Oki Sick After Food

f8rdy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, this is my first post.

Me and my girlf have got a lil strawberry blonde (she doesnt like being called ginger) cat, Oki, about 18 months old. In the last couple of months, after eating, she will often bring food back up, seemingly unchewed!

Ive caught her eating her sick a couple of times so i worry that this might be happening more often than we know about. We thought at first that food in gravy was disagreeing with her so we cut that out which seemed to help, then when it continued i started mincing her food (in jelly) to make it easier to digest, which again seems better, but hasnt cured her.

Shes a VERY VERY active cat, some mite say nasty but i think shes just misunderstood as she was taken away from litter too young. Shes got a lovely glossy coat on her, as strong as an ox and seems content enough. She does eat very fast and then (being as she is) will run around. A couple of times ive seen her have a bite or 2, go for a walk around the house, come back and have a bit more, asthough she knows shes got to take her time.

Im ruling out furballs too as theres never any in the sick and its happening too often for that. Shes an indoor cat, although we have got her a harness and lead and she sometimes goes in the garden under supervision so i doubt theres any outside influence.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Oki's Dad

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jpawz

Time to see the vet. Really....peace of mind for our pets is priceless.
I agree.

Sorry
...I read your post again and see you said something about her NOT eating too fast.

To me it sounds like she's eating too fast. If you haven't already, you might try elevating her dish a few inches and use a flat plate (not a bowl) ...and spread the food out so she will not be able to gulp.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're right, Beandip....I should have been more detailed.

I have 2 cats who are notoriously fast eaters. Especially my Grayboy. Mornings are worst--and if I do wet food in the morning, that pretty much ensures a post-puke. I watch him and he literally gulps it down. If I give him a can I have to basically hand feed the amounts. To do my own 'ruling out' I don't feed wet in the mornings and that pretty much stopped most of the puking.

STILL I say when you (general you) are this concerned, a vet clearance is the only way to get a 'clean slate' so you can work on other ways to help the situation (with a free mind!). ESPECIALLY in light of all the recent health scares. It does sound like a fast eater kind of thing.....

WAIT--is the cat eating too fast or not ???

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry Jpawz
...I didn't see any problem with either your post or f8rdy's...it's my fault. My reading comprehension is a little low today. I realized that f8rdy specifically said that eating too fast probably wasn't the issue with Oki, but my post was all about eating too fast...so I felt like a dork.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Sorry Jpawz
...I didn't see any problem with either your post or f8rdy's...it's my fault. My reading comprehension is a little low today. I realized that f8rdy specifically said that eating too fast probably wasn't the issue with Oki, but my post was all about eating too fast...so I felt like a dork.
Well then. That makes dork x2

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by f8rdy

She does eat very fast and then (being as she is) will run around.
A couple of times ive seen her have a bite or 2, go for a walk around the house, come back and have a bit more, asthough she knows shes got to take her time.
(including the quote to clear up some confusion
)

I would suggest a vet check first. That way you can look into other reasons. She may be eating too fast but it sounds like she is learning to self-regulate. I am not an expert on feeding though. Hopefully someone with more knowledge pops up

You sound like a great catdad! You know we will want to see photos in the Fur pictures section
Welcome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

f8rdy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the quick replies.

i think i totally contradicted myself!!

We're all right! She does eat fast most of the time but lately ive noticed her trying to eat slower. I'll definately try elevating her dish and perhaps more dry food.

As with everyone i'm always reluctant to upset her by taking her to the vet. Shes got a reputation there already!! The vet cant get near her!

I'll post a pic now if i can

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hahah this all cracked me up!

Sometimes even with kibble a puker is a puker; they dont' take the time to chew the kibble and swallow it whole instead. If they are yakking right after they eat, in whole food form, it's *probably* due to fast eating. Maybe smaller portions at more frequent intervals?

But you never know (wagging my finger back and forth)

Yes...I would rather be scorched by a thousand suns than take 2 of my cats to the vet. So I understand. I just got back from a check up this afternoon, and now must go through the 'readjustment' for him as the others (Caesar has 'evil vet smell' and is now ESTRANGED).

(this is your home, Caesar, these are your brothers, and these are your sisters....you just all had a big love-in on my bed last night, remember???)

ladybass0711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My one cat throws up every now and then when she is done eating. Its almost like she eats to fast and her body can't adjust to it so it gets thrown back up. I checked with my vet and she seems to think that the cat just eats to fast for her body to keep up. She is healthy otherwise, acts noramlly and plays like a kitten, so I am not to concerned

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

f8rdy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually, never thought of getting the vet out.

Have done for one of my other babies when he was i'll and had to be put down
Maybe i should enquire about price for housecall at least.

Just to let everyone know, Oki is saying hi in her special way.... pooing in her litter tray which is right net next to me......... thanks......

Here's pix of her

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...54#post1746154