adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took this even though I am Canadian.

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_america...nt_do_you_have

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: North Central

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

Gee - I am Canadian

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was really cool. The question with "Merry"...I didn't agree with any of the choices.

Here I am:

Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Inland North was my result! Wisconsin was brought up in the results, of course since I am from there! Except in Wisconsin we call soda... Soda not Pop! Also water fountains are bubblers and Hooded sweatshirts are called Hoodies!

Results: Inland North!

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL...I don't need to take the test. I KNOW I have a "Bawstahn" (Boston) accent.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It says I'm from Philadelphia! I'm not at all (born in Washington state), but since my father was in the Army and we moved so much, it's not surprising that my accent would be hard to pin down.

Also, having been in radio, I worked on developing a transparent accent, and also on various international and character accents for voicework. So I'm sure I'd be very difficult to read.

This was one of the better quizzes I've seen! Thanks for posting it!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Midland here - yep, from Southern Indiana.

I just get a kick out of hearing the different ways people here say "oil".

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a midland accent...I guess it's b/c my parents are from ohio and I have lived in texas and alabama my whole life...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Results: Inland North!

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
Yup! I'm have an Inland North accent too. I have been asked if I"m from Chicago as well (which I am). Mainly due to saying stuff like "Melk" instead of "Milk".

I do also say "pop" instead of soda/coke/etc. Many people from MIchigan say "pop" because we have a factory here called "Faygo Pop". So for us that is where the term pop originated.

It's weird though if you go on the Western side of MI...every calls it soda instead of pop.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"The West: Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta."

Yep. No discernible accent. Should work well with my plans of becoming a secret agent.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine

BUT BUT BUT I'm not FROM Boston! I grew up in New Jersey! Okay, I've been living here for over a decade...I didn't think the accent had rubbed off on me, but maybe it has!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting - says I have a "Philadelphia" accent; which is ironic cause I was born and lived in Maryland (Baltimore) all my life till I moved to MN after I married DH.

He says I have a southern accent - which I guess I tend to have in certain words - its a little southern at times. I consider me to have slightly more of a southern accent.

My dad was from Virginia - when we would go down there, I'd wind up with the southern accent within a few hrs - still tend to do "southern" when around those with the southern accents

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Result: The Inland North

No coke is coke!