TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Diamond Pet Foods has announced it is withdrawing a limited number of canned products
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Diamond Pet Foods has announced it is withdrawing a limited number of canned products - Page 2

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
I was thinking this also, didn't a company that makes raw get recalled for salmonella?
Yes thou futher tests yeilded no salmonella...
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
I was thinking this also, didn't a company that makes raw get recalled for salmonella?
I believe that was Wild Kitty.
post #33 of 45
Hi
I have been reading this forum for a while but never posted it now. I felt i should post what i learned this morning from Chicken Soup guys. First i sent my email to Chicken Soup from their website. I got a phone call in 3 minutes from them. Here is what we discussed. First they manufacture their own dry food and it is safe according to Chicken Soup. Second they are recalling the 3 wet foods because they found out that rice protein was added but should not have been. They do not use rice protein and they dont buy anything from China according to the person i spoke with. She said the adult cat food was safe they traced the mistake back to the recalled products only. I asked if they would be manufacturing their own wet food and they said not at this point. Now i know this will not comfort alot of people but i have been feeding my 8 month old kitten and my 11 year old cat chicken soup a month before all this recall nightmare started. Cats are fine , I did have vets run a test when the first recall started. Cats were fine . The lady at Chicken Soup said she was a vet and she understood my panic. So here is what i took from the conversation, Dry food is safe, adult cat food is safe but i am gonna wait a bit before i feed them. I am sticking with dry food for a while til this is settled. I must say i never expected to hear from them and i was shocked at how fast they responded to my email. I believe they are doing what is best for the pets and are not taking risks. I hope this helps
post #34 of 45
Welcome to TCS Starry!

I think it was great of CS to actually call you & discuss their food. It upsets me that they did not know RPC was added, but....the fact that they recalled their food & didn't hide it helps a little.
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
The way that I look at this is they are doing this as a PRECAUTIONARY recall......Well, Diamond foods is trying to keep our pets safe by checking and double checking that any of this poison did not get into their food, how is that making them not trustworthy? they are putting themselves out on a limb by recalling this food.....I have great faith in a company that will voluntarily expose itself to loss of business in order to keep our pets' health as their first and foremost concern

ETA also see the Blue Buffalo thread, apparently they were the victims of product tampering done by American Nutrition also, same situation, RCP was being added to their food
I'm new here and don't want to come across as being harsh, but I have to disagree with you.
IMO it's more of a CYA situation. Sure, they're concerned for our pets, in a $$ way -big picture future $$.
I also feel it's a complete copout to solely blame the food manufacturer. IF your going to sub out and have another company make the product for you, whether it's pet food or widgets, it is YOUR responsibility for quality control checks. Sound business plans demand it. It's your name on the label. NB & CS failed that test. How do you not know
what is in your pet food or widgets? Unacceptable IMHO.
Again, sorry if my post seems harsh. It's not my intention.
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
I believe that was Wild Kitty.
i knew it had kitty in the name!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake&Pennys dad View Post
I'm new here and don't want to come across as being harsh, but I have to disagree with you.
IMO it's more of a CYA situation. Sure, they're concerned for our pets, in a $$ way -big picture future $$.
I also feel it's a complete copout to solely blame the food manufacturer. IF your going to sub out and have another company make the product for you, whether it's pet food or widgets, it is YOUR responsibility for quality control checks. Sound business plans demand it. It's your name on the label. NB & CS failed that test. How do you not know
what is in your pet food or widgets? Unacceptable IMHO.
Again, sorry if my post seems harsh. It's not my intention.
but, don't you think that them recalling food now is not costing them megabucks in present and future sales? the food that is currently on the shelves will be destroyed and they for sure are gonig to take a hit in future sales due to lack of, at least to me, uniformed, consumer's confidence. if you read the Blue Spa thread about their wet food recall, the exact same thing happened to them... IMO it is unreasonable for ANY food company, human or pet, to test each and every batch of food manufactured. Diamond is recalling food that has shown no trace of melamine, has had no documented cases of illlnes resulting from the consumption of said food. Now compare that to companies whose food was manufactured by Menu, who did not recall their food until untold numbers of pets had already died. Diamond is being very proactive, and that makes me feel very good about feeding my babies Chicken Soup.

and no, your post was not harsh, I just have a differing opinion

to be honest, my thought on this whole thing is that melamine has been in the pet food the whole time, China did not suddenly decide to start using this poison recently, there was just a batch that had much higher than "normal" levels of it and these levels were enough to sicken and in some cases kill our pets. My hope is that from this fiasco there WILL be tghter restrictions on what is put in the food and more quality control
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
the safest would be home cooking or rawing
This is exactly what i'm starting to do as of today. I personally am sick and tired over worrying over what's going to be recalled next and if it will potentially kill or harm my animals. To me, the safest thing i can do is to start making everything my kitties and foster kittens eat...i am accountable and responsible for their health and well being and i do not feel it is in their best interest for me to feed them products that are under scrutiney and could potentially kill them. So it's going to be home made meals for them from now on. Also- the ingredients will be better, and i will know exactly what's in it- not have to worry about some company lying to me or not even knowing what's in their own products. Sharky has given me several wonderful recipes already and i am calling my vet's office in a minute to double check what nutrients/etc i need to include to make everything safe and balance. It's home made from now on here. I can no longer trust the majority of these pet food companies and it's all just getting outrageous. SO home made it is! Now i just need a food processor!
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
... IMO it is unreasonable for ANY food company, human or pet, to test each and every batch of food manufactured.

and no, your post was not harsh, I just have a differing opinion

to be honest, my thought on this whole thing is that melamine has been in the pet food the whole time, China did not suddenly decide to start using this poison recently, there was just a batch that had much higher than "normal" levels of it and these levels were enough to sicken and in some cases kill our pets. My hope is that from this fiasco there WILL be tghter restrictions on what is put in the food and more quality control
Hi Katiemae1277
I'm in complete agreement with you that melamine has been in in pet food all this time...at lower levels. My vet & I had this conversation last week.

I do not think it's unreasonable to think any food company to periodically check / test their product that is outsourced. I have a feeling that American Nutrition's changing of the formula is not a recent event. Which leads to the question, does / has companies ever checked / tested their food products? I don't know. It's so frustrating.

I'm so glad I found this website. At least I can make somewhat informed decisions on what to feed my two loved ones. Thanks to all that contribute to the health of my Sake & Penny
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay's Human View Post
Once my head stops spinning, I am going to have another serious talk with the kitties. They need to understand exactly why they need to like and start eating their NV Raw Medallions.
I am with you on that one!
Diesel Loves his Raw but Tucker's being difficult lately...I don't know what to do other than keep giving him the option and hoping for the best. The only way that he'll do more than lick it if I bury a spoonful of Merricks New England Boil in the center of his chicken and warm the whole thing up. Then He'll take a few bites but I end up throwing most of it away
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesx2 View Post
I am with you on that one!
Diesel Loves his Raw but Tucker's being difficult lately...I don't know what to do other than keep giving him the option and hoping for the best. The only way that he'll do more than lick it if I bury a spoonful of Merricks New England Boil in the center of his chicken and warm the whole thing up. Then He'll take a few bites but I end up throwing most of it away
Have you tried tuna juice or chn broth ... heating can cause issues with raw food
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Have you tried tuna juice or chn broth ... heating can cause issues with raw food
Yep, tried both...he won't do more than lick it off
I heat it in a plastic bag in a bowl of warm water...is that okay? He won't even touch it cold/room temp.
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesx2 View Post
Yep, tried both...he won't do more than lick it off
I heat it in a plastic bag in a bowl of warm water...is that okay? He won't even touch it cold/room temp.
Meat starts to cook at 116 F( ie why a mircowave defrost can start cookin the meat) .... so for us that is just warm... or at least me as my fish tanks are about 80 and it is still a bit cold... You may want to try a homemade diet with him instead of raw
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Meat starts to cook at 116 F( ie why a mircowave defrost can start cookin the meat) .... so for us that is just warm... or at least me as my fish tanks are about 80 and it is still a bit cold... You may want to try a homemade diet with him instead of raw

My only response is

I've thought about making homemade but really would rather do raw IF I can get him to eat it. Maybe I'll try re-introducing raw to him a little at a time in his wet food and see what happens. He was eating it well until I tried giving him beef. The first time that I gave beef to him he threw up and seems to have lost enthusiasm since then( I'm sticking to chicken with him for now).
post #44 of 45
I figured out a way to get Tucker to eat his food!
I crushed a couple of Wildside Salmon kitty treats between my fingers and sprinkled it on top. *POOF* Just like that the food all vanished! YAY!!!
*fingers crossed that it keeps working*
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesx2 View Post
I figured out a way to get Tucker to eat his food!
I crushed a couple of Wildside Salmon kitty treats between my fingers and sprinkled it on top. *POOF* Just like that the food all vanished! YAY!!!
*fingers crossed that it keeps working*
OPPS... I use that to bribe Kandie alot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Diamond Pet Foods has announced it is withdrawing a limited number of canned products