Bob's getting agressive

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Bob is getting aggressive - swatting and biting every time I try to give him his pill or try to groom him, trying to claim my seat when I'm in the living room, putting his tail in my face when I sleep. I was making some progress in getting him to wait for his breakfast (he was waking me up @ 2-3am to be fed) but he's become totally obnoxious. I do have Feliway plugged in and he's getting his annual vet visit on Thursday. It seems that he wants to prove his dominance over both me and the other cat. I was getting a vibe that he was going to attack me last night when he was sitting on the bed with me. He didn't but I was scared. What do I do now?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bob senses your insecurity towards him. You must stop being intimidated by him. Give him treats when he is good, time out when he is aggressive.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh I know how that can be, we have a little terror and it is taking some time, but you have to take your time and as Yayi has mentioned please try not be scared your cat will sense that.

Cats do get stressed when we try to give them pills, have you tried other ways of getting it into him, maybe mushed up in his food ?
About taking your seat, that is not necessarily aggressive, cats like to sit in warm places, so he is just finding a snuggly place to sleep.

Your cat will be trying to establish his dominance, cats do have ranks and he is trying to take the 'alpha' cat role. You haven't mentioned how he behaves towards your other cat much, but I suspect they will be having the usual tumbles
Also you haven't mentioned but if you spend half an hour here and there playing with cat-toys this will tire him and also divert attention away from you and your other cat.

Yayi mentioned 'time-out' this is also another good technique which I use with our terror. I just calmly pick him up and take him to another room. Theres a bed, cat-lit, water & toys so it is not a major punishment, just some quiet time and they do relax.

Take your time, it is frustrating but he will settle to a routine and way of being in your household

Good luck and keep us posted !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. Bob does try to scare Bickford and seems quite jealous any time I play with Bickford. I do think I need to play with both cats separately and together. As for his pill, I hate giving it to him in food in case either he doesn't eat it all or Bickford starts eating it. Perhaps if I monitor meal time a little more fully that won't be a problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update - I have been having some success getting Bob to wait until I wake up to eat. He's not happy about it but I have refused to feed him until 6am. The vet also suggested using pill pockets for his medication and to my suprise he likes them! Much less stress than trying to get a pill gun in his mouth.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh that is great news, I think you do have to be strong willed with them and they get into a routine that suits you better - especially if it has been affecting your sleep

I am also glad that you have found a better solution for his pills

Hows the playtime going with them both and is he not as aggressive towards Bickford

jokieman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bob'sMom

My Bob is getting aggressive - swatting and biting every time I try to give him his pill or try to groom him, trying to claim my seat when I'm in the living room, putting his tail in my face when I sleep. I was making some progress in getting him to wait for his breakfast (he was waking me up @ 2-3am to be fed) but he's become totally obnoxious. I do have Feliway plugged in and he's getting his annual vet visit on Thursday. It seems that he wants to prove his dominance over both me and the other cat. I was getting a vibe that he was going to attack me last night when he was sitting on the bed with me. He didn't but I was scared. What do I do now?
Next time he does something like this, scruff him and hold him for about 30 seconds longer than he wants to be held. Push his head down toward the ground and keep him there. consider it a mini-time-out. Don't let him go until you are ready to do so.

He will learn quickly who is dominant and the behavior should cease.