL doc is listed

http://www.nutroproducts.com/reportinfo.asp

It is always wise to double check

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

this one came up in a similar conversation earlier, can't recall the verdict on it...

Fromm Duck a la Veg
That one is less grain heavy
... the sweet potatos so high really makes me

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That one is less grain heavy
... the sweet potatos so high really makes me
So are sweet potatoes a good thing? What benefit do they have for cats?
Thanks for any information.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

So are sweet potatoes a good thing? What benefit do they have for cats?
Thanks for any information.
Lots of vitamins ... fiber ... My vet suggest s them alot ... OH and they dont react in the body like a grain

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok so I just got the bright idea to check the expiration date on the bag, and it was april 24, 2007, which is 5 days ago. So I'll be going back to the store tomorrow to get a refund. I did just order some Serengeti from TO, and got a small bag of the Wild and natural for the dogs, and I got free shipping...which makes it way cheaper than buying from petfooddirect.com. So here's hoping they will like it. Sharky, is TO something Henry will be able to eat with his UTI problems?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Seregetti is the only grain free that APPEARS to be truely UTI freindly

I just got infor from Wellness as Core is my next attempt for Zoey ... it also says UTi freindly...

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went and exchanged the bag of EP today, and got some Wellness to hold them over til the Serengeti gets here. I realized that Serengeti is not as expensive as I thought it was. I paid $10.49 with free shipping for a 4 lb bag of Serengeti, and the 5 lb bag I just bought of Wellness was $16.99!! I'm liking TO more and more every day! Now lets just hope they like it...