Petrol in a diesel car ((((eek)))

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So DH has managed to put petrol in MY diesel car.........huh does he owe me big time now

Luckily he got it home and we've had the garage people out, they drained it and now DH has had to go and get some diesel for it

Trouble is now it stinks inside - any suggestions folks ?

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it stops raining you could leave the windows open
, or put some lemon or orange peel inside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

When it stops raining you could leave the windows open
hem-hem !!..............have a quick look at the video I posted in VF - think it'll be days before the
rain stops

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in the US we can buy this stuff for odor control that looks like small rocks in a mesh bag-maybe you can find something similar??

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Here in the US we can buy this stuff for odor control that looks like small rocks in a mesh bag-maybe you can find something similar??
well I have left the windows open and cleaned the area where the pump is - under the back seat of all places - with some odor control stuff - the smell is not as bad, so I think I've cracked it

Originally Posted by pushylady

So can you still drive it ok?
well once we got all the petrol out - DH had to go for a can of diesel, we turned it over and boy did a load of grey smoke spit out the back

but once the diesel got through it was fine, so I've, out and about as normal now.........phew

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How did he manage to do that? Aren't the nozzles a different size in Spain? Here, the diesel nozzles are smaller than the ones for normal petrol/gasoline, so you could put diesel in a car running on normal petrol, but not vice-versa.
Ditto in Austria and Hungary, so I assumed that was EU-wide.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

How did he manage to do that? Aren't the nozzles a different size in Spain? Here, the diesel nozzles are smaller than the ones for normal petrol/gasoline, so you could put diesel in a car running on normal petrol, but not vice-versa.
Ditto in Austria and Hungary, so I assumed that was EU-wide.
No the nozzles are the same here - except 4star (the old leaded stuff) which does have wider nozzle - BUT -. they are colour coded, trouble was he had a diesel van for work but its gone to the great scrappers yard
so he is using his Jeep for work which uses petrol. ..still with me

When he took mine to be filled up, I think he was just so used to putting petrol in his jeep, that he was on 'auto-pilot' and just grabbed the petrol nozzle

Aint it worse putting diesel in a petrol, wouldn't that jigger everything up, cos diesel is so thick & gloppy eewww ! it would plug up the catalytic converter and something about diesel having a higher flash point
sorry its a man thing this subject