Cool feature on Vista

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know how many of you are running Microsoft Vista yet for the OS. But if you are, and you have the RSS News Feed running on the sidebar thing, you can actually add TCS's recent threads to the RSS feed! It's so cool!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what the sidebar looks like (I still have XP Pro until my Mac gets here, tommorow or Sat) but I have something similar to that in Firefox. That way all I have to do to find new threads is put the cursor over it.

Yours sounds cooler though.

I have to admit it took me forever to figure out what that thing even was.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All in all, would you recommend Vista? I've been toying with the idea of getting it for our computer, but I'm the one who's tech-savvy and J isn't, so it's got to be relatively easy for us both to use or he'll get grumpy (it's his computer). And yes, it would run on our computer.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Firefox has RSS feeds as well
In the address bar, on the right hand side, there's a little orange box with the corner cut out and little black lines on it. Click on that, and you can subscribe that way. Save you getting Vista

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I get home tonight I'll see if I can walk you through it.

It's cool that Firefox already has this, but this is actually on the desktop in Vista!
It's very cool.
Start up your computer and immediately see the most recent threads, without even having to launch a browser.

I have only been using it for less than a week, but at this point I think I would recommend the upgrade to Vista if your computer will handle it. It is definitely a resource hog, but for the average user there is just some plain ol' cool features. For the tech side, a lot has changed, but it's not unmanageable.

Best part is that there is a CompUSA that is closing and having massive sales. They just marked stuff down to 30-50% off, and Vista was one of the things 50% off. Can't beat getting Vista Ultra (upgrade) for $129 instead of $255! Thank goodness we happened to have some extra this week... (And I let our IT guy know about it too, so he got 20 copies for the company - and saved us about $3000 in buying them earlier than planned
)

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no thanks, i dont need my internet or pc slowing down.
I dont like anything that going to slow the boot process how it try to load feeds for stuff.
its a personal choice, but i can see friends calling me now, going hey my cpu is at 20% and i cant do anything. only to find stuff like that, weather bug, stock stuff runnning etc.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

All in all, would you recommend Vista? I've been toying with the idea of getting it for our computer, but I'm the one who's tech-savvy and J isn't, so it's got to be relatively easy for us both to use or he'll get grumpy (it's his computer). And yes, it would run on our computer.
No, I don't recommend getting Vista. At least not yet.

The OS is too new.There aren't that many drivers for it. Many programs won't work with Vista as yet. Vista is only a 32 Bit OS at the present time. A good OS is 64 Bit.

Even Dell has recinded their demand that their customers only get Vista on new computers.

http://www.techspot.com/story.php?id=25004

When I went and bought my new computer after I returned my Dell, I told the sales guy that I wanted Windows XP Pro and not Vista, and he was in agreement and said that they do their best to disuade people from getting Vista at this point because it's too new of a system and too buggy.

Stick with Windows XP Pro if that's what you have. If not, you mind want to upgrade to XP Pro and stick with it. I can see me using XP Pro long after it's support is discontinued.

The only thing about Vista that I liked is their 3D Bubble Screensaver, and I managed to find it online for XP Pro at this link:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop...ed-to-XP.shtml

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-44716.html