First aid for cats - any book recommendations?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously any injured animal should see a vet ASAP, but there could (although hopefully not!) come a time when the knowledgable use of first aid could make the critical difference between whether my beloved pets actually make it to the vet alive and treatable or too far gone.

I know human first aid, have books about it to keep my knowledge refreshed, and have a very well stocked first aid kit. I know bird first aid, and have a bird first aid kit.

But I need to brush up my cat first aid knowledge, so was wondering whether anyone could recommend any good books covering the subject?

Also do you have first aid kits for your pets? And what do you have in them? My bird first aid kit contains things like a small pair of pliers for removing broken/bleeding blood feathers, cornstarch to stem bleeding from small scratches, betadine solution, rescue remedy, tape to stabilise an injured wing... etc. etc. - all things that may need to be attended to immediately before heading to the vet to prevent further injury or deterioration on route.

Obviously one for cats would have some differences and I would be interested to hear what items people have on hand in case of emergency.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a book that I have had for about 30 years. I will have to get the name tonight but I will post it tomorrow. I don't know if it is even still in print, but it is a great book on cats- physiology, reproduction, etc. It also has a great section on symptoms and emergency first aid! I still refer to it.
I don't have a first aid kit - but that is such a good idea! I am definately going to put one together - and refer to my book because I bet they have a suggested ingredient list in there.
Also, try going to thepetplace.com - I subscribe to their cat newsletter, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have a first aid section!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This book is a FANTASTIC resource. I recommend it to any and all cat owners, especially new ones.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw some books of the sort at Pet Supplies Plus! I can't make any recommendations because I myself am looking for a good first aid book... It will be interesting to see what people come up with!

black&tan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
by Delbert G. Carlson and James M. Giffin

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Black&Tan

That's the one I was looking at when I went to Pet Supplies Plus! I think it was around $40!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

That's the one I was looking at when I went to Pet Supplies Plus! I think it was around $40!
MOST pet stores now have a pet first aid kit( pet stores I mean)... I did like I did with the human one read what was in it and made my own... TALKING with a vet is a major help ( i learned animal cpr , hymlic and other things from the vet just by asking

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That's useful information... Sounds silly but where can I learn the cpr/hymlic techniques?
Human your local red cross some evan cover companion animals

I learned from my vet and that was a conventional vet ... the holstic taught me a whole new ball of wax

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Originally Posted by GingersMom

This book is a FANTASTIC resource. I recommend it to any and all cat owners, especially new ones.

That is the exact book I recommended.
Under $17 through Amazon, and worth EVERY penny, just in peace of mind alone.

angie8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That would be my recommendaton, also......have had this book for years and love it!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the Cornell Book of Cats. It's written in somewhat medical terms but fairly comprehensive. It goes well beyond first aid and I've used it to help diagnose problems with my cats. In fact, I diagnosed a cardiac problem with one of my feral cats before the vet did, even though he had seen him twice. It's not light reading but still recommend it for folks with a small understanding of biology or medicine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you thank you!

I was a bit concerned that recommendations from US members may be hard to come by here, but I have checked and Amazon UK stock both the Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook, and the Cornell Book of Cats (I read science & medical journals for fun so I think I should enjoy that one given your description Momofmany!) My parents owe me a birthday present because I couldn't think of anything I wanted at the time, so I may have them order these for me

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also become certified in animal first aid through your local American Red Cross. I found it to be a certification worth earning, especially for the hands on experience in practicing CPR and the Heimlich maneuver while being observed by a professional to ensure that you're doing it correctly. You also have the option to buy the book to keep handy

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The book that I have had for several years is The Well Cat Book by Terry McGinnis, DVM, published by Random House. I love this book because it has a very comprehensive index of signs and symptoms, as well as a very large section on how to handle emergency situatons, from poisons to snake bites!