TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › HUMAN grade or NOT human grade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HUMAN grade or NOT human grade

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
This is now a big thing all of us are checking for ... WELL it is a fair waste of time ...

WHy you ask??

Human grade is not a definition AFFCO accepts thus to them it is a marketing gimic....

Biggest reason most super Premium foods have MEALS... which is good protein source s and fats (yes fats are less but still there)... You and I cant order chicken meal or salmon meal at the local restaurant...This is because they arent a human grade item ... Now that is not to say the meat in the meals may not have been able to be sold to a grocer or restaurant for human consumption


some anadotel stuff now

years ago a friend had a relative in the meat packing industry

he got to see the vats of meat with the labels

P= for prime meat ... destined for restaunts and high end butchers

C= for choice meat ... mostly restaurant s but also butchers and some grocers

S= standard or select ... typically grocer

then the vats got down to the still human stuff but not anything most would eat
Top of this was what is in frozen food


the middle went to the PET food s... likely fat and organs with necks and back s


the bottom vat was labeled M

I will give you a clue BILLION S AND BILLIONS served and golden arches:_)
post #2 of 14
Ok weird. I was just reading about this on the Timberwolf Organics site: (Serengetti cat food)

http://timberwolforganics.com/s.nl/it.I/id.8/.f

"My favorite (misconception) is "Made with only 100% human grade ingredients."

One quick way to determine if this is not true (other than cost) is if the food contains any "meals". Guess what? There is no such thing as human grade chicken meal or lamb meal. I don’t know of any restaurant where you can say, "Waiter, may I have some beef meal to go with my baked potato?" Or "May I have my chicken meal on a bun please?" The meat starts out as human grade because remember it’s from an inspected plant, but does not receive an inspection sticker because it’s not intended for human consumption so cannot be labeled as human grade. There are different grades (classifications) of meals however and are graded (classified) by protein content, ash content and price. Some are of very high quality. For example, our lamb meal is imported from New Zealand and is a special low ash high protein (8% ash, 70% protein) lamb meal that we have classified and most of the bone is filtered out (all lamb, chicken, beef meals contain a lot of bone because it’s made from what is left over from cutting away steaks or boneless chicken breast for example). It’s the most expensive and probably the best lamb meal in the country as it’s made from the organs and contains a lot of blood, which gives it a very complete amino acid profile. Is it human grade? Come on class, I'm listening? Most lamb meals are high in ash and are low (50%) in protein. We searched six different suppliers before finding the current suppliers for chicken meal and for lamb meal.

I love the info on their site http://timberwolforganics.com/
post #3 of 14
This is all very interesting, thanks.

I have noticed that "meal" gets a bad rap sometimes. It's not clear to the average label reader that "meal" is a good thing. Too bad there's not a better sounding name for it. The explanation of how it's not considered "human grade" makes sense, though.

Those different designations for the meats are interesting too. I try to steer clear of the M meat. As far as what's just above pet food, you had to mention this when I had frozen meatballs in the microwave, didn't you?
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
This is all very interesting, thanks.

I have noticed that "meal" gets a bad rap sometimes. It's not clear to the average label reader that "meal" is a good thing. Too bad there's not a better sounding name for it. The explanation of how it's not considered "human grade" makes sense, though.

Those different designations for the meats are interesting too. I try to steer clear of the M meat. As far as what's just above pet food, you had to mention this when I had frozen meatballs in the microwave, didn't you?
nO, NO....I think she said the pet food is above the M food.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru View Post
nO, NO....I think she said the pet food is above the M food.
Okay now I am really done eating fast food meat.
post #6 of 14
Sharky, that was very interesting, thank you. From what I read in Fast Food Nation, I definitely believe what you say about the "M" vat. I've always questioned "human grade" anyway, as hot dogs and things like frozen chicken nuggets, patties, etc. seem pretty like pretty low quality "meat."
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny82 View Post
Okay now I am really done eating fast food meat.
I am enjoying my meat free bean & rice burrito

Meat scares me. But grains have their own issues (as we have seen). I think I will just gnaw on a ginger root and hope for the best.

Either way, people put so much blind faith into what they eat, what is served up to us (our kids, our pets)....it's truly been a wake up call.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpawz View Post
I am enjoying my meat free bean & rice burrito

Meat scares me. But grains have their own issues (as we have seen). I think I will just gnaw on a ginger root and hope for the best.

Either way, people put so much blind faith into what they eat, what is served up to us (our kids, our pets)....it's truly been a wake up call.
You said it. My husband got so disgusted with all the European food scandals that he got himself an orchard and a greenhouse, and rented some land from a local farmer, so we at least have organic fruits and vegetables (and two big freezers!). It's an awful lot of work, though.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru View Post
nO, NO....I think she said the pet food is above the M food.
Yeah, I got that I just didn't say it quite right. I think my meatballs probably fall somewhere around here:

Quote:
then the vats got down to the still human stuff but not anything most would eat
Top of this was what is in frozen food


the middle went to the PET food s... likely fat and organs with necks and back s
a small step above "M" but not much
post #10 of 14
So, instead of eating at the M place, we could just as well much some Purina or Innova?
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
So, instead of eating at the M place, we could just as well much some Purina or Innova?
I prefer by product free foods
post #12 of 14
The local plant does actually get human grade meat from a local meat packing plant, not as any gimmick, but because they cannot get pet grade without red dyes. A lot of the foods say "dye free" so they have to use something that is dye free.

Now as for the quality... it's the same type of cuts they put in hot dogs, sausage, and bologna. Not anything high on my list of preferred foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
So, instead of eating at the M place, we could just as well much some Purina or Innova?
As a very young child (around 2-3) I apparently did munch on some It never made me sick, I can't says the same for a certain fastfood place.
post #13 of 14
wow! very interesting insight!
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
As a very young child (around 2-3) I apparently did munch on some It never made me sick, I can't says the same for a certain fastfood place.
Hah...when I was little, we had this neighbor who had a two year old who ate cat food. Would steal handfuls of it and munch on it when her mom wasn't looking....heh
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › HUMAN grade or NOT human grade