Is it alot or or is it a lot?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like almost everybody on this site says alot. Yet, this word does not appear in the American English dictionary. My wife is a college English Professor even though English is her second language. She says there is no such word as alot. However, my English professor in school once told me "common usage makes something correct." So, which is it, a lot or alot?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's 2 separate words!! There's no such word as "alot", and your college professor is an idiot for saying "common usage makes something correct" - that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!!

Listen to your wife

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ermm i might have to go through some of my posts , i can not remember if i put a lot of alot, but i voted a lot as alot didnt look right at all.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I think its a lot, but when I was a little kid I thought LMNO was one letter in the alphabet.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a lot, but I think "alot" should be accepted by the dictionary. They've accepted some pretty idiotic slang words. By comparison "alot" is not so bad.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot. I had an English teacher that would heavily mark me down if I used "alot". I've remembered ever since.

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is a lot, two words however I commonly misspell it (Thank God for spell check). The common usage this is true, "ain't" is not a word but you will find it and many other "non-words" in Webster's Dictionary thereby making it a word. Every year they add words that have come into usage, last one of year's words was "crackberry" if I'm not mistaken.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
AHHHH you've just touched on one of my biggest pet peeves ever. Don't get me started on grammar!! It is "a lot". No room for argument there.

Originally Posted by sarahp

It's 2 separate words!! There's no such word as "alot", and your college professor is an idiot for saying "common usage makes something correct" - that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!!

Listen to your wife
Couldn't agree more.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DeeLovely79

It is a lot, two words however I commonly misspell it (Thank God for spell check). The common usage this is true, "ain't" is not a word but you will find it and many other "non-words" in Webster's Dictionary thereby making it a word. Every year they add words that have come into usage, last one of year's words was "crackberry" if I'm not mistaken.
But there's a difference between common usage and misspelling!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

AHHHH you've just touched on one of my biggest pet peeves ever. Don't get me started on grammar!! It is "a lot". No room for argument there.

Couldn't agree more.
Me too!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The correct term is A Lot (well with out caps of course sometimes lol) But I often write alot whenever i am typing quickly or what not

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

The correct term is A Lot (well with out caps of course sometimes lol) But I often write alot whenever i am typing quickly or what not
same here! I know it is a lot but it often runs on and I don't bother to change it

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say alot all the time!!! To me even though it may not be the correct word, it looks better and it's just the norm for me.If I am doing wrong or improper English, then so be it.
Just like there is NOT suppose to be the word AINT, I use it all the time.