those of you whose cats have had crystals removed

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering how long it took for your kitty to go back to it's old self. vet said a day or 2 she should feel better. She's walking funny and feels like she has to pee all the time, sits in the box for such long periods of time. normal?She hasn't gone after me once either which is not like her (not that I'm complaining about that)though I do understand she just had surgery, and she obviously sore, she's even been walking a bit off. thought I'd ask

mlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty Mystic had problems with crystles in his urine. He had to be on a special diet to prevent thier return. He almost died from complications but the vet did end up saving him. I am not sure if it was via surgery or if it was something else. He got the Cystles when I was a child and he ended up passing away when I was 19 from en-explained causes. I had moved away from home and when I came back to visit my parents had said that he passed....and they wanted to wait to tell me in person. He didn't exibit any symptoms and seemed healty when I saw him but I have a suspicion that perhaps it had to do with the crystols re-occuring as at the time my parents had multiple cats and might not have noticed if mystic wasn't properly urinating.

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Pico had struvite crystals flushed from his bladder under anesthesia. It was done overnight and we picked him up the next afternoon. It took him about a day to perk up again, and about 1-2 days before he had regular litter box habits again.

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Snickers (neutered male) had crystals 2 years ago. He nearly died from them due to his age. He was 14 at the time.

He spent one solid week on a catheter; they took the catheter out TWO TIMES while he was in the hospital and he kept blocking up. FINALLY he was flushed and started peeing properly.

He began eating properly within hours of the crystals being flushed and has not blocked up again. And this is in a household of 8 cats, but I watch him like a hawk and am one vigilant mother!

Snickers recovered very well --- given his age. If your cat is young, I think they will have a better recovery. Snicky was put under a total of 3 times in one week and his poor heart barely could handle it. I was SO distraught.

Your kit may have some tenderness down there after passing the crystals. Snickers did, mainly cuz the crystals were so big and the catheter being 'up there' for a week... he kept on licking himself. But he went back to using the box and eating.

Also the diet must change... to the stuff labled for 'urinary tract health' and also "special diet". I didn't buy the expensive stuff the Vet tried to talk me into... thank god too, cuz of the food recall... it woulda been on the list.

I went with Purina.

Good luck, your kit should make it through this just fine and return to normal. If my boy did I should think any kit would. Crystals sometimes return. In Snickers case, they did not.

angie8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 7 yr old cat, Chandler, had a cystotomy done back in October to remove calcium oxalate stones from his bladder. It was 4 days after surgery before he had a "normal" flow of urine. During those first 4 days post-op, he spent unbelievable amounts of time in the litter box straining to only get out drops or very small streams of urine, alot of times mixed with blood. Very scary for me to see this, but very normal for recovery after bladder surgery. I never thought I'd be so excited to see a cat urinate
!!

I believe up to a week or so would be within the realm of possibility for recovery after bladder surgery.

ladybass0711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Give her at least 3-4 days before you get to concerned unless she stops eating or going to the bathrom completly. My female took this long before she got back to normal.

buddha&meeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just picked up our 4yr old male today (4hours ago) and he's not acting normal either. The vet wasn't too helpful either, and I am getting worried. He doesn't make it to the cat box at all. When he starts to relax (i.e. lying down, sprawled out) he urinates. It's quite bloody, and he was so fastidious about his cat box before, and when he urinates, he moves to a different spot in the house. It's very odd. Did others have this problem too? The catheter was inplace for 2 days. I'm encouraged that he's actually urinating, but his appetite hasn't come back and his urination worries me, he also seems to be running a fever. Is this normal? Or should I be concerned and take him into the e.clinic?

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by buddha&Meeko

We just picked up our 4yr old male today (4hours ago) and he's not acting normal either. The vet wasn't too helpful either, and I am getting worried. He doesn't make it to the cat box at all. When he starts to relax (i.e. lying down, sprawled out) he urinates. It's quite bloody, and he was so fastidious about his cat box before, and when he urinates, he moves to a different spot in the house. It's very odd. Did others have this problem too? The catheter was inplace for 2 days. I'm encouraged that he's actually urinating, but his appetite hasn't come back and his urination worries me, he also seems to be running a fever. Is this normal? Or should I be concerned and take him into the e.clinic?
I would at the minimum call the emergency vet.

I have had two cats that had to have surgery to remove crystals from their bladders. One had a very large nickel sized stone that was like 5 pie shaped pieces that made up the whole circle. ( think of a trivial pursuit game piece).

This kitty was very very ill after his surgery. The vet told us to take him home and not expect him to live. (yea this was 22 years ago). It took about a month of dedicated nursing but he did pull through, and lived to be 24

My other kitty had a pocket in her bladder where crystals settled. She was sore for about a week, but used her litter box right away after the surgery.

Both cats came home with major antibiotics. Neither had fevers.

I think if your cat has signs of a fever, this is an emergency and the vet should be consulted. Did your vet give you pain meds for your kitty?

I hope your kitty starts to feel better soon. Keep us posted.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry he is back at the vets, but very glad that you listened to your instincts and made the call. I am hoping it is nothing too serious and they get your boy back on track quickly.

Please keep us posted. If you want start a new thread just for your kitty. Is is buddha or Meeko that is sick?

Lots of healing vibes coming your way.