Cat meets kids

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you think it is an good idea to bring a cat to a school to meet small children?

Here's some background info. My cat Willie a Siamese 9 month old kitty is very outgoing. I've never met a cat like him. We had a party the other day for my Dad's birthday and we had over 25 people here and he was out mingling with the guests right under foot. When my friends come over Neko goes and hides but Willie prances over and gives them a good leg rub (or face rub if they are kneeling) and sometimes even jumps on to their shoulders.

Me and my mom are teaching an after school class on how to take care of pets. Each week she does a different animal. We will do rodents, reptiles, dogs and cats. I will bring in my gerbils, leopard Gecko, uncles dog and I was thinking about bringing Willie. The kids are gentle and listen well. I brought in the gerbils last year and everything went well. So do you think it will work? If I do bring him should I put him on a leash (he is not leash trained but I can put a harness on and see how he feels about it).

Also is there anything I should do to prepare him (besides leash training)?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well since its after school, you won't have to worry about everyone hearing him

I took Spooky to my son's 2ne or 3rd grade class during school time for a pet talk. Got permission from the principal to bring him in. He sat in the carrier while I talked. Then brought him out. Spooky had no need for harness or leash - he was a show cat pro and loved attention - he was not about to just bolt and run around. He loves to be admired.

The kids loved him - they all thought he was cool and he just stood on the table with his admiring fans

I'd take your siamese to Petsmart on a harness to see his reactions first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well since its after school, you won't have to worry about everyone hearing him
haha, don't you just love Siamese cats, I know I do
I'm sure when I bring him in in the carrier he will be screaming his head off. He'll meow for attention for about 10 mins after he comes out and will eventually settle. I don't think he will bolt in fear but he may wander around the room to explore although he's easy to catch and he responds very well to his name. It's in an art room though I doubt they use anything dangerous since it's a school with kindergarteners in it. I actually think he'll enjoy it. I'll bring some treats or just his food for the kids to give him if they want. I might get the harness if my Dad will bring me to the store, I don't know if he'll like it but it's worth a try. We still have a few weeks before Willie has to go next week is the gerbils.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny thing was that Spooky had a mouth like a siamese - really loud when he used it. He was talking as we went into school, so I simply told him "look Spooky, we are going into the school - you have to be quiet while in school" - he never said a word once inside

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

The only thing I can think of is that you should probably make sure that none of the little ones are allergic to cats.
That and make sure to have a plan B in case he doesnt want to be in a stange enviorment

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All the kids need there parents to sign a permission slip first to make sure no one is allergic so that is covered. If he gets scared they can look at him through the crate but we have other activities to do also.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, permission slips!
Your cat sounds like mine, we had 20 people over one time for a cook-out and she was all over everyone inside (she is an inside kitty). She adores people and won't leave guests alone. She never hides from anything