What REALLY Works on Pee???

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What product really works on cat pee? Is there really anything that actually takes it out of carpet permanately? Is there really a product that keeps them from going back to that spot again?

I have tried petzyme and natures miracle and simple solution nothing has worked for me so far. Petzyme seemed to work at first but then i could smell it coming back out of the carpet a few days later.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Simple Solution worked for us--the one specific for enzymatic breakdown of urine, feces, vomit....Another to try is "Dumb Cat" (sounds awful!) but I had a sample and was very satisfied. Nature's Miracle with orange might be better for you than the regular.

It may take a couple soaks if it's carpet, and if it's down to the pad.

I only had a small marking issue, which still reeks of course, but much less quantity. You have to determine if you are dealing with litter box aversion, or urine marking/spraying. HUGE difference. The former usually requiring a vet health check; the latter requiring solid behavior modification (though sometimes a vet rule out is still a good idea!)

As for repellent--Feliway has been the miracle around here. For best results I use the spray & and diffuser (the spray for a few direct shots at the crime scene per day, the diffuser for 24/7 deterrant).

Also, you can try tin foil. I foiled the shelf and the window sill (marking sites) and no one even approaches those areas now (foil was left for a couple weeks). Some folks place a litter box next to the crime scene.

Otherwise, it may be time for Pergo?

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of the keys to getting any of the enzyme removers to work is that they have to be kept wet. I use Nature's Miracle when I have an accident to deal with. I make sure I soak the entire spot and beyond it. Then I cover it with a kitchen garbage bag that has never been opened. I place something on top to keep it in place. I check it for the next two days to be sure it stays wet. If it feels like it is drying out I add more Nature's Miracle. After two days I allow it to dry and there is no smell left. If there is a ring type stain I use resolve on the dry carpet to work the stain out.

Also make sure you shake up the Nature's Miracle before applying it.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nature's miracle worked for us. but the key is you completely soak it. let it dry. and repeat until gone. it does eventually get it out.
we used a blacklight to verify.

once we moved into an apartment where the previous tenants had dogs that peed on the carpet. in that situation Vinegar & water worked. but we had to follow the same regimen for nature's miracle. soak, dry & repeat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think our underlyng issue is dog pee!! when we moved here we knew that the previous owners had some large dogs. I think that one of my cats has been trying to cover up the dog marking. tell me about the vinagar and water trick i have never heard of that.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I like Dreft Baby Laundry detergent. It is specifically designed to remove urine odors and leaves the house smelling fresh and clean. I get the liquid in the pink bottle and pour a small amount into my clean spray bottle. I fill it slowly (so it doesn't make too much suds) with hot water and then I thoroughly spray the area. I let that soak in and then dab it up with a clean towel. For difficult areas, you might have to repeat it a couple of times, but after raising 15 kittens in a 3 year period, I swear by it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
will the dreft take it away for the cats too or just the people??

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After I treated the areas the kittens would soil, none of them ever went back to that area again. So, I would say it works for both people and cats. *smile* I even put the stuff (along with an anti-sudsing agent) into my carpet shampoo'er. I love the way it smells and it does a dern good job on my *rolls eyes for the stupidity I displayed at THIS choice* WHITE carpets everywhere in this whole flamin' house. I am here to tell ya that white carpets and raising kittens don't mix, Baby. I love Dreft. It works for me. And it is affordable. Besides, you can also wash your bath towels in it and they smell divine.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use vinegar and water, 50/50. Granted, I haven't dealt with much more than small spots...but it worked for me. I use a black light to find the spots, and after using the vinegar solution, they're no longer detectable...either with the nose OR the blacklight.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I use vinegar and water, 50/50. Granted, I haven't dealt with much more than small spots...but it worked for me. I use a black light to find the spots, and after using the vinegar solution, they're no longer detectable...either with the nose OR the blacklight.
I second the vinegar/water, but, I had to use STRAIGHT vinegar on my sick dogs pee spots on the carpet. I used a whole gallon or more, dumped it on. Then got my handy carpet cleaner and vacumed it up really well. She (poor thing) peed in numerous spots before we HAD to put her down because of stroke.

The trick is to suck it all up with a carpet cleaner. There is absolutely no scent of pee or vinegar, of course, I had to air out the house a couple of days.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has only peed on the floor once when we had just moved. I used a product called OdoBan. I have never smelled the pee again after that. I put it on as soon as I smelled it so I am not sure if it works for smells that have set in. And it was only this one time. I sprayed it a lot then let it soak in and then dabbed it dry. I did that a couple of times and it took care of the problem! Good luck!

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If all these things you are trying still don't work, you might have a stain in your floorboard. Believe it or not, the floorboard (especially if it's chipboard) can really hold the odor.

The only way you can really get it out if that's the case is to pull up the carpet in that area and locate the offending spot. This may involve removing the lists, and untacking the carpet. Use a hardwood enzyme cleaner on the spot or the vinegar treatment, and let it air and dry. Simultaneously treat the pad and the carpet individually. The pad is often like a sponge and can be holding some of the odor as well.

After the floorboard, carpet and pad have fully dried (this could take a couple days), place it all back down. Hopefully that will work.

annie'sbengals

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mia mouse

One of the keys to getting any of the enzyme removers to work is that they have to be kept wet. I use Nature's Miracle when I have an accident to deal with. I make sure I soak the entire spot and beyond it. Then I cover it with a kitchen garbage bag that has never been opened. I place something on top to keep it in place. I check it for the next two days to be sure it stays wet. If it feels like it is drying out I add more Nature's Miracle. After two days I allow it to dry and there is no smell left. If there is a ring type stain I use resolve on the dry carpet to work the stain out.

Also make sure you shake up the Nature's Miracle before applying it.
OK, I'm curious... has anyone else tried the garbage bag trick? I've never heard that before and I'm desperate to try anything at this point. Dear husband has given me one more week and if the bengal pees on the carpet again... he's gone!!!!!! (the bengal, that is!)

Like everyone else, I've tried most all the enzymatic products, but -- for me -- they either don't completely cover the smell... or, it comes back. I need a FINAL solution NOW... otherwise I may lose one of my babies!!!!!!!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Although you can't smell the pee, unless you use the right product, your cat can smell the pee and will refresh it for you every few days. Tuff Oxi for pets works on both cat and dog pee, old and new. You can order it through Tuff Products.

We have an area in the living room where the new puppy decided this was the best pee spot in the world. I tried all sorts of products to remove the stain (but the ultraviolet light I use to see the pee) kept showing the stain. I finally tried Tuff Oxi, and it worked! The light shows only a pale carpet, no visible fluorescent green or yellow showing. I am extremely happy, this product was very effective and even the cats have stopped sniffing in the corner the pup was using.

You really need a UV light to see if you got all the offending stain out.