Im trying to not jump to conclusions.....

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, Justice had an early day at school today and the school set up a field trip to go skating. I said yes and sent him with money this morning. I got a phone call from Justice (he has a Firefly) about an hour ago. He was in absolute tears! He wanted to come home. Apparently some 12 yr old kids were picking on him. I told him I didn't have the truck but would call my mom to come and get him and in the mean time to tell the teacher or staff that was chaperoning the trip about. He told me there wasn't any!!!!!!!!

I freaked!!!!
I called R'Club to ask who was watching them. The director said it wasn't thier trip, it was the school who arranged it and she just found out from someone else that the school was basically just dropping them off and that they were leaving it up to the staff at the skating rink to watch them. She said over and over she wasn't sure if this was the case but heard it from another parent.
I am FUMING
!!!!!!
My mom is there right now picking him up and getting to the bottom of it.
If they DID just drop them off then there will be HELL raised!
Why would anyone in thier right minds drop a bunch of elementary school kids off at a PUBLIC skating rink and leave it up to a bunch of bratty teenage floor guard to watch them????

If my mom doesn't get any answers today, rest assured his school will get a visit from me tomorrow morning and it won't be a pleasant one at ALL!

When I talked to his dad, he was also under the impression that teachers will be there.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cant believe that, why would the drop off elementary students off in a public place with out a chaperon
I know whenever I was in school and went on field trips we had at least 2 to 3 at the minimum ofchaperons and thats not including the parents that would go! I hope you guys get to the bottom of this! And u IMO have every right to be as mad! They should of made it more clear it wasnt chaperoned, I wonder how many other parents kids went that didnt know it wasnt chaperoned?!

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just another example of people who simply don't have any common sense. I would be very very angry too, if that were my child. How could anyone be so irresponsible. Sounds to me like you should pay the school a visit regardless - what were they thinking (or not thinking, in this case)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's home now. My mom went in and got him. She was told by someone who worked at the skating rink that the staff for his school was already gone! And that they were in charge of watching the kids. He only asked my mom "Are you here for a pick up?" Did NOT ID her, DID NOT ask who she was there for or ANYTHING
They had NO contact info in case anyone got hurt either!
I just called the school board and am waiting for a call back from the director of the board. I am so upset I'm shaking!

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You poor thing!

That is just ridiculous! It was so lucky your son was able to call you and let you know what was going on!

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have every right to be upset. But, try to calm down a bit so you can think clearly about this. You'll need to keep cool when you chat with the schoolboard. BTW, Give 'em hell.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have kids myself..but I can't see any logic in the school doing that! You read so much bad things that happen to kids in the paper every day. What the heck where they thinking?!

I think you have every right to be upset.. I would be!

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jeez - this is scary - thank heavens he had the sense to call home when he knew something was wrong - poor little man - so glad he is okay - this could so easily have ended up worse

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alycia bless your heart- i would pitch a hissy fit tomorrow!!!!!
Those idiots at that school do NOT need to be in charge of children or teaching for that matter if they pull that garbage!!!! Someone could have kidnapped him for crying out loud!!! I would be furious!!!!!!!!!! I would report the teachers and all of the people behind that to the school board and let them know that it is completly unacceptable! Good luck tomorrow hon! Poor little guy

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I called the skating rink, the did have contact info but the schools staff did leave and they were NOT checking ID's. He told me "Well, we know when a child doesn't belong with someone"...... HOW!??????
A father who isn't supposed to see his child came in there and picks up his kid and takes off to canada or europe.. what are they supposed to do now?

I'm going to the school tomorrow..

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is absolutely outrageous -- if I were you, I'd call the media, as well. In this day and age... I can't believe that can HAPPEN! Anyone in the school system that knew about this and didn't do something about it needs to be removed.

And I'm so sorry your little guy got picked on... he must have been so glad to get home!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy,can I relate to that!! My daughter's 7th grade class had a field trip to Dollywood year before last. I am so very glad that I went with my daughter...As soon as the buses stopped,the kids were told to go have fun and meet the teachers(5 teachers and 250 kids) back at the front gate 6 hours later!! And what did the teachers do?? They sat at one of the little coffee shops all day while the kids ran wild! ANYTHING could have happened! What happened to the days when one teacher had maybe 10 kids assigned to her,and she stayed with them?? Things like that burn me up! If you get no where with the school board or the director of schools...go to the State Board of Education! This can't go on in this day and age!!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with the schooling system you have there, so have to ask how old are they?

Even if they are teenagers, it is no different in terms of the school's responsibility, just curious, as when they are on a school trip as minors it should be 'in loco parentis' which basically means that the teachers/organisers have the legal responsibility to look out for the kids with the same responsibility that a parent would exercise.

Dropping them off at an ice rink and leaving them there without supervision is a failure of their responsibilities.
We used to have trips to ice rinks when I was a kid and there had to be kids and responsible adults (either teachers or kids' parents) in a certain ratio - I'm pretty sure that's the law for school trips here.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I'm not familiar with the schooling system you have there, so have to ask how old are they?

Even if they are teenagers, it is no different in terms of the school's responsibility, just curious, as when they are on a school trip as minors it should be 'in loco parentis' which basically means that the teachers/organisers have the legal responsibility to look out for the kids with the same responsibility that a parent would exercise.

Dropping them off at an ice rink and leaving them there without supervision is a failure of their responsibilities.
We used to have trips to ice rinks when I was a kid and there had to be kids and responsible adults (either teachers or kids' parents) in a certain ratio - I'm pretty sure that's the law for school trips here.
He's 9. It was an elementary school even only is what I was told... Then the school and the guy at the skating rink told me that the staff left....I swear, this is NOT the end of it! SOMEONE will get fired over this or I'll pull him out of school and home school him

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

He's 9. It was an elementary school even only is what I was told... Then the school and the guy at the skating rink told me that the staff left....I swear, this is NOT the end of it! SOMEONE will get fired over this or I'll pull him out of school and home school him

I am holding my tongue because I would say something that is not family friendly - 9 years old and left alone at a skating rink? That is completely unacceptable, and I agree you shouldn't put up with that. They have a duty of care towards your children, they take responsibility for them while you place them in their care. Completely unacceptable.

What if one of the kids had fallen and hit their head, or had a skate go over their hand? Who would be looking after them?

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can relate! My daughter went to a school where a student-teacher got stabbed, a teacher threw a couple of kids out the 2nd story window because she said they were racist.They had stairwells and someone was always getting pushed down and stepped on. I really had not a leg to stand on when she refused to go to school any more. I was scared for her.
She was much older, though, high school. All that was bad enough, but leaving a 9 year old basically alone in a public rink is just unbelievable! I hope heads will roll over that one!