NUtro NCCC Adult Indoor Kibble

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trying to figure out if i should go back to this.

This was one of the original foods all the cats were on, it was also one the breeder used and one all three would eat.

Since, they have said their corn is safe[US grown] their RPC is melamine free and their dry products are made by Nutro themselves.. i think my bases are covered?

I am still on the lookout for other brands, California naturals is one i am going to try but i really need a food all 3 will eat, so far i have been unable to get that to happen, despite my efforts of trying many, many brands.

Advice? should i return to our old standby brand[Nutro] or continue to look for an alternative.

TY.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nutro has always been a good bet for my cats. I used it in the past and just bought more (Nutro Indoor Adult) and some cans. I never got into the pouch foods, of any brand. Nor do my cats like cuts/chunks/shredded foods.

I recommend the California Natural too as I have 4/5 Finicky McFinickytons and it's a hit. They are actually refusing other foods at times clearly wanting the CN (choosing CN over Chicken Soup and Natural Balance and their old Purina One)

I posted this recently but here it is again for anyone interested--the Nutro site is very detailed regarding the recalls, which I found not only MANDATORY but reassuring.

http://www.nutroproducts.com/default2.asp

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jpawz

Nutro has always been a good bet for my cats. I used it in the past and just bought more (Nutro Indoor Adult) and some cans. I never got into the pouch foods, of any brand. Nor do my cats like cuts/chunks/shredded foods.

I recommend the California Natural too as I have 4/5 Finicky McFinickytons and it's a hit. They are actually refusing other foods at times clearly wanting the CN (choosing CN over Chicken Soup and Natural Balance and their old Purina One)

I posted this recently but here it is again for anyone interested--the Nutro site is very detailed regarding the recalls, which I found not only MANDATORY but reassuring.

http://www.nutroproducts.com/default2.asp
Thanks, yes your post was one of the reasons i decided i might try it once again. The cats were on it from the get-go, it was one of the foods the breeder herself used.

I switched after the menu foods mess began, because i was using the recalled wet foods, in hindsight i probably panicked by changing the dry, since i then ended up in the DVP venison disaster

I'm wondering if i should try the California Naturals first before i go back to their old food{nutro}, or maybe i should just combine the two, since i prefer them to be on more than one brand if possible anyways.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fwiw, after one tiny bag of another food, I went back to this..it is what I've been feeding for some time, and my cats do well on it.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

Thanks, yes your post was one of the reasons i decided i might try it once again. The cats were on it from the get-go, it was one of the foods the breeder herself used.

I switched after the menu foods mess began, because i was using the recalled wet foods, in hindsight i probably panicked by changing the dry, since i then ended up in the DVP venison disaster

I'm wondering if i should try the California Naturals first before i go back to their old food{nutro}, or maybe i should just combine the two, since i prefer them to be on more than one brand if possible anyways.
Ugh, well you aren't the only one who switched to food which was subsequently recalled. Just as the NB recall came out, I had just ordered the NB v&p dry but Petfooddirect caught it and removed the item and credited my account.

Then foods my cats liked at first (chicken Soup and NB Ultra dry) are now being snubbed. It's ca-ray-zay.

What I did was take their old food fav dry (Purina One varieties) and add a new food to each tub mixed with the dry. The bottom level being all new and as it goes up the tub, the 2 foods are mixed such that as you go, the oldest food is at more quantity at the top.

You could do that with your current accepted food and the California Natural. I think the CN is a more easily accepted transition food--it's just highly digestable/simple.

My cats get super bored so I have to have a rotation of at least three foods (dry). They scarf down wet -- I like to have some dry kibble for a inbetween free feed, overnight, or times when a quick dry feed is needed (we are going out for day and I cant' referee the wet meals, then wash the dishes right away...)

I still have Raw Instinct to be delivered but have low expectations!!!

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Ugh, well you aren't the only one who switched to food which was subsequently recalled. Just as the NB recall came out, I had just ordered the NB v&p dry but Petfooddirect caught it and removed the item and credited my account.

Then foods my cats liked at first (chicken Soup and NB Ultra dry) are now being snubbed. It's ca-ray-zay.

What I did was take their old food fav dry (Purina One varieties) and add a new food to each tub mixed with the dry. The bottom level being all new and as it goes up the tub, the 2 foods are mixed such that as you go, the oldest food is at more quantity at the top.

You could do that with your current accepted food and the California Natural. I think the CN is a more easily accepted transition food--it's just highly digestable/simple.

My cats get super bored so I have to have a rotation of at least three foods (dry). They scarf down wet -- I like to have some dry kibble for a inbetween free feed, overnight, or times when a quick dry feed is needed (we are going out for day and I cant' referee the wet meals, then wash the dishes right away...)

I still have Raw Instinct to be delivered but have low expectations!!!
Thank you. I hate to say but i really don't even have an accepted food per-say at the moment
all 3 are eating totally different things and the dry food is a huge disaster, trying to get 3 cats to co-operate? ugh.

I'm gonna see if i can get out to the shop tonight to get some CN, i think it's worth a shot, my last ditch effort, i suppose..

good luck w/your foods too!!

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ask about a guarantee on the CN--

I was worried because they were all out of the smaller bags so I had to buy the mid size. And if my cats dissed it then I was out another 15+ bucks.

I was told that I could return the bag if a reasonable amount was left--the store gets a credit from Natura, apparently.

Very fair indeed.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Ask about a guarantee on the CN--

I was worried because they were all out of the smaller bags so I had to buy the mid size. And if my cats dissed it then I was out another 15+ bucks.

I was told that I could return the bag if a reasonable amount was left--the store gets a credit from Natura, apparently.

Very fair indeed.
Yes, fortunately this store excepts returns on all the foods they sell if your not happy with the purchase.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think i'm also going back to nutro dry. it's fairly obvious to me this isn't just a menu/nutro/iams problem, but rather system wide. and nutro has me feeling more confident about their dry foods. not necessarily the wet, but the dry. i think i may return my unopened bag of NB Ultra this weekend, and gradually switch the kitties back to nutro natural senior dry. mine really should be on a senior formula anyway.

i also switched foods when the recalls initially came out, then had a close call with the NB.
luckily we had bought ultra rather than V&P formula.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

i think i'm also going back to nutro dry. it's fairly obvious to me this isn't just a menu/nutro/iams problem, but rather system wide. and nutro has me feeling more confident about their dry foods. not necessarily the wet, but the dry. i think i may return my unopened bag of NB Ultra this weekend, and gradually switch the kitties back to nutro natural senior dry. mine really should be on a senior formula anyway.

i also switched foods when the recalls initially came out, then had a close call with the NB.
luckily we had bought ultra rather than V&P formula.
yes, i agree i thought/hoped by going with a food not part of Menu i would be ok, obviously that wasn't the case. All foods are at risk, including our own, sadly

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats, who are mostly on wet, but also do eat California Natural dry if I am unable to do wet feedings for a day.
Its a huge hit, they love it and always finish it all.

I tried Solid Gold katz-n-flocken, which is lamb and they tried maybe one piece of kibble each and never ever touched it again.

At the moment I also have Serengeti, grain-free, they also love it and eat just as well as they do California Natural.

California Natural is 36% protein 16% fat
Serengeti is 38% protein and 18% fat

That is what I was looking for in a grain free, to kinda match the non grain-free.

I never tried Nutro, as their price is the same as California Natural and they have odd things in the formula like corn gluten meal, garlic powder, etc.

But I am no nutrition expert, just go by what I read on here.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover77

I have two cats, who are mostly on wet, but also do eat California Natural dry if I am unable to do wet feedings for a day.
Its a huge hit, they love it and always finish it all.

I tried Solid Gold katz-n-flocken, which is lamb and they tried maybe one piece of kibble each and never ever touched it again.

At the moment I also have Serengeti, grain-free, they also love it and eat just as well as they do California Natural.

California Natural is 36% protein 16% fat
Serengeti is 38% protein and 18% fat

That is what I was looking for in a grain free, to kinda match the non grain-free.

I never tried Nutro, as their price is the same as California Natural and they have odd things in the formula like corn gluten meal, garlic powder, etc.

But I am no nutrition expert, just go by what I read on here.
yes, i too like the ingredients in the CN in comparison to the nutro and the price is certainly similar.

I tried solid gold too, none liked it

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well Min loves her nutro ... I am working getting her grain free ( Nutro is making a dog grain free but itll be quite awhile till kitty grain free)... Likely it will be a Nutro mix with Core( vet said try it ) for a while here

Cal Natural is one ingrediant different .. brown rice vs corn gluten meal .... either is good ...

I have tried cal natural ( like the protein and fat level) and Zoey and kandie both went NO NO .... it is a shape issue at least in this house

I use Solid gold for Kandie s treats ... Zoey reactted to it but Kandie didnt ..

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Well Min loves her nutro ... I am working getting her grain free ( Nutro is making a dog grain free but itll be quite awhile till kitty grain free)... Likely it will be a Nutro mix with Core( vet said try it ) for a while here

Cal Natural is one ingrediant different .. brown rice vs corn gluten meal .... either is good ...

I have tried cal natural ( like the protein and fat level) and Zoey and kandie both went NO NO .... it is a shape issue at least in this house

I use Solid gold for Kandie s treats ... Zoey reactted to it but Kandie didnt ..
I thought the CN had a bit more meat? like chicken, then chicken meal but i could be totally off, i am starting to loose track of what is in what.. cat food overload at this point.

I'm thinking if they all like it, maybe i could mix it and the nutro indoor?

Shapes of foods don't seem to be an issue here it's smell, all 3 sniff and if they are not happy with the scent, they walk away

I think they should go to the store and find themselves some cat food.. i'm exhausted.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think they should go to the store and find themselves some cat food.. i'm exhausted.
Amen!

I'm totally forgetting what I've already rejected and why I rejected it

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I thought the CN had a bit more meat? like chicken, then chicken meal but i could be totally off, i am starting to loose track of what is in what.. cat food overload at this point.

I'm thinking if they all like it, maybe i could mix it and the nutro indoor?

Shapes of foods don't seem to be an issue here it's smell, all 3 sniff and if they are not happy with the scent, they walk away

A touch more meat that indoor remember chicken is mostly water and is cooked to about sixth place
... it also has flaxseed which is good but I dont remember it being one meat one grain and one grain like