I am having the worst day ever!!!! Can't do it!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im trying to take my sick cats to the vet and Im not going to be able to make it because I cannot get them in their carriers! Im sitting here balling and bleeding from three attempts with only one cat! Both cats take two to three people to get them in a carrier and I cannot do it by myself! My kitten has shredded me up and the other one is hiding where I cannot reach! They are suppose to be to the vet in twenty minutes and I cannot do it at all!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear. You know, this may sound barbaric but three separate vets have recommended it to me.

Put them in a pillowcase. Well, two pillowcases. You will feel like you are doing something bad, but you aren't. It is safer for everyone, and they need to go to the vet. Once you have them each in a pillowcase, put them in their carriers for the car.

They'll be mad, but sometimes we have to do things for their own good!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They won't even let me do that! They wont let me near them right now! If you try putting them in anything of the sort they go crazy! i don't know what to do! The kitten is strong as hell I held her as tight as I could without killing her and got nowhere! My mom is trying to see if she can leave work to help but she has no experience with kitties so Im not sure if she can! Im not sure she can even leave work to help!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) Call the vet and tell them what's up and that you'll be late

2) Take a few minutes to calm yourself down... have a tea or something. The cats can sense how stressed out you are and it is making them even more stressed out.

3) Ignore them for a few minutes, and then see if you can lure them out with a favorite toy or something. Once they come out, leave them alone for awhile again. Get them in separate rooms. Close the door.

4) Once you have one in a room, sit down on the floor with the pillowcase very calmly and give the cat some scritches. No sudden movements. After everything you've done to get them into the carrier they are angry and scared.

The reason I suggested the pillowcase is that it is really easy to get them in it once you're near them.

The number one rule with cats (and I fear you're learning it the hard way right now) is that the second anything becomes even remotely a battle, you're done. Cease and desist. Because it is only gonna get worse, and you'll always lose. It's like have a big rat in your hair, if you tug and pull at it it will only get worse. If you rub some conditioner in it and gently try to comb it out little by little, you will get a lot further!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, from what you've said I can imagine pretty well what has been going on.

Are the cats still hiding? And are you leaving them alone?

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im leaving them alone! Tiger came up to me to be pet and I did and let him be! I put treats in their carriers... Other than that Im not giving them the time of day. They are stressed enough!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through this with Ferris.

I had to CALM DOWN, which wasn't easy, but it was the ONLY way to deal with it.

I had to close him off in the kitchen, where there are the fewest places he could hide from me - and I had to chase him in there to do it.

I had to put on heavy gloves, and avoid eye contact with him in addition to trying NOT to think about the fact that I was trying to catch him for his own good.

Think calm thoughts, blue skies, fluffy clouds, etc.

Then grab him, drop him into the carrier from the top and slam the door shut.

I was able to do it ONLY after I got as calm as possible. The gloves made all the difference in my being able to grab him and get him in the carrier without me getting hurt/pulling away/losing my grip.

Good luck, sweetie.

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This isn't going to help you today but I have learned that getting the carriers out a couple days before the vet appt helps a lot. My cats know when they see the carrier to hide. So by getting them out earlier they get used to them sitting out and lose the desire to hide.

Some people leave the carriers out all the time with beds in them. Their cats use them as their "safe place". So when scared they go into their carriers.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I hope everything worked out! Reeses hates the carrier too but she doesn't flip out too much. We just have to stand the carrier up and put her in feet first. The last time we did it we had to shove her back in because she was trying to escape. It was kind of amusing and sad at the same time

I did try putting the carrier out the day before but it stressed her out too much.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom came over and we ended up wrapping them in towels and pushing them into the carriers! It was a breeze... What the hell lol sure be good for my mom! Must be that authority thing! Anyways Im going to pick them up now! My kitten got me good today.... Whooo you should see the damage! good news is they are ok having issues adjusting to a new diet... Which means no wet food in the mean time!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's helpful to convince them, in general, that the carrier is their friend. Can you imagine having to do this in an emergency, say, an evacuation? Zissou is hanging out in hers right now, and anytime she sees me pack my bags she hops right in it. Trust me, I had as bloody a battle as you once, so if you'd (or anyone) like help getting them to love the bomb
let me know!

I'm so glad to hear that everyone is okay! Keep your wounds clean and dry, I have those scars myself

catsitterbea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with Mia Mouse 100%. Leave the cat carriers out full time. I did that and my kitties loved it. Had no problems. Put in there their toys and a bed.

Another idea would be to put the carrier open side up if it's that kind of a carrier. Then you can put them in butt first. That is of course, before a major battle begins.

Glad it worked out for them with Mom's help. Whew!

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my Juno was sick from recalled food I could not catch her. My grandson had to chase her all over my bedroom. She hates him anyway but I couldn't crawl all over the floor. She's a feral cat and has a deep mistrust of people. My other cat was so easy, I just picked her up and put her in the carrier.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am gald you got them! I leave the carrier out as well, but they always seem to know when it is for real and when it is for recreational purposes.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I leave the kittens carrier out constantly and she still hates it! I always try putting them in butt first, opening facing the ceiling... Sometimes it works and sometimes it's a huge battle! The kitten was feral and is very skiddish around anyone but myself... also this is her 5th vet trip in 3 months so she doesnt associate her carrier with good thoughts! Her carrier is always out and open to her welcome in my room... The older cats is put away! He is not as bad of a struggle! The kitten never use to be a struggle until today! I've got tons of marks to show for it... A slashed hand and 3 huge scratches on my chest!

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is how I get my girls into the carrier when it's time for a vet visit.
A few days before the visit I move their food and water from the kitchen to the living room right next to the carrier. When I come home from work on the day of the vet visit I close off the bedroom and bathroom doors and put a little food in in their bowls. When they come to eat I quickly put Maggs in the carrier first (she can't run as fast as Jazz
) then I chase Jazz untill I finally catch her
keep myself as close to the opening of the carrier as I can and (gently) push her in, mission accomplished
Good Luck to you.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I had to put on heavy gloves, and avoid eye contact with him in addition to trying NOT to think about the fact that I was trying to catch him for his own good.
Cats are very smart...if I even look at Emily while I'm thinking about putting her in a carrier she knows and runs to hide. I have to pretend to be casually walking by her on my way to somewhere else and then suddenly swoop down and pick her up.

I'm glad you were able to get them!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luck you! Mine is usually not such a task! I tried getting the kitten in three times by myself! She scratched the life out of the palm of my hand and three huge gouges on my chest! She was not wanting to go in today.... then my mom came over not knowing jack about cats... Wrapped them in a towel and shoved them in! I was so stressed that I didnt even think about doing that! OMG I was crying hysterically... This week is too much for me with sick kitties, vet trips, and moving! I feel better now knowing they are ok and I will wear my kittens battle wounds proudly LOL!