Worms?!

matttt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I went to say hi to my cat today and noticed something on the back of her tail near her rear, and it looked to me like a worm. It was about the size of a piece of rice, and the same color. It wasn't moving, and (I know this is gross), but when I squeezed it between a piece of toilet paper, it popped.

Anyways, was this a worm? My cat has been an indoor cat for many years, but we just brought home a new cat. He is a year old, and I believe he has been indoor his whole life as well. He just went to the bathroom and (this is gross again) I examined it and didn't find anything like that in his bowel movement. It is hard to be for sure because it was covered in pieces of litter.

What should I do at this point? Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matttt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
P.S. The cat in question has Inflamitory Bowel Disease, and diabeties. Would the worm medicine not agree with either of those?

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it sounds like tape worm i pulled this up for you to explain.
TAPEWORMS (Dipylidium caninum, T. taeniaeformis) are the other type of parasite that’s visible to the naked eye. Actually, what you will observe are tapeworm segments that have broken off from the adult parasite that is attached to the lining of the cat’s intestinal tract. These tapeworm pieces vary in length, are usually white and are frequently seen (while still alive) contracting and expanding around the cat’s rectum or on a dog’s stool immediately after elimination. Once the segments die, they will look like grains of uncooked wild rice or sesame seeds and are often found where the cat sleeps.

this is normally caused by flees if i remember rightly , how long have you had the new cat??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matttt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. We've had the new cat for about three weeks. He came with advantage, but my other cat had none, which I realize may have been a mistake. I just ran out and got her some though, and I made a vet appointment for both of them on monday.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by matttt

Thanks for the reply. We've had the new cat for about three weeks. He came with advantage, but my other cat had none, which I realize may have been a mistake. I just ran out and got her some though, and I made a vet appointment for both of them on monday.
The vet is a good idea. Daphne had worms when I got her so I had to have them both treated. The medicine from the vet is better than the worm medicine from the store. I am sure your vet will advise you on the best way to deal with the worms with her other health issues.

Don't worry about being gross on this forum
I think anything that will make our kits healthy is allowed

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree , never use over the counter products. i normally use drontal unless its a pregnant mum.

coastal1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh my, our cat had worms a number of months ago, and they were a bear to get rid of because they got so bad she got blocked up back there. I'd get her to the vet ASAP and let them flush her out and get dewormers.