I bought new food today from the vet....

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today feeling a bit uneasy about what cat food to buy, I called my vets
office, they recommended Hill's Science Diet, are any of you familiar?
I bought it and of course they all turned their noses up at feeding time ,
but when I returned home from the movies, they all ate it then! I just
feel so sorry for everyone who has suffered a loss! And I thank God everyday
it wasn't one of mine!
Monique

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hill's has a lot of different foods--which one did you get? I'm not really a big fan of any of them as most have byproduct, corn and/or wheat. A few of them are on the recall list (though I doubt anything you bought from the vet would be). What did you switch from?

brattina88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not a fan of Science Diet at all. Their products have way too much corn and by-products. Many vets recomend it because they 1. Have limited education on pet nutrition. Often times a sales rep from Science Diet or Royal Canin will go out and give vets a seminar and 2. Some vets get paid for selling Science Diet, basically. They get the profit...

lvcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't like Science diet either. It's just full of corn and by-products. Nothing really "healthy" in it at all

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carwashcats

Today feeling a bit uneasy about what cat food to buy, I called my vets
office, they recommended Hill's Science Diet, are any of you familiar?
I bought it and of course they all turned their noses up at feeding time ,
but when I returned home from the movies, they all ate it then! I just
feel so sorry for everyone who has suffered a loss! And I thank God everyday
it wasn't one of mine!
Monique
Is it regular SD or is it a precription??? ie the name is i/d or m/d or other two letter ??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The kind I bought was Hill's Science Diet, Adult orginial. As a matter of
fact, listen to this, the vet. was the one who picked it out.... and on the bag it has 'Not For Resale' stamped on it! He said, 'that is what he feeds his cats,
and he pointed out the 'not for resale' sign and said something like, "Don't tell
anyone but I can give you a $6.00 discount for this bag", well being the trusting person I am, I just wrote the check which was for $26.95 for a 20lb
bag! I'm pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a jerk! He just sold me some tester-
sample that was given to him, that isn't any good! I am glad I decided to
ask ya'll's opinion, I just wish I would of before I went down there...'my bad!'
I did read Hill's on the recall list I thought and I even mentioned it to
him and to the girl that works there. They assured me it wasn't any of the
foods that they have, well I believed them seeing how he's the vet, and someone who is supposed to be wanting the best for your animals, right?
I never even looked at the ingreidents,, until now! I know what will happen
Monday... he will get this bag back, that is so bad... makes me think
that if one of my cats got sick.... that he wouldn't care because he would
get paid for all the medical expenses from it! I can't tell you how I feel
right now, and he better glad he is closed today! I'm so nieve, I have got
to get out from under the rock! I switched from some kind of Nutro, I think that was the name of it, I bought it from Wal-Mart, it was one of the most expensive that they carry,
they carry it and IAMS, I was feeding GG IAMS wet food but I switched her
to dry only.. before Christmas. I think my dad even brought me some Special
Kitty dry, and I still have it, I was scared to use it, I saw it on the recall
list, I thought yesterday...to heck with Wal-Mart foods, I'll go to my vets office and buy some food, and I can trust them! What kind of food should I buy? Thanks for all the replies!!!!!!!!!!!

Monique

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats were all on Hill's SD original, but they all got somewhat overweight. Their UTI problems got better though, so I used it until I realized (from doing a food search for my dog and coming here and asking questions
) it had no fish. Now they are on Felidae Chicken and Rice mixed with a Walmart brand -Maxximum Adult formula. It's not a bad food, actually, (but has corn glutten)in and they love it so I mix it for them so that the oldest one will eat better. It's about the same price as Felidae per lb.

The original Felidae is about the same price as SD, but my cats look better and eat less of it than they did of the SD, so actually it is a better investment for me

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's soul also seems to be popular here, and I used the kitten formula (mixed with the Maxximum Kitten formula) and liked it. It has fish in it though, so I can't feed it to my girls
. It is also very reasonably priced

And I don't believe (I could be wrong) that your vet was supposed to be selling that bag. If I remember right, this is free or discount food that the company sends to places like vets, shelters, etc... I'd get my $ back
Hope some of this helps!

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your right, the bag was some kind of sample. I will be getting my money
back! Thanks for the info....SD has corn gluten. I don't want my cats to
get fat, they are all good sizes for their ages. Well this as been an eye
opener for sure......butterbean is beautiful!!!! thanks again!
Monique

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Debbie- I just read under your reply... Mama-rescued kitty that gave birth to 6 babies. I did the same thing, I had rescued 4, one of which was "Mama"
(she was pregant and wild when I trapped her at the carwash)(I had been feeding them for 4 or 5 months there) I brought them all to get fixed, but they told me she was pregant, I brought her home and she was awesome.
She had 3 babies! Fred, Ethal, and Scream! All long hair beauties! Your special
to rescue animals! Monique

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For food ideas, your best bet would be to look for some retailers near you and find out if they have samples available for you to taste test.. well the cat not you of coarse

Since some cats are super picky it can be hard to offer suggestions since what works for one cat may not work for another.

California naturals is a good food, i am trying some out with my three, it's very basic just chicken and brown rice and the price isn't too bad.

http://www.californianaturalpet.com/

another food would be felidae while i didn't have any luck with my cats with it, my dogs love their canidae lol

http://www.canidae.com/index.html

I'm also using wellness indoor cat, my boys really like it, but it is somewhat pricey imo.

http://www.omhpet.com/

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do a quick nutrition search on here... youll get lots of info and various opnions... I am working on a grain free with my dry girl but there are many reasonable and good premiums ...

the least $$$
Sportmix( very entry level as it has corn wheat and soy )

Chicken soup

Nutro s max

Solid Gold( depends where you are)

Felidea( see solid gold )

All have pluses and minuses you need to determine what you want and then what kitty will eat ....

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
was that kyla in the pic? I am soo sorry for your loss! She is beautiful!'
thanks for all the info! I will be researching tonight! I just wanted to make
sure that I didn't get some food that might hurt or kill my cats. I'm not really understanding this: is some wheat gluten still ok? some foods still have it in them, I'm kinda confused now! what about corn gluten? how about no glutenm, that's what i'm thinking! thanks again
Monique

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carwashcats

was that kyla in the pic? I am soo sorry for your loss! She is beautiful!'
thanks for all the info! I will be researching tonight! I just wanted to make
sure that I didn't get some food that might hurt or kill my cats. I'm not really understanding this: is some wheat gluten still ok? some foods still have it in them, I'm kinda confused now! what about corn gluten? how about no glutenm, that's what i'm thinking! thanks again
Monique
Corn gluten is the less of the corn evils in my book ... it is much more digestable up to 20% over corn ... Often found in UTI formulas as it aids the balence of mineral s in the chicken most are based on

See the recall list at the top of this forum... it is in red ... Nearly daily another recall is starting it seems

Corn is the LEAST digestable of the grain s

Wheat is the most ALLERGENIC yet is fairly digestable

Rice is the MOST digestable grain and technically least allergenic

Potato while not a grain is digested similar to wheat and is rising fast in the allergy column...

Private Message me if I have confused you