This is a little long, so by way of introduction, please forgive that!
Snowy is a really special cat. She is hard to understand, but I am taking it one day at a time and listening to everyone's advice. I spend a lot of time with her because I am in the study a lot. I talk to her and I sing to her.
As an answer to one question, she did want to come out of the study. In fact, one evening I hadn't latched the door totally and she (I think with the dogs' help) opened the door and made her way into the jungle of my home.
I have three dogs and another cat (who was also rescued named Singer) and a bird. Anyway, needless to say it was traumatizing for Snowy because she tried to hide somewhere because the dogs were merely curious - but they are dogs, afterall. It was too much for Snowy then...so she ran and hid and I tried to get her out from underneath an end table (equipped with oven mitts) and then my other cat, Singer (all 5 lbs and 15 yrs. old of her) came to my 'rescue' because, of course, Snowy was hissing and clawing and biting because she was so scared. Singer thought she was saving me.
Well, Singer tried to help but of course then I was just afraid for both of them. It was just awful.
I finally persuaded Snowy out from under the table and she found her way back to my study. That incident set us back some in the trust department.
During the daring escape, I was mainly concerned about Singer. I could not believe that our poor old cat (and she is much smaller than Snowy) became such a fearless cat! When I got her, she was already clawless and she is older and very small and has a thyroid condition. So, this situation is very concerning! Singer has been just the best cat ever in the whole wide world and I do not want to do anything at all that might shorten her time with me.
Looking back on it I will never not shut the door totally again. However, in answer to some of the other questions on here, I have been bringing in the dogs and the birds on a one by one basis to get Snowy used to them. She isn't warming up very well. She really is scared of the dogs and she wants to eat my conure. That is only a little exaggeration.
So, I am continuing to work with Snowy in the hope that she may come around, but I can only give it till the end of July. My Vet says to take iSnowy to one of those Vets where they will do a low cost spay and then let them go (but she isn't feral) and that would kill me.
The other option is to advertise but since you can't touch her, it isn't a good option for Snowy I don't think. It would be great if perhaps a farm around here (Tampa) might take her, but again....I am torn.
Somehow, Snowy came into my life for a reason. I was most certainly not looking for a kitty (as my Singer doesn't like it) but I couldn't let Snowy go to a kill shelter either.
The people who had her before us lied to me about her being spayed. They drugged her badly before giving her to me and they have not e-mailed even once back after I have tried to get info. Apparently she has never been to the Vet at all.
Anyway, that is where I am right now. I am going to get her spayed and hope that does some good. I have also made a determined decision that you all are right and that declawing is the wrong choice. If we can keep her, I will use the soft claws.
Thanks everyone sooooooooooo much for your concen and the advice and just everything. I am inspired by this site.
Karen & Snowy and the "Crew"