Garlic question

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been curious about this for some time now. I know many people avoid foods like Wellness that contain garlic. I avoid garlic in cat food myself, most of the time. But, I was wondering if there is any evidence that the amount used in these foods is dangerous? Has anyone had a cat get sick from eating garlic? With so few "safe" foods, I would really like to know if Wellness can be considered safe (at least as far as the garlic issue goes).

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a link to the Q&A on wellness stating why they use garlic, etc!

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/well...q_index.html#2

I have used Wellness in the past! The only reason I avoid it now is because of the Recall and because the cats are trying something new (Felidae)!

Why do you use garlic in your canned cat food diets?
Garlic has been long used for its healthful benefits as well as a flavorful ingredient in recipes around the world. Cats won't eat what they can't smell. At Wellness, we add only a trace amount of garlic to our cat food to increase palatability and aroma. While it is a member of the onion family garlic does not contain a meaningful amount of disulfide, which is the substance found in onions that is harmful to cats at a high dosage. As with most things, the old saying "moderation in all things" applies to garlic. It would require a massive amount of garlic to cause a cat to become ill. Some studies even show that small amounts of garlic can actually be beneficial to the health of pets.

Here is the paragraph in case you don't feel like going through the link!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YES Anemia can result .... My vet says no to fresh garlic and to any that is not like 10th ingrediant and later in a formula ... she okayed Wellness for my Kidney girl saying it is not much and if she eats

Wellness is made at Menu... but Welcat was nice enough to say which plants ... NOT the one involved

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes there is. Anecdotally I know of 1 person whose cat died after minimal ingestion of garlic.

http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/garlic.php
and from 2005, a Toxicology Report on Allium Species Poisoning in Dogs and Cats:
http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/...dInterest=1101 The second is a pdf, so you do need adobe acrobat's free reader.

On the flip side, there are NO studies that show what amount or form or type of garlic is safe. Key points to consider, the damage from a cat ingesting garlic is cumulative, and the sensitivity to garlic varies cat to cat. You are quite simply, playing russian roulette if you feed it to your cat, imo.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Here is a link to the Q&A on wellness stating why they use garlic, etc!

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/well...q_index.html#2

I have used Wellness in the past! The only reason I avoid it now is because of the Recall and because the cats are trying something new (Felidae)!

Why do you use garlic in your canned cat food diets?
Garlic has been long used for its healthful benefits as well as a flavorful ingredient in recipes around the world. Cats won't eat what they can't smell. At Wellness, we add only a trace amount of garlic to our cat food to increase palatability and aroma. While it is a member of the onion family garlic does not contain a meaningful amount of disulfide, which is the substance found in onions that is harmful to cats at a high dosage. As with most things, the old saying "moderation in all things" applies to garlic. It would require a massive amount of garlic to cause a cat to become ill. Some studies even show that small amounts of garlic can actually be beneficial to the health of pets.

Here is the paragraph in case you don't feel like going through the link!
Some one should ask them for the studies that show there is any benefit to cats or dogs from garlic. That is quite simply, a belief..it is not a proven fact. Nor is there a study that shows ingesting a 'teense' means it won't cause damage. I can't and won't accept this kind of statement over the toxicology report that I posted in my message above. Key point again...the damage is cumulative, and the sensitivity of cats to garlic varies...some can not handle a single dose.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Yes there is. Anecdotally I know of 1 person whose cat died after minimal ingestion of garlic.

http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/garlic.php
and from 2005, a Toxicology Report on Allium Species Poisoning in Dogs and Cats:
http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/...dInterest=1101 The second is a pdf, so you do need adobe acrobat's free reader.

On the flip side, there are NO studies that show what amount or form or type of garlic is safe. Key points to consider, the damage from a cat ingesting garlic is cumulative, and the sensitivity to garlic varies cat to cat. You are quite simply, playing russian roulette if you feed it to your cat, imo.
Pat My research agrees ... and Wellness is the only garlic containing food used and it is closely moniored.... I do beleive my vet is okaying do to Kandies age and that It is in rotation with raw cooked and other NON GARLIC cans/// I think I will take in those studies

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't shoot the messenger I was just reposting Wellness explanation! I read that onion and garlic is not good in any quantity! I have givin my kitten Wellness wet on one occassion and she was alright, it was never anything long term... I took them off of Wellness dry as well! I myself would like to see the statistics on the benefits of garlic and felines! I know it promotes heart health with use but felines and humans are completely different beings!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Don't shoot the messenger I was just reposting Wellness explanation! I read that onion and garlic is not good in any quantity! I have givin my kitten Wellness wet on one occassion and she was alright, it was never anything long term... I took them off of Wellness dry as well! I myself would like to see the statistics on the benefits of garlic and felines! I know it promotes heart health with use but felines and humans are completely different beings!
(looking to my side and behind)..I don't see any weapons here
Not shooting the messenger!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good.... Stop the violence... Increase the Peace! Their explanation really isn't very informative it's more based off of personal opinion!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Good.... Stop the violence... Increase the Peace! Their explanation really isn't very informative it's more based off of personal opinion!
Seems to be...

I will ask the holistic vet her opnion...

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good that would be a nice piece of knowledge to obtain! I had no issues with the dry just wanted a change!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Pat My research agrees ... and Wellness is the only garlic containing food used and it is closely moniored.... I do beleive my vet is okaying do to Kandies age and that It is in rotation with raw cooked and other NON GARLIC cans/// I think I will take in those studies
Of those two, the best to show your vet would be that 2005 Toxicology report. Here is a very good article:http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/CLERK/Tarigo/ and another, though on dogs is worthwhile as cats are known to be more sensitive than dogs:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Alix says oh just give me something to nibble on or play with
...skritches to your two kitties.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! This whole food situation is such a mess... I can't wait till everything is safe again... then again nothing is ever safe 100%

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks! This whole food situation is such a mess... I can't wait till everything is safe again... then again nothing is ever safe 100%
That is the truth any more ...

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll trust any manufacturer ever again.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope I am tainted and forever paranoid now! As if I didn't have enought to worry about in the world... Now I have to be extra cautious as to what my cats can eat... I would be lost without them!

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Nope I am tainted and forever paranoid now! As if I didn't have enought to worry about in the world... Now I have to be extra cautious as to what my cats can eat... I would be lost without them!
*huge* headache. *throbbing*. Just got my order of Chicken Soup (dry), Raw Instinct, and Innova/Evo cans/.

Big 'what to do?' with the CS....they report to manufacture their own dry foods but words are just about nothing now. It's the same old song and dance just a different company, different week.

As for garlic...it's one of those unpredictable sensitivities, that we cant' know about until it's often too late
Not sure how much we need a trace amount of garlic for 'palatability' in the first place--I'd certainly blow off any 'benefits' to rule out any negative reactions.

But I like Wellness's take on the issue and since my cats consistantly do well on Wellness wet, and the fact that I rotate (it's not everyday or even every other)...I feel okay about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone who replied. I guess I'll continue to avoid garlic, then.