Safe Treats

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I know there have already been threads about this, but I need help.

The reason I want treats is because Swanie's favorite game is to chase, stalk, and eat his "treats." I was using Royal Canin 33 kibble for his "treats." It's not a food I normally feed him, so it's a treat to him. However, I can't use that anymore because of fear of the recalls, class action suits, etc. dealing with Royal Canin. Then I got a little bag of Fancy Feast Gold, but got rid of that because of the corn gluten. One of the problems I have is that when I look on the web sites, they rarely give the ingredients in the treats. And I can't find anything else locally that doesn't have some kind of gluten in it.

Everything I'v tried so far has the same results. Swanie will run to it, sniff, look at me like WTH, and walk away. Poor little guy keeps getting into "treat toss" position and looking at me hopfully. I'm really on a mission to restore his little game, but I'm running out of ideas. This is what I've tried so far:

Evo
Innova
Chicken Soup
Wellness Core
Serengetti
Raw Instinct
Organics
All sorts of the freeze dried "healthy" treats
Organix treats
Nature's Recipe Treats
Natural Balance Ultra
Bil-Jac treats
Iams

What else can I try?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Kitty Kaviar or it's powdered version - apPETizer? Under healthy freeze-dried, did you try Wildside Salmon? Or grandma Lucy's liver (chicken liver)?

How about PetGuard's Purrlicious organic tartar control chicken treats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Have you tried Kitty Kaviar or it's powdered version - apPETizer? Under healthy freeze-dried, did you try Wildside Salmon? Or grandma Lucy's liver (chicken liver)?

How about PetGuard's Purrlicious organic tartar control chicken treats?
KItty Kaviar was ignored, and it's not tossable anyway.

None of the freeze dried stuff I tried interested them. I had something Grandma Lucy, not sure if it was liver, but I haven't tried Wildside Salmon. I started to place an order for it, and never finished it. Was hoping for a few other ideas so I was ordering more than one thing.

I haven't tried the Purrlicious. I looked at it in the store, and I can't remember now why I put it back. Does it have garlic? I will have to take another look at it.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

I haven't tried the Purrlicious. I looked at it in the store, and I can't remember now why I put it back. Does it have garlic? I will have to take another look at it.
Purrlicious doesn't contain garlic, I don't recommend anything that does.

Here are the ingredients:
Organic Chicken, Organic Brown Rice, Organic Oatmeal, Organic Barley, Organic Apple Fiber, Dried Eggs, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Organic Sunflower Oil, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Ergocalciferol (Source of Vitamin D2), Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine (Source of Vitamin B1), Biotin, Niacin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
our petsmart has sample size bags of blue spa for $2. i'm going to see if my crew likes those for treats, too.

right now i'm using evo for treats, but will probably go back to FF Gourmet Gold when i run out. purina's website says they use US made corn gluten. FF gourmet gold is one of the only cheapie foods i found with only corn, no wheat or soy products in it.

i had a similar problem with the freeze dried treats--stimpy hates them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

our petsmart has sample size bags of blue spa for $2. i'm going to see if my crew likes those for treats, too.

right now i'm using evo for treats, but will probably go back to FF Gourmet Gold when i run out. purina's website says they use US made corn gluten. FF gourmet gold is one of the only cheapie foods i found with only corn, no wheat or soy products in it.

i had a similar problem with the freeze dried treats--stimpy hates them.
Blue Spa was a no go as well. I fogot to mention that one. I was using the FF Gold, but freaked out when I heard contaminated corn gluten was found. I think it's the gluten they like, unfortunately. The healthier the food is, the less likely they are to eat it.

nausicaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't know how "safe" it is, but I'v been tossing my kitty dried whole shrimp as treats once in a while, and he absolutely loves them. You can buy them at any Asian grocer, they come in clear cellopane packages, and while they do contain salt and (depending on which brand you get) colouring, they don't contain any byproducts or gluten, and is a great source of protein and calcium besides. They're cheap, too. (Which matters when you're on a student's budget and can't afford to feed your cat deity Wildside Salmon.)

Sometimes I also feed him a bit of katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes - obviously not suitable for your purpose, though), which he also loves. And again, cheaper than its pet food equivalent, Kitty Kaviar.