Diamond Pet Foods has announced it is withdrawing a limited number of canned products

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

Diamond Pet Foods has announced it is withdrawing a limited number of canned products manufactured by American Nutrition. This action is limited to three specific canned products: Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Kitten Formula 5.5 oz. cans, and Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Puppy Formula 13 oz. cans, and Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula for Dogs 13 oz. cans.

Diamond Pet Foods has not received any indication of quality or safety issues, including pet illness, with the three withdrawn products. However, because American Nutrition informed the company that these three specific products may include rice protein concentrate, Diamond Pet Foods felt this action was necessary for the protection of its customers and their pets.

Customers with these products should stop feeding them immediately and return them to their retailer for a full refund.

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul dry pet food and dog treats ARE NOT part of any pet food or treat recall

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Come on people..enough recalls already

Tucker had better find a RAW that he likes soon...I'm done with pet food companies

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is becoming almost ridiculous....I am in disbelief. What has happened in our world?

sake&pennys dad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I'm reading this right on Itchmo, although RPC is not listed, it might still be an ingredient in the canned food?

"However, because American Nutrition informed the company that these three specific products may include rice protein concentrate, Diamond Pet Foods felt this action was necessary for the protection of its customers and their pets."

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When will it end!!!!!
I just spent well over $100 :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor: dollars on my Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lovers Soul!!!!!!! What the devil am i supposed to feed my cats! I will be taking ALL of my Chicken Soup products back to the store tomorrow
even though these are dry- i obviously can NOT trust this company and will never use any of their products again! This makes me really upset- i just special ordered 3 of the largest bags of kitten food they had! Not to mention spent a small fortune on the adult formulas. I'm sure the dry will be next- i am not waiting to find out. GREAT now what am i supposed to feed them all and my fosters

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't jump the gun with the dry CS yet.
I am feeding it to my boys at this time, though I didn't feel secure feeding them the kitten formula since that's what this RPC seems to be most used in various brands kitten formulas.

I'm hoping that the food I was feeding Caster & Pollux kitten isn't contaminated, the plant did have two other RPC venders...
I probably won't know till Monday or whenever the FDA meets with higher ups at the local plant.

Just a word of caution though, if the brand did contain a recalled ingredient do not trust the brand's site saying that the food is safe. Obviously Caster & Pollux lied (FDA test are not back yet), other brands can too.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just E-mailed Diamond asking for some answers. I told them that if they could not PROVE to me that the products DID NOT contain RPC or any other contaminated ingredient, I was discontinuing use of their product. I think that I'm going to anyway, I've lost faith in them.

So much for a slow transition onto grain-free food. I only have about a cup of CS kitten food left (purchased 2 months ago) and I'm taking back the new bag. I'm completely in shock...I thought that CS was safe.
should've known better! Nothing is safe!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I wouldn't jump the gun with the dry CS yet.
I am feeding it to my boys at this time, though I didn't feel secure feeding them the kitten formula since that's what this RPC seems to be most used in various brands kitten formulas.

I'm hoping that the food I was feeding Caster & Pollux kitten isn't contaminated, the plant did have two other RPC venders...
I probably won't know till Monday or whenever the FDA meets with higher ups at the local plant.

Just a word of caution though, if the brand did contain a recalled ingredient do not trust the brand's site saying that the food is safe. Obviously Caster & Pollux lied (FDA test are not back yet), other brands can too.
The way i see it now, it's not jumping the gun, it's being cautious and trying to stop using something that could potentially hurt my kitties. This week alone at our animal shelter we've had to put down 3 cats due to renal failure- it is a HORRIBLE death to watch them suffer....i will do everything in my power to prevent my little kitties from getting it if i can. That means to me not feeding ANY foods made by any company involved in the recall, who uses these manufactures involved in the recall or unnecessary ingredients which could potentially be contaminated. Since both wet and dry formulas of Chicken Soup contain rice.....to me, that means i can't trust it. So i will not chance it
All of the bags i purchased will be going back to the store tomorrow. I just pray they refund me or let me trade them for something safe. At this point i don't trust any companies. I am seriously considering just making my own food- but i was holding off on doing that because if a person does not know what they're doing and starts making their own food - it can do more harm than good if the kitty is not getting a balanced diet. So i'd like to hold off as long as i can so i can research- but at this point- i'm going to research like crazy because i have a feeling the recalls are not over and i will only feel safe feeding my kitties homemade foods- i'm going to talk with my vet tomorrow about what i need to include
I'm soo upset i'm ready to cry over this - to make matters worse- i always have a ton of foster kittens around here too so not only do i have to worry about my kitties- i too worry about my foster kitties and the ones at our shelter

Originally Posted by kittiesx2

I just E-mailed Diamond asking for some answers. I told them that if they could not PROVE to me that the products DID NOT contain RPC or any other contaminated ingredient, I was discontinuing use of their product. I think that I'm going to anyway, I've lost faith in them.

So much for a slow transition onto grain-free food. I only have about a cup of CS kitten food left (purchased 2 months ago) and I'm taking back the new bag. I'm completely in shock...I thought that CS was safe.
should've known better! Nothing is safe!
Please let us know if Diamond responds to you
I am soo frusterated! Do they have a toll free number we can call for info?Also- what grain free foods are safe? do you know??

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll bump the grain free thread back up to the top. It has all available grain free's. Timberwolf Organics Serengeti looks good, I think we're going to try that one and shipping is free at their website.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'll bump the grain free thread back up to the top. It has all available grain free's. Timberwolf Organics Serengeti looks good, I think we're going to try that one and shipping is free at their website.
I wouldn't mind trying it ...but the price is SOOOOO expensive
When i'm feeding all of my kitties not to mention foster kittens it just adds up soo fast. I'm looking for something mid-range that is grain free with good ingredients that has no association with any recalls whatsoever...ahhh does such a product exist
I might just have to try the Serengeti....I was thinking of trying one of the Innova or Evo products..but i do not want to as Natura’s canned foods are made exclusively in a Menu Foods South Dakota plant. Even though Natura's brands have vowed to make their own canning plant it is not good enough in my opinion because even though they're not using the plants directly affected- they're still doing business with Menu foods....and i don't trust that.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MY trouble IS THEY Didnt KNOW that was in there canned food???? HOW do you not know what is in your formulas??? I understood the Not knowing what supplier if a third party made the food but COMMMON>>>>>>>

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

MY trouble IS THEY Didnt KNOW that was in there canned food???? HOW do you not know what is in your formulas??? I understood the Not knowing what supplier if a third party made the food but COMMMON>>>>>>>
Exactly, How could they NOT know what they're putting into their food? It's Messed UP!! I've lost my trust in them. I just want to know that I'm feeding my cats something that is safe,but who can we trust at this point?

sake&pennys dad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

. This week alone at our animal shelter we've had to put down 3 cats due to renal failure- it is a HORRIBLE death to watch them suffer....
So very sorry to hear that

It's stories like this that are not making the mainstream news and just makes me soooo d..n angry

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Exactly. That is what frightens me about todays Natural Balance recall. My cats love the Venison and Pea and I just stocked up on it- before I read about the recall. Now what...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sake&Pennys dad

So very sorry to hear that

It's stories like this that are not making the mainstream news and just makes me soooo d..n angry
It's sooo frusterating! All three kitties were young, and in good shape (considering) but had just recently lost DRASTIC amounts of weight to the point you could see all the bones/etc....It was aweful. One of the kitties was owner surrendered because the owner (who loved the kitty dearly) had already spend hundreds on trying to treat the kittys renal failure and could no longer afford it- so she thought she would be better off at our shetler. Please note this owner had fed this kitty food which is now recalled
It was a young kitty and before all this recall junk was supposedly in good health. We tried all we could at the shelter- but it just got to the point that she was suffering more than we could help her. Us putting her down was the kindest thing we could do. The other two kitties suffered similar cases- although we don't know their background- it sure makes us wonder
And of course, now we won't know- a huge shelter like ours depends on donations, and has a strict budget....we don't have a ton of money to send off every single animal who goes into renal failure for an autopsey/tests. It's sad.

and another thing i was just thinking of a moment ago when i was talking on the phone to my mom......i already spend a ton of time every day in the kitchen preparing kitten formula, preparing chicken & rice (homemade) for my sick kitties on the brat diet......it would be cheaper and probably just as easy for me to make all of my own kitty food. I would feel a lot better knowing EXACTLY what they're eating and i think it will not be too hard. I will call the vet tomorrow and find out what i need to include/etc to make sure their diet will be balanced and then i'm going to the pet store to get a refund for all that chicken soup i bought....with the money i get back i'm getting a food processor and i'm going to start making my own or at least give it a shot. What do i have to loose at this point
It seems like the safest option and probably the most cost efficient considering i can freeze/store things as well.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah...exactly.

-On one hand, they DIDN'T know that RPC was being put in their foods.
-But, they DO know which flavors did have RPC added, without their consent? Yeah, right.

Now, if they didn't know what was going on...because they were "lied to", then how can I believe that they really know which ones are "not affected". HUH?

Same story with Chicken Soup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ingredient list is nearly identical for "cat" CS canned, and "kitten" CS canned...the only difference is a bit more fat in the kitten. So, how in the world can they know that the kitten had RPC added, but the cat did NOT? HUH?

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I e-mailed Diamond earlier in regards to the recall and any possible contamination of either CS Kitten Dry or Diamond Natural Lamb and Rice (what our dog eats) Here is their reply....

This product is perfectly safe. We manufacture it in our own plants and it
is not affected by any product recall. Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice dry
dog food is also not affected by the recall and is safe to continue feeding.

The canned products are manufactured for us by American Nutrition. They used
rice protein concentrate that was purchased from Wilbur Ellis. This is a
precautionary recall. None of our canned products have tested positive for
melamine, nor have we had any reports of illness, but we are recalling this
formula and the Puppy formula because rice protein concentrate was used in
the recipe.

Sincerely,

--
Melissa Brookshire, DVM
Director of Veterinary Services
Diamond Pet Foods
573-229-4203 (office)

I don't think that this made me feel any better...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.diamondpet.com/vet_notes/cats/95/

Q: Rice protein concentrate is not on the label. Why is it in the food?
A: We’re working with the FDA to determine this. Diamond Pet Foods did not formulate or label these 3 formulas to contain rice protein concentrate. While the FDA is investigating this, current information indicates this error is a result of a manufacturing deviation by American Nutrition.

That question is about halfway down!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

"This product is perfectly safe. We manufacture it in our own plants"
I somehow doubt this, most pet foods are made at plants that make multiple brands on a contract basis. As many realized with Menu Foods recalls. To my knowledge, Purina is the only one large enough to own their own plants to make their own foods. All of these plants produce several hundred tons of food a day.

Has anyone else noticed the double speak or vague answers that are in these emails?

Since Castor & Pollux's site is not completely telling the truth concerning their RPC containing foods and because the local plant making it sent two forgotten samples just the day before yesterday (no news back from the FDA), I decided to send them a somewhat technical email earlier to see just what sort of reply they respond with.

I tried to make it as difficult as possible for them to step around my question with a vague answer.