Student changed a setting somehow...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm posting from work at the moment because I'm stumped.

One of my student's somehow had made her Caps lock key so when it is on, she gets lowercase letters, and when it is off, she gets all caps!

I've looked at the Accessibility settings and they seem fine. I've been on Microsoft's website searching there but no luck so far. At the moment I just have her using the keyboard with the settings like that. Does anyone have any idea what she did and how to fix it?

I'm stumped.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you changed the keyboard on your computer and it doesn't happen on the other keyboard, I'm ruling out virus or trojan??

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a distant and somewhat foggy memory, but perhaps it will jar some helpful insight loose...

It is to do with accessibility, though I haven't changed any of the defaults on my machine. What I recall is at some point having "sat" on the shift key, while pondering something, for long enough that it kicked the all-caps setting in. (There was a message I think, but I don't remember exactly what.) What I don't remember is precisely how I recovered from that. I think I may have tried repeating the offending action, in the hope that it would toggle the setting off.

FWIW

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

It's a distant and somewhat foggy memory, but perhaps it will jar some helpful insight loose...

It is to do with accessibility, though I haven't changed any of the defaults on my machine. What I recall is at some point having "sat" on the shift key, while pondering something, for long enough that it kicked the all-caps setting in. (There was a message I think, but I don't remember exactly what.) What I don't remember is precisely how I recovered from that. I think I may have tried repeating the offending action, in the hope that it would toggle the setting off.

FWIW
I've done that one too. I actually went and set her computer so the keyboard shortcuts for the accessibility features won't work now.

I noticed after I posted this that when I tried to click an icon, it selected that icon and all the ones above it in the window. So I restarted the computer and so far so good. I was about to try using the system restore but that just froze.
That's when I got into just poking around the control panel. I'd still really like to know what she did, so the next time someone does it I can fix it!