Flagyl - I hate this medication!!!

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just at my wits' end with Katy and all her meds.
She's on 2 heart meds, pred alternating with Leukeran for IBD, Cosequin for arthritis and an antibiotic for a chronic UTI. She had a dental last week and had to have 8 teeth removed, so the vet put her on Antirobe which after 2 days caused diarrhea. I took her back for a recheck yesterday and because she has one spot in her mouth that hasn't healed and also because of her IBD, he put her on Flagyl. Grrrr......I hate that medication and its side effects! It's good stuff I know, but now she won't eat! I've had this problem with Katy and some of my other cats in the past, but she's only had 2 doses and she's already quit eating.

Has anyone else ever had this happen so soon after starting Flagyl? I'll call the vet . . . . again . . . . tomorrow, but I was just curious.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flagyl is VERY VERY VERY good medicine honey. Your vet gave her good meds. We use it all the time at the shelter i work at. (particulary when we suspect a parvo outbreak amoung our dogs.) It should actually HELP the diarreah clear up. Just exactly what specific side effects is she having. It could be the combination of the meds she's taking. (it's hard to know which one is causing the issues without seperating them indivdually and narrowing them down.) Flagyl can reduce her appetite a bit- but so can the other meds that she's on. As long as she's at least eating a little bit i wouldn't worry too much unless she starts to loose weight. The average flagyl dose only lasts 7-10 days so she shouldn't be on it for too long. What strength did they give her? She might need a lesser strength. I would offer her some good quality smelly soft food (if she's not eating well- usually kitties can be attracted better to soft fragrant food.) Stay clear of low quality foods that can cause more diarreah. Also - do not change her diet drastically eithor- that can make the diarreah worse as well...so if you give her a little bit of a treat...just giver her a pinch.
Also- i have personally taken Flagy myself recently (actually, flagyl and cipro) when i was in the ER for a severe case of colitis and food poisioning- it helped the diarreah, but it did take my appetite a bit- so that seems to be a normal side effect.
Don't worry too much- but if it continues ask your vet about possibly changing her to something a little less harsh. (Amoxicillin, doxicycline, tetracloride, clavamox...there are numerous options out there if flagyl doesn't work for her - amoxi. and clavamox are the most common
) Give the Flagyl some time though- it is good medicine and it really works well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know Flagyl is a good medicine, I just needed to vent a bit. Katy's been through a lot this year, just one thing after another and I'm just so frustrated by it all. She's been on Flagyl in the past and it decreased her appetite too, but I was able to give it to her for about 8 days before the vet said to stop it.

She's been on all her other meds long enough with no real effect on her appetite so I'm pretty sure that it's the Flagyl, it's just that it affected her appetite so soon. I don't think it's her mouth that's bothering her because she was eating fine right after the dental.

Another hard thing with Katy is that she eats only dry food and won't touch anything else, no canned food, no treats, no tuna or chicken, nothing! She's normally on Eukanuba Low Residue but I gave her a few pieces of IVD Duck & Green Pea tonight and she actually ate it!

Katy weighs about 13 pounds 9 ounces and is on 62.5 mg twice a day for 10 days.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't know if it counts
, when I was on it (for at least 2 weeks), it totally changed my tastes in food. One of my favorite candies (mellowcream pumpkins!) tasted awful to me, and I developed a liking for green olives (which I had always hated!
) Now I like the sweet stuff again and the olives
. Maybe you could just start offering her some things that she doesn't usually like, and see if she wants to try them? Just a thought

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Isn't Flagyl that awful tasting stuff? Is it possible to switch to Albon instead? At the shelter, we use Albon for loose stools & only use FLgyl for giardia because of more side effects/awful to medicate.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Isn't Flagyl that awful tasting stuff? Is it possible to switch to Albon instead? At the shelter, we use Albon for loose stools & only use FLgyl for giardia because of more side effects/awful to medicate.
Flagyl should be tasteless (or at least just like any other tablet.) The one the kitties all seem to hate is Amoxicillin. I've taken Flagyl myself and didn't find it to have a taste at all (unless you just let it sit on your tounge- then it just tastes like a powder.) Albon is good stuff, that might not be a bad idea
That or even Clavamox.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We commonly use Flaygl liquid as it is much easier to get liquid in a cat than a pill. The liquid is supposedly extremely bitter(judging from the angry cat's faces). The downside with Albon is that it reuqires quite a bit, even for a smaller cat.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

We commonly use Flaygl liquid as it is much easier to get liquid in a cat than a pill. The liquid is supposedly extremely bitter(judging from the angry cat's faces). The downside with Albon is that it reuqires quite a bit, even for a smaller cat.
You can have your shelter vet convert it into a powder form so that you can use it as an injectable
I LOVE giving shots now much more than liquids!!! Sooooo less messs! At our shelter we normally just pill the kitties and dogs when we use Flagyl, that or we crush it with a pill crusher and add it to their soft food so they eat it right up

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say that I hope Katy gets to feeling better soon.

I haven't had to use metronidazole with the cats but like others I've had to take it for colitis last year. It's also widely used in aquaria when treating for some internal parastic infections like Hexamita.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry about hijacking you're thread Deb!

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

You can have your shelter vet convert it into a powder form so that you can use it as an injectable
I LOVE giving shots now much more than liquids!!! Sooooo less messs! At our shelter we normally just pill the kitties and dogs when we use Flagyl, that or we crush it with a pill crusher and add it to their soft food so they eat it right up
We don't have a shelter vet. We use a local vet. It is much cheaper to give the liquid then to pay someone to convert the stuff into a powder. Esp. being in such a rural area with so little funding!

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont know if this is a factor, but I've taken Flagyl myself iin the past.
The worst side ffect for me was the awful taste in my mouth it left!
It was just awful! And anything I ate did improve it or make it taste right. Even mint or whatnot didnt improve it, even for a moment.

Maybe this is contributing to her non-eating?
I'm sorry I have nothing to suggest to circumvent that bad taste, if that is what it is.

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the advice and your own experiences. I talked to the vet tech today and she told me not to give Katy her Flagyl today so I haven't, and she ate pretty well around noon. She needs an antibiotic though, so I'll talk to the vet again tomorrow and see what he says.

Since I started her on Flagyl, she's also been really lethargic and about the only time she'll get out of her bed is if I pick her up and carry her to the litter box and she's seemed a lot weaker too. Since I didn't give her the Flagyl this morning though, she's seemed a little more alert.

Katy had a very thorough work-up at Iowa State in February, so I really don't think there's anything more than usual going on with her, I think/hope it's just the Flagyl.

PS - Don't worry about hijacking the thread . . . I don't mine at all.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just found this thread--

For anyone having a tough time pilling a cat (either due to difficulty with abx or bitter meds like Flagyl, Fluoxetine, etc....)

Pill Pockets have been a miracle for many pet owners. They address the wheat gluten/recall issue in their site:

http://www.greenies.com/en_US/produc...l_pockets.asp?

http://www.greenies.com/en_US/2k6Sampling/

Not the most wondrous ingredients, but it's a small 'treat' that hides a med. I have seen pets froth at the mouth at bitter meds, either pills or liquid and in the next second chow down a pill pocket without an issue.

Debskats~~ Flagyl is a good med, but one of those good-sucky ones, heh. I am glad to read things are looking up.

angie8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Debbie....

I have to give Flagyl alot around here with my 2 IBD girls. I've also noticed it causing lethargy in my girls and of course, lack of appetite.

I think I've figured out a way to avoid killing their appetite, though--at least to some extent----I give her a bowl of food & wait until I've seen her eat a fair amount and then give her the Flagyl immediately on top of the food--I guess digesting it on a full stomach helps at least a little. She vomits alot less and seems to maintain some or most of her appetite while she's on it. If you end up having to re-start Katy on it, maybe try that & see if it makes any difference?? In a few situations, I've even given her Cypro for a day or so to jump start her appetite to help counteract the Flagyl & make sure she's always got a full tummy.

It's a great med..........but the side effects are awful!!

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Albon is used mostly for the treatment of coccidia. Flagyl is the most effective for diarrhea. (colitis, bacterial overgrowth, etc.) Flagyl does have one major side effect though... it can cause neurologic problems in some animals. It's rare, but I have seen it happen. As for the not eatting thing... it is an antibiotic and like any antibiotic, it can cause nausea. You may want to talk to your vet about adding a differant medication to help. (tagament, sucralfate, etc)

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Angie, I tried to give the Flagyl when she had a fully tummy, but it didn't seem to help and by the time I gave her last dose she wasn't eating anything so I just gave it to her on an empty stomach.

Shorty, what kind of neurologic symptoms have you seen with Flagyl? Katy seemed to be so weak, and finally she just laid curled up in a ball on the bed. She wouldn't respond to me at all. And that was after just 3 doses!!!

I finally talked to the vet today, and he said it was OK to keep her off the Flagyl . . . thank heavens. She's been off of it since Tuesday night and still isn't eating as much as usual, but she was actually up and about some today which is quite a change from the past few days. It finally hit me last night that she hadn't been drinking as much water as usual. I've been taking her food to her and just letting her eat on my bed, but then she'd never get down to drink any water. Normally she will drink after she eats. So, last night I started giving her water to drink every time she eats, so I'm wondering if she hasn't gotten dehydrated. I'm going to give her fluids for a few days and see if that helps too. I can't believe I didn't think of that before!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Debbie
Hugs for you and Katy!

I've never seen any lethargy or inappetence issues with Cleo when she takes Flagyl for her IBD symptoms...however, she did get pretty elevated liver enzymes from it. Cleo got the liquid Flagyl that I put into gelcaps to prevent the foaming at the mouth business. Angie's suggestion about feeding first, then giving the Flagyl, sounds like a good idea. I wonder if Katy would benefit from getting Reglan to prevent any nausea associated with the Flagyl? I agree with everyone else...good drug/nasty side effects.

Pookie & the girls

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The neurologic side effects normally appear as muscle tremors, or seizures. Its normally when animals are given a high dose, but some animals just cant handle it at all. I've only ever seen 2 cases of it happening, but its just something that people sould be aware of.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just remembered another appetite stimulant~~

cyproheptadine

It's actually an antihistimine but has been shown to spark up appetite.