For everyone who has problems getting cats to the vet

kiva13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I've read a few posts lately about how hard it is getting cats into the carrier to take them to the vet. We have a wonderful resource in Seattle, and I'm wondering if other places might have it too.

We have at least three home vets here, maybe more. They understand the terror cats can feel going in the car, etc. so they do home visits to make it less stressful! They are a little more expensive then the regular vet, but it can really be worth it sometimes. I'm having one here next week because the new kitty we just adopted got so terrified just seeing her carrier that she hid behind the toilet for 8 hours. I just don't want to put her through any more stress, just when she is starting to adapt.

One possibility is to Google your city or town and home vet. Maybe you can find somebody too. I know how traumatic those trips to the vet can be.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's a great suggestion.
We have them where I live too. I think it'd be worth it for multiple cats.
I have only one, so I can handle the unpleasantness.

I took Smidge for her annual over the weekend. I covered her carrier with a towel so she couldnt see out and once in the exam room on the table I covered her with the towel. It had her own scent on it and when she is stressed she likes to hide. (last year she tried to hide under the kitty scale - that didnt work!
)

The vet respected that and kept her partially covered with the towel thru the exam and treatment. She was MUCH less stressed than years before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiva13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a nice vet. I just posted that suggestion because I read below how someone was having a really hard time getting her cats into their carriers.
Your cat is very cute!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a mobile vet too. I have not yet had an opportunity to use them but I own a pet sitting company and one of my staff members a true cat lover used their services and swears by them. She has me convinced not only because she raved about them but also because she knows a tremendous amount of information about cats. She did feline rescue for over 10 years and is the staff member I send to sits with cats with behavior problems or health problems (plus the cute ones!) I've a few clients who might die if she ever leaves!

ptnfl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone hava any idea price wise, whether or not the mobile vets are terribly expensive. I have 4 furbabies so it may be worth it to me.