e-collar advice needed!

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever had to have their cat wear an Elizabethan collar (e-collar)?

I just brought my feral cat home after his tail was injured and he had to have it amputated. I feel so bad for my William. He is a very handsome kitty man.
but at the moment he is looking rather sad and silly with this device on his head and his rump all shaved and a little tiny stub of a tail. If it were me I would feel as if I'd had an alien abduction!

Now I have him in a small room. He is having difficulty with the collar, maybe because he is still a bit woozy.

How do they eat and drink with this on? Should I feed him his wet and dry food on a flat plate? Any advice for the water bowl?

catmat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
if you put the food up on something that is right at his nose level and angle the dishes down so he can just stick his face directly into the bowl it will help him out alot.. I had to do it with one of my sugar gliders, and though they are MUCH smaller, they still have the same difficulty with the e-collar

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mia wore her e-collar for about a month after eye surgery, and even with her extremely flat face was able to eat and drink using her normal bowls provided they were kept full.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yorda

Mia wore her e-collar for about a month after eye surgery, and even with her extremely flat face was able to eat and drink using her normal bowls provided they were kept full.
usually they are fine as long as the bowl is full..Poor little things. I feel bad when they have to wear them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is really helpful advice. I will put his wet food on a higher level and in a more shallow bowl. I keep his crunchies bowl full more or less.

It makes sense logistically to do that, but since the doctor didn't give any advice, I sort of wondered.

Poor little boy, he is inside for the first time and wondering what the heck happened to him.