Finding a good vet, what to look for?!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I will explain a little bit here of why I am posting this!

Well we have been looking somewhat for a new vet because ours wasnt very accurate on Stormie whenever she was sick when she first came to us! He said it was allergy's but here it was a very bad URI!!!

But also we went to him the other day whenever Tessa was sick, she has a very bad URI! And well we told him that for Bella and we had already had good clavomox in pill form, well Tessa and Blue both caught it.

So we had called him for a script for Clavomox and he had asked if they had taken it before and we had told him yes (he never wrote it down on their records
) And well he said how, and the lady that we adopted them from took them both to him and he had them both on antibiotics for URI's, also thats why we had to wait for Tessa and her spay and such was because of an URI!

So instead of fixing his mistake he got the rescuers number and called her flipping out for some reason, and then he started yelling at my mom telling her he makes no money from us
Mind you, we took Stormie there when she was very sick which was over $100! And our dogs are regulars there every year (cocoa has very dry skin so often in summer he needs to be put on meds for it or he goes bald pretty much) So he does make money off of us! Thats not including all of the medicine we always get off of him, and when my mom did get the clavomox he gave her half a bottle already mixed and charged $30 each!

So because he was lashing out at my mom because she wanted a script (we would have ordered it online from pet meds) my mom pretty much told him he has lost a lot of customers (we sent lots of people there, my gram went to him and her 3 kitties, my brother and his 3 kitties and 2 dogs and some other family members of ours)

So now we are looking for a new vet! What should we ask and look for as well!

I am very catuious about vets because we did have 2 the one I am talking about up there and a different one and then we went to the one i am talking bout because the other mis diagnosed my dog snoop (r.i.p) and I mean he was off by A LOT !!!!

But I am wondering what does everyone else look for in a vet besides them loving and actually caring for the animals and not in it for money???

I am just so shocked my mom was alone when this happened! I had actually thought he cared about animals and such
And so money hungry

Also sorry this is long, wanted to fill u in on why we are looking for a new vet! Also the rescuer said this wasnt the first time that hes done this, and she doesnt really go there much any more (she sees several vets being a rescuer of mostly ferals) My mom had called her to apologize for him calling her flipping out for no reason!

ETA: I forgot to add that the rescue lady had said that there was a couple up there that were going to surrendur their 2 kitties because his prices are very high and unreasonable and such (we go to the clinic, which has opened up last year so not many people no about it) and so the lady felt bad and took the cats and payed for the shots from this vet! He yelled at her doing that (I guess he witnessed it and she does get discounted because she is a private rescuer) She was just trying to be nice because the people did take care of their pets but were going thru a dry spot and so she did an honorable thing IMO! And if they werent suitable for cats I think she would have tooken them you know!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want help finding another vet, a polite one at that.
Ask the rescuer you refer to in your post. It sounds like she would certainly be in situations with other vets that would test how patience they were when working with her. Ask friends.

IMO, a good vet will take time to listen to you and explain any procedures and medications your pet needs. They will do their best to try to put your pet at ease
Example: At Tomas's last vet visit he was losing his patience at having all these unknown people touching him. He started to growl. Instead of making him stay on the table any longer she suggested we put him in the carrier. She also baby talks the animals a bit.

In other words, a she's friendly and down to earth.
A great manner to have! So few doctors of any kind seem to be like this. Maybe they think their medical degree no longer means that they have to be polite?

As for the URI passing between your kitties, that's not your's or the vet's fault. To prevent it you would have had to been medicating them all when the first cat was starting to get sick. Just like with humans, it's hard to keep colds from passing to others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

If you want help finding another vet, a polite one at that.
Ask the rescuer you refer to in your post. It sounds like she would certainly be in situations with other vets that would test how patience they were when working with her. Ask friends.

As for the URI passing between your kitties, that's not your's or the vet's fault. To prevent it you would have had to been medicating them all when the first cat was starting to get sick. Just like with humans, it's hard to keep colds from passing to others.
The other vet is a little far for us to travel unfortunately but she said shes more than happy to help us out when needed and everything
And my friends mom goes to a vet close to us, and then another goes to a different one, and my moms other friend goes to another one
theres so many vets to choose from! But I want to choose the right one you know!

Also how do I go about getting my records from him (he has more stuff on file than he marked in our records that we have) Would he send them to the place or do we have to get them ourselves?

O i know that about the URI, he just acted as if that couldnt of happened and everything! Sorry I didnt clarify that better
But ya I know its no ones fault but he made it seem like it wasnt possible and he was mad because we didnt bring them in for a $50 charge when I knew what it was because well Blue got it from bella cleaning her and sharing me at night, and Blue gave it to tessa and luckily Stormie hasnt gotten it
! But I know what u mean! I didnt mean to imply that it was his fault
It was just simply how he made it out to be!

But thanx for ur input and it sounds like u have a great vet
There is one vet I like but she only does spays/nueters and shots and stuff! She doesnt have it for sick animals so to speak! But she does take care of ferals and such! She has a clinic and everything, but do I wish she had a vet office and such lol I really like her alot, except she said bella was overweight

bikeman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When we were making the change, by odd chance there was a thread in our town's forum that had this same question, so I made note of the responses and visited the closer of the top two recommended. I just walked in, and began asking questions. They were stunned at first, but were cool that they were being shopped, and quickly understood why I was on my mission to find a better and more responsible care facility. I guess people just don't do that every day.

One of the Docs took me for a little tour of their facility (without me asking), and introduced me, by name, to all the house cats (and a couple of dogs). They also showed off some rescue cats and new kittens they were taking care of until they could find new homes. This tour, and finding out the owner of the animal hospital was a cat owner exclusively, went a long way to foster trust in me. It worked.

I reported back home that we had found a good place, and have been there with one of our two a couple of times now (which reminds me I need to make an appointment for our 2-yr. old soon - oops!).

You know it's a good cat place when... The first Christmas we were with this new place, we got their annual newsletter which included a tear-jerking two page obituary/story of the life of Dave the cat, that the owner had just lost. That sealed the deal.

Remember to ask prospective vets their rates for common procedures. If they don't come clean with what they charge up front, then don't trust them. The place we used to go to could never list their prices - they kinda made them up as they wanted.

They should want to help you decide even before you need their help with an emergency.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

Also how do I go about getting my records from him (he has more stuff on file than he marked in our records that we have) Would he send them to the place or do we have to get them ourselves?
You can do either, you'll probably get a vet tech to print your out copies so you shouldn't have to deal with that awful vet.

O i know that about the URI, he just acted as if that couldnt of happened and everything!
I just wanted to make sure you knew you weren't to blame
I didn't know if the vet, with the behavior you've describe him displaying, would have accused you or your mother for being at fault.

But thanx for ur input and it sounds like u have a great vet
There is one vet I like but she only does spays/nueters and shots and stuff!
If you feel comfortable doing so, share you experience with her and ask if she knows of another, more polite vet.

I personally believe no professional should ever raise their voice at a customer, not only is that extremely rude, it's a good way to lose business.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bikeman

Remember to ask prospective vets their rates for common procedures. If they don't come clean with what they charge up front, then don't trust them. The place we used to go to could never list their prices - they kinda made them up as they wanted.

They should want to help you decide even before you need their help with an emergency.
you got a great point there! Thanks for that advice! I will definetly be asking prices up front!

Originally Posted by strange_wings

You can do either, you'll probably get a vet tech to print your out copies so you shouldn't have to deal with that awful vet.

I just wanted to make sure you knew you weren't to blame
I didn't know if the vet, with the behavior you've describe him displaying, would have accused you or your mother for being at fault.
If you feel comfortable doing so, share you experience with her and ask if she knows of another, more polite vet.

I personally believe no professional should ever raise their voice at a customer, not only is that extremely rude, it's a good way to lose business.
See the thing is is its just him
so we cant go and have a vet tech unfortunately! Also my mom did mention how midnight is showing "maturity" of being a male and trying to do naughty things
SO my mom did ask him about that because he was the one who nuetered Midnight! Luckily all of the other kitties were fixed some where else, and out of all the males who have been fixed Midnight is the only "naughty" one

I am def going to have to ask her if she has any recommondations!

But yes my mom was very mad at him raising his voice, and she had picked me up that day and she was just blown away and well her mood wasnt the greatest that day
but she told him he just lost himself alot of money

So now is the hunt and search for a good vet
I am very choosey so to speak too
Just for being sick and checkups, but for the shots and everything we def go to the clinic lady Dr. Nance

But thank u everyone for such great advice

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Karen provided the link to an excellent aritcle!

I would consider:
A) What types of animals the vet treats
B) How many years experience they have
C) Any reviews you can get from anyone
D) How they handle all your animals
E) Their protocols on vaccinations, reccomendations on treatments, etc

I mean, the vet in town is close, resonably priced, but "I have never seen a case of FeLV. I do not reccomend testing or vaccinating." It is as if he has never seen it therefore it does not exist(Just FYI-I have seen dozens of cats with FeLV in a year at the HS 15 minutes away). He is also always right. I'm just a stupid kid.

I usually end up going to a vet several times before I decide if I like them or not!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a site called City search where people go in and rate various things, including vets. that's how I found the vet I take Luna and Whitey to. The first one on this side of town didn't know what to do about Luna's bloody poo (from last year) and kept saying "I don't know what it is..." errr...not exactly what I wanted to hear!

Anyway the one I go to now are only $2 for shots and such and its worth it.