New here but anyone a Nora Roberts fan?

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Im new here but I read books and my ears literally perked up...Even my reading buddy Herc sat at full attention...Me and Herc sit down for about 4-5 hrs everynight before I go to bed to read a book. Normally we read two a night because Im trying to break my habit of sleeping with the tv on. So I read till I pass out. My mom and grandmother got me hoooooookkkkkeeeeddd on trashy romance novels. But on my own discovered Nora Roberts. Shes by far has the most amazing selection of books that peak into all my interests. Herc likes to read the ones that have to do with Ireland (yea I read aloud to my cat...Im odd...lol) Im currently rereading Angels Fall....My fiance wont let me buy any more books till I get rid of some of the ones that I dont read all the time...Which is hard to do considering Ive been collecting these books since I was about 13 so Ive got over 500...Im going to take some down to the salvation army and to the hospitals so that way Im atleast doing a good deed while freeing up room to so I can get complete my Nora collection. Im building myself wall bookshelves that will wrap around my bed to hold all my fav books!!! Happy Reading everyone!!!

Tyler

davcat5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love Nora Roberts, too. They have this new invention called a library where you don't have to buy books! They lend them to you for free!:-) My husband would kill me if I bought another book!
Did you see the TV movies they made from a few of her books? They were very close to the books.
Happy reading!

jadedlaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like you, I've been collecting books since forever, and I'm running out of space. And after spending all day reading law book and dry contracts, I am an avid reader of romance novels when I am not working.

I used to love Nora Roberts books, but find her books in recent years so predictable and formulaic that I have ceased to buy them. I absolutely love Sweet Revenge and Honest Illusions by Roberts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I already have all the books that our library has and they dont borrow from other libraries...Im not a fan of the library near me..Most of the librarians are jerks and could care less about being there..Im currently hounding used books stores trying to find the older books like Honest Illusions. Ive been keeping up with her latest books but the older ones are hard to find... I missed her movies on Lifetime. I heard a rumor that they are supposed to come out on dvd so Im waiting to buy them. I shut off out sattelite to save money and pay off some debt from christmas...Kinda spoiled all my kiddos rotten this year. Im not a big fan of her single books its her trilogies that really catch me. But once Ive set my mind on getting something Im going to get it. So Ill be on my book mission till Ive got all her books..Even if I dont like them...LOL...Its the only vice Ive got left since I quit smoking..:eek:)

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never read her, but my Mom and Best friend love her, I have met her and got her to autograph some books for them...She is SO funny, she has the best sense of humor

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahh soooo jealous...LOL....Thats awesome, Im waiting for the day that I can say Ive met her.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just finished reading her complete J.D. Robb series and enjoyed them very much.

I had over 400 hard cover books and let me tell you, after downsizing to a smaller house the books had to go. I selected a few I really wanted to keep and my hubby took the rest to his workplace a box or 2 at a time and the folks there helped themselves. Our library wasn't interested in them and they were too heavy for me to carry around so I just let them go. It was tough, but at my age it's time to purge. Besides if we ever move again, I definitely do not want to be moving 12 to 15 boxes of books again.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've read almost every Nora Roberts book and many of the JD Robb ones as well.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went through a phase where I read all of her romances at the library. I can still see the trail of clothes going up the stairway--can't remember which one that was--oh, it was probably all of them.
They were fun, but did get predictable when you can tell by page 2 who the heroine will end up with. That's too bad your library doesn't borrow books from other libraries. I don't know what I'd do without mine. I just won't buy a book I'm going to read once and then be done with.

jadedlaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WhosaMyHercules

I already have all the books that our library has and they dont borrow from other libraries...Im not a fan of the library near me..Most of the librarians are jerks and could care less about being there..Im currently hounding used books stores trying to find the older books like Honest Illusions. Ive been keeping up with her latest books but the older ones are hard to find... I missed her movies on Lifetime. I heard a rumor that they are supposed to come out on dvd so Im waiting to buy them. I shut off out sattelite to save money and pay off some debt from christmas...Kinda spoiled all my kiddos rotten this year. Im not a big fan of her single books its her trilogies that really catch me. But once Ive set my mind on getting something Im going to get it. So Ill be on my book mission till Ive got all her books..Even if I dont like them...LOL...Its the only vice Ive got left since I quit smoking..:eek:)
I hope you DO find honest illusions. I have seen it re-released recently (with new cover). If you were closer, I'd share my copy with you. You can tell from looking at my copy that that book has been read over and over

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im getting ready to head to Wal-Mart and go check it out and see what all new has come out. Im due for a break Ive been cooped up in the house all week since my car broke down and Im due for a lil break. I would never buy a book I couldnt read more than once. I reread all my books like they are going outta style. I could stand at the book section of a store for hours picking just the right books. Put me in Waldenbooks or Barnes and Noble we are talking like an hour or more for me to pick just the right books to buy. Especially if they dont have the Nora Roberts books Im looking for. I have a couple diff authors Im pretty hung up on that I will buy instead of her. Now I jonesin for Honest Illusions and hoping they still have a copy of it. Ive noticed that a lot of her early titles are getting rereleased especially since Lifetime came out with the movies. I didnt have Montana Sky or Carolina moon and when the movies came out I ran to the book store and snatched copies of both. If you havent read Blue Smoke or Angels Fall...Id def read them. They arent as predictable as some of her other books they actually have really good story aside from the hookin up between the main characters...

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jadedlaw

I used to love Nora Roberts books, but find her books in recent years so predictable and formulaic that I have ceased to buy them. I absolutely love Sweet Revenge and Honest Illusions by Roberts.
I like Roberts, but like you, I find them predictable and similar plots abound.

I can see the same characters pop up in her different series. In the recent Circle Trilogy, there are characters who are similar to her Eve Dallas books (writing as JD Robb). You can take Eve and plop her into other books in other series and she fits. Same with her sidekick.

With the Circle Trilogy, there were too many implausibles. The details were rather shoddy.

I loved the Three Sisters trilogy when it first came out. Having recently re-read it, it isn't as good as it was the first time around. Of course, I was younger, too.

I still read the new Eve books when they come out but find myself skipping the sections where she is remembering the abuse and the obligatory sex scene. I love the cast of supporting characters in those books.

I don't care for the classic "romance" anymore but do enjoy a good mystery or something that tells a larger story other than just romance. I tend to skip the ultra-gushy parts now

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For people who don't have a good library or access to good used book stores, try paperbackswap.com. I use it all the time. You just pay postage to trade books with people all over, usually it is $1.59 for paperback and around $2.50 for hardcover. It could be a way to get rid of some you have plus get new ones.

I do this now that I have such limited space. I have a few books I must keep but most get recycled through paperbackswap.

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have worked out a trade with a local used bookstore but unfortunatly its potluck as to what they get in. Wal-Mart didnt have ANY good books, well atleast paperback. Dave wont let me spend 10 bucks on a book and they only had the McCade brothers, which I dont have, and its killing me that he wont let me get them.....Im dying to get back to the store and buy those books! LOL...If anyone is into historical romances Paula Quinn and Johanna Lindsey are amazing also. Im addicted to history so I love reading romance books that actually have some historical information to it.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WhosaMyHercules

I have worked out a trade with a local used bookstore but unfortunatly its potluck as to what they get in. Wal-Mart didnt have ANY good books, well atleast paperback. Dave wont let me spend 10 bucks on a book and they only had the McCade brothers, which I dont have, and its killing me that he wont let me get them.....Im dying to get back to the store and buy those books! LOL...If anyone is into historical romances Paula Quinn and Johanna Lindsey are amazing also. Im addicted to history so I love reading romance books that actually have some historical information to it.
If you like historical fiction and romance, read Sara Donati's Into the Wilderness series and The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Great stories and lots of steam in the early books.

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG!!! Ok anyone who LOVES Lifetime and books is gonna love this!! If you missed it the first time around Nora Roberts had 4 book into movies premiere in like Feb..I MISSED IT!!! I shut my sattelite service off before they came out and I didnt know about it...But last night Angels Fall was one. Great book...Cheezy acting..LOL but I didnt have high hopes with it being a romance book into a movie type deal. But next week on Tues night at nine is Montana Sky. Im really excited to see that one...Woohoo..What a great next three tuesdays Im going to have...But I have to put my other shows on the back burner cuz House, Veronica Mars, and Deadliest Catch all start at nine when the movie starts...LOL..Thank god for DVR!!!