HELP:Five day old orphan kittie wont poop =(

iilovetuelxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so my mom brought me this cat she found at her husbands dads house and she found this kitty that was all alone underneath a truck, she looked for the mom but no sign of her. Ive had the cat since onday afternoon and he has been eating his kittten formula every 2 hours and has been peeing every time i stimulate him. BUT he hasnt pooped and ive looked up other ways to try to help him poop and he just wont. SO for the tow days ive had him he hasnt pooped and im scared for him =( should i take him to the vet or wait or what do i do? im very very scared for him! please give me advice thanks

-Kristen

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for taking in this little one.
first of i would take him to a vet if he hasnt seen one already , they will give you tips on how to care for him , how to remove flees if he has any etc.
but in the mean time 2 days isnt to bad at the moment , because of the change with milk he might be a bit consapaited , try rubbing his tummy gentley before stimulating him see if this helps , if by tomorrow he hasnt pooed then a vet check is in order.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iilovetuelxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well this morning first thing i called around and finaly after talking to 7 vet offices a vet actually spoke with me, i told her i found the kitten and that he is 6 days old and he is eating well and she sayd he is fine and that in her experiences kittens that a eating the kitten formula usualy dont poop for a while to only be concerned if he hadnt pooped in ten days so i was SO realived but GUESS what my kittie pooped tonight =) yay it wasnt much just two little balls lol is that ok is there supposed to be more of it? thanks for asking though =)

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im so glad he pooped , 10 days seems a long time for a kitten not to poop though?
but as long as he pooped that is fine they dont normally poo a lot in one go.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah for the poops! (only on this forum would I say that
) Thank you for taking such good care of this little guy. Sounds like he has it made

megmar6853

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to warn you from personal experience. If the kitten was abandoned it probably means the mother knew there was something wrong with it. I am a siamese breeder. I have raised many litters. In my experience when the mother seperates the kitten there is a congenital defect.
I have only lost two kittens in my experience. Thank you Lord
The first kitten was in my first litter. The kitten was doing fine until he was nine days old at which he rapidly lost weight. Around the twelvth day she seperated him. I tried to bottle feed but it was no use. I took him to the emergency vet that night. He had a sever heart murmor. He died. The second kitten I lost was from a different mom. It was her first litter. She had a stillborn.
What I am trying to say is keep taking care of him, but dont get too attached until he is at least two weeks. If he survives till two weeks he will probably be fine.

Also, try to find the mom. She might be looking for him.

ladybass0711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens don't normally poop when they are on KMR. And if they do it is very little. I learned this the hard way, by the rescue group I am with. As soon as I started to feed them solid food they are going normally now.

ladybass0711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by megmar6853

I have to warn you from personal experience. If the kitten was abandoned it probably means the mother knew there was something wrong with it. I am a siamese breeder. I have raised many litters. In my experience when the mother seperates the kitten there is a congenital defect.
I have only lost two kittens in my experience. Thank you Lord
The first kitten was in my first litter. The kitten was doing fine until he was nine days old at which he rapidly lost weight. Around the twelvth day she seperated him. I tried to bottle feed but it was no use. I took him to the emergency vet that night. He had a sever heart murmor. He died. The second kitten I lost was from a different mom. It was her first litter. She had a stillborn.
What I am trying to say is keep taking care of him, but dont get too attached until he is at least two weeks. If he survives till two weeks he will probably be fine.

Also, try to find the mom. She might be looking for him.
This is not true in all cases. There are alot of kittens that are abandoned at this time of year. And we as rescues get them. Thats why we have bottle feeders. Thats why all the cat rescues dread this time of year cause of "kitten season" Kitten season has sprung early this year!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iilovetuelxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh no i hope nothing is wrong with my kitten
so far he is doing wonderful, i love him sooo much, he is 9 days today =) so hopefully he is a healthy baby boy! but thanks for the warning