i am not a vampire.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I remember correctly, I read something a few years ago that people that were put in light deprived enviroments for long periods of time adapted to a 48 hr day...where they were active for 24 hours then slept 24 hours on average. Isn't that weird?

I'm a night owl myself...except when I have to get up early in the morning. I would much prefer to sleep the day away and live at night.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I have the luxury, I will sleep 16 hours then stay awake for 12-16. Too bad it can't be that way all the time.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I'm a night owl, too. Always have been - drove my poor day person mother crazy.

Not sure why night people have the mutated gene though. Why can't the "regular" gene be the mutated one? In nature, there are many mammals who are night critters

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found out I was a night owl in college. Before college I had serious sleep problems. I would toss and turn in bed all night long without a lick of sleep, go to school and be dead tired the entire day, and once school ends and the day is about over I'd be WIDE FRICKEN AWAKE! In the weekends I'd collapse from exhaustion and my parents were always sending me to the doctor to get looked at and having to take all sorts of pills. At one point they thought I was depressed or something and had me go to a psychiatrist, put on prozac, and that actually made it worse because prozac makes you sleepy (was found a couple times literally out cold at my desk at school with a huge drool puddle).

Once college hit, I just slept all day in the dorm room, just had a tendency to choose evening classes, and I started feeling... good. like a million bucks. I work second shift now at my job, and it just feels right, go to sleep at 7am, wake at around 1:30pm. On the weekends I'll sleep in till it gets dark, usually around 6pm.

Favorite weekend hobby is to find a sunny patch by the window and take a nap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Yep, I'm a night owl, too. Always have been - drove my poor day person mother crazy.

Not sure why night people have the mutated gene though. Why can't the "regular" gene be the mutated one? In nature, there are many mammals who are night critters
now that is the right idea. I know i did the same with driving my mother nuts , i would be awake and making noise in the baby cribb all night

and the fights we used to have to go to bed, as a teen, oh man.

alot of limur6 said is the same, when i had to take morning class, i would just stay up all night.
since i finished college, i have worked seconds or thirds shifts almost all the time. I dont want to work days period

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What does that make me then - I am a night owl AND an early morning person. I am a terrible sleeper, always have been.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

What does that make me then - I am a night owl AND an early morning person. I am a terrible sleeper, always have been.
Haha, a day owl? Kinda like those people who stay up till 2 or 3 am, but that's their limit.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always been a night-owl too! I always blamed it on being one of the 'afternoon' kindergarten kids, instead of the 'morning' kindergarten kids! It's taken me 20+ years of working in the O.R., and having to be at work at 6:30 am, to become a reluctant morning person. I revert back to night-owl on the weekends frequently, and usually need to take a sleeping pill on Sunday night to be up early in the morning Monday. I can hardly wait till I retire and can become a full time night owl again!!! Unfortunately, I will probably have to work until I die....just to afford health insurance

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom is the night owl - my sis and I are the morning people!
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

Favorite weekend hobby is to find a sunny patch by the window and take a nap.
You do realize you are part cat?

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definately a night person- you wouldn't want to meet me in the morning

If anyone here lives in the US have they tried Melatonin?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dont know what I have - I like to sleep, so maybe I have some hibernating gene

they have also found the 'fat gene' - huh - well they need to get rid of that one

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Definately a night person- you wouldn't want to meet me in the morning

If anyone here lives in the US have they tried Melatonin?
I've used it and it really does work. It doesn't knock you out like a sleeping pill does...it just somehow tells your brain that its time to sleep. Its strange..there isn't that drugged feeling where you can't keep your eyes open. I just take 1 about an hour before bed and I don't have any problem going to sleep. And no grogginess the next morning like you sometimes get with sleeping pills. Its just the same chemical that your brain is supposed to produce normally.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the most fascinating article. Max and I are always butting heads because he is a night person and a dreadful morning person, whereas it's 10.30pm now and I'm falling asleep at the computer, but will bound out of bed tomorrow morning at 6am when the alarm goes off.

I can't do late nights, they kill me. And I sleep like the dead - although I'm easily woken. Max is a fitful sleeper but it takes him forever to wake up. How cool if a gene mutation could explain it! We both also have bipolar disorder and tend to go through seasonal episodic cycles. It's very interesting.