I'm a computer geek! What are Excel and Outlook used for?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you all know what these programs are used for but me. In my 20 years working clerical, I've never had to use them.........I think Excel is a spreadsheet thing but Outlook?? Is it some type of internet thing?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

I'm sure you all know what these programs are used for but me. In my 20 years working clerical, I've never had to use them.........I think Excel is a spreadsheet thing but Outlook?? Is it some type of internet thing?
Outlook is Microsoft's e-mail service.

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh I know them well -

Excel is the thing I use at work which calculates formulae and runs slowly and crashes my PC and makes me have to call the IT guy.................
Outlook is the the thing I use at work for emaling and sending appointments and which runs slowly and crashes my PC and makes me have to call the IT guy...............

Ya get the picture?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Outlook is Microsoft's e-mail service.
Thanks Heather. That's what I thought. Easy to use I'd imagine.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4BadCats

Oh I know them well -

Excel is the thing I use at work which calculates formulae and runs slowly and crashes my PC and makes me have to call the IT guy.................
Outlook is the the thing I use at work for emaling and sending appointments and which runs slowly and crashes my PC and makes me have to call the IT guy...............

Ya get the picture?

Oh great.........you poor thing!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup Excel is spreadsheets.

Outlook is email, calendar, address book, but is mainly used for email. If you've used Outlook Express it's similar, just really beefed up and has more stuff.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh Excel, I have been using it in work since the early '90s and am pretty proficient. Yes it is a spreadsheet. It is easy enough to enter figures onto it and use for basic formulae such as adding up columns of figures, but writing macros and using things like 'if' statements (and similar) is more complex and requires some training or experience or maths/logic/very basic programming knowledge... but then I would say that, I am a bit of a master when it comes to Excel having been using it for so long
and I'm a geek

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Ahhh Excel, I have been using it in work since the early '90s and am pretty proficient. Yes it is a spreadsheet. It is easy enough to enter figures onto it and use for basic formulae such as adding up columns of figures, but writing macros and using things like 'if' statements (and similar) is more complex and requires some training or experience or maths/logic/very basic programming knowledge... but then I would say that, I am a bit of a master when it comes to Excel having been using it for so long
and I'm a geek
Ah.... then you remember the old days of Lotus 1-2-3....

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love using excel - I use it for statistics and it makes it so much easier, especially when doing graphs!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Oh yes I had that on my home PC. Before we had anything like that at work we used Super-Calc. And before that... lets just say that the computer took up the entire room, cost more than a house, and could just about be used to play space invaders... if you didn't mind the fact that the alien ships looked like this- ^ It had one hell of a database on it mind you

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Hey! I use Lotus Notes at work... it's the big PIA that crashes my computer and makes me call the IT guy..... wait......

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Excel is the devil as far as I'm concerned. I actually own it, because I have Microsoft Office. I even USED to have it on my computer, and I tried and tried and tried, until I was blue in the face to get the hang of it, and I just couldn't. So I took it off of my computer. It's too bloody hard as far as I'm concerned. Maybe it takes a more logical mind than I have, because I JUST CAN'T GET IT.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm pretty experienced with spreadsheeting programs (Microsoft and OpenOffice) and they all drive me nuts. I mean, they're awesome in what they do and I'd be lost without them, but unless you take a course to figure out all they can do, or use it extensively for more complex programs it will just confuse and frustrate you.

I've just started learning Access (I only had a basic knowledge), and I'm amazed and frustrated with it all at the same time. It's awesome what it can do, and the database I've built I'm preyty pleased with, but gees it annoys me as well...
I locked myself out of my database and it took me hours to figure out how to get back into and and I swear I was ready to throw the computer out the window...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

Excel is the devil as far as I'm concerned. I actually own it, because I have Microsoft Office. I even USED to have it on my computer, and I tried and tried and tried, until I was blue in the face to get the hang of it, and I just couldn't. So I took it off of my computer. It's too bloody hard as far as I'm concerned. Maybe it takes a more logical mind than I have, because I JUST CAN'T GET IT.
I've noticed that people who like technical or logical thinks usually like Excel, everyone else hates it! I do like it and Thank the Lord I do because I use it constantly at work!
I'm the one they call to bring thier fantastic spreadsheet ideas to life....and the one they call when they screw it up! Not that that is really my job or anything....

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Hey Susie, you know I have an opening in my class.....I teach the MS Office programs.
Oh boy how I wish I was closer and I could take your class! Do you give classes on line?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Oh boy how I wish I was closer and I could take your class! Do you give classes on line?
No but I can suggest a good book that we use to teach it! My classes are run self-paced, but with one-on-one instructor assistance. You might be able to get a copy of the book for about $30 from the publisher...I don't think it's available online. I'll check tomorrow at work and PM you!

And don't be intimidated if you do try to learn it. It's not that bad if you just stick with it.
That's what I always tell my students, just stick with it and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS! That's the hardest part for some people!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Oh yes I had that on my home PC. Before we had anything like that at work we used Super-Calc. And before that... lets just say that the computer took up the entire room, cost more than a house, and could just about be used to play space invaders... if you didn't mind the fact that the alien ships looked like this- ^ It had one hell of a database on it mind you
I remember that one! I swear I'm under 100
But ages ago when I took my first class in "computer programing" the computer consisted of a keyboard and a big roll of paper.

You typed in the commands and never got to see anything until you typed "run".

I ended up withdrawing from the class because the school only had two of these computers and I could never get any lab time because the boys always had them tied up playing Star Trek.

Years later when we got our first PC at the office that I discovered what the game actually looked like.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excel used to be my lifesaver!! I kept all my accounting for work on it. Pages of bills and blanaces and ugh! But all I had to do was enter the data. Now I just print the same thing! Love new computer software that doess all that baloney for me!
I still use it to do my own bills and keep track of diet stuff!

Outlook is our email that is always down or running super slow.