knee cap popping out

kulboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This last week my cat's hind leg has been giving out on her. She will try to walk and the leg will just stay in place straight. She will try to walk for a minute changing directions but the leg just won't move. She will then give up and lay down. This has been happening about 3 times a day for the last week. It is not tender to her or swollen.

I took her to the vet today and he thought that her knee cap was popping out. He said that this is very rare in cats but very common is small dogs. I guess the groove that holds the tendon in place in the leg keeps the knee cap in place as well. From what I understood her leg has a slight bow in it so it is easy for that tendon to come out of place and cause the knee cap to pop out. She then straightens her leg to try to get in place.

Her right hind leg he could feel it popping out but her bad leg he could not but he said that she had it very tensed up. We are going to give it a couple of weeks to see if she can deal with it as most animals learn to pop it in place and live a very healthy life. Only if it really bothers her does he want to do surgery. Anybody else have any experience with this?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
JT issues in cats are common in older and overwt cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kulboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I should have stated that she is 1.5 years old and about a pound overwight at 10.4lbs. I am going to try to get her weight down but she has been slightly less active lately.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A 18 month old should be active PLEASE see a VET ASAP

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

My parents' dog has this condition--it's called luxating patella. It isn't bothering him, though he may end up with arthritis later in life as a result of it. In the meantime, he has no problems jumping all over the place and being a normal dog.

Here is some information about the condition:
http://www.cpvh.com/Articles/78.html
http://www.friendlessanimals.com/mod...g_patella.html
http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/patella.htm
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/kneecap.html
Just an FYI ... control the jumping ... or your folks will likely have a few thousand in jt surgery...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kulboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

A 18 month old should be active PLEASE see a VET ASAP
I took her to the vet and they said to give it a couple of weeks to see if she can learn to pop it into place. If not and it is still bothering her then they would look into possible surgery.

I found out this morning that she wasn't faking it. When I put down her bowl of food this morning I was wondering why she wasn't doing her normal chow fest. I went looking for her and I found her trying to walk but she couldn't. It broke my heart.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kulboy

I took her to the vet and they said to give it a couple of weeks to see if she can learn to pop it into place. If not and it is still bothering her then they would look into possible surgery.

I found out this morning that she wasn't faking it. When I put down her bowl of food this morning I was wondering why she wasn't doing her normal chow fest. I went looking for her and I found her trying to walk but she couldn't. It broke my heart.
I would try a NEW vet ...
.. can you get to an animal accupucturist???

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet told me that Mia's knee caps kept popping out. He also said that it is very unusual in cats. Mia is only 1-2 years old and underweight, but she was a stray so it may have something to do with that. When we first brought her in, she was having trouble walking, but she has gotten much better. Unfortunately your situation sounds worse.
I hope you can find the right help.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

My vet told me that Mia's knee caps kept popping out. He also said that it is very unusual in cats. Mia is only 1-2 years old and underweight, but she was a stray so it may have something to do with that. When we first brought her in, she was having trouble walking, but she has gotten much better. Unfortunately your situation sounds worse.
I hope you can find the right help.
Are you giving Mia any jt support ????