How too??

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, I have tried many different things, from talking to my 2 cats, to simply removing them from areas I do not want them in. But nothing is working. I do not want sugar and spice on certain things, so how can I get my message through to them to not go there. Mainly the big issue is the computer desk. I have done my best to hide the wires, but I do not want them on the desk. My other desk is fine. Any help is greatly appreciated.

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Consistency is key. You must remove your cats from the desk every time you see them on it. Do this with a firm low toned "down". If you ever allow them to stay they will get a mixed message that says sometimes its okay so I'll do it anyway. Its like children. They test us when they can and its our job as parents to be firm ,consistent and set limits.

The tone of your voice is important it should only be used when you are serious. They will know when you speak with that tone you mean it.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, you need to learn that the CATS are the bosses. We merely serve them.

I have pretty much given up on keeping them off of things - except for the stove. I keep a pile of pots and pans up there now - too precarious and noisy for them to jump up there now.

davcat5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use a squirt bottle. I tell them NO! and squirt them. The obey in a hurry. Now all I have to do is point the bottle at them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
not squirting anything around the computer though, that would not be good.
I have tried the toned NO, and it has not worked. Hence why I am asking.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If YOU can stand it for a couple of days, put double sided sticky tape on your desk... they hate it! Or try crumpled silver foil on top, and spray with something citrusy.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Also, you need to learn that the CATS are the bosses. We merely serve them.
That's my answer, too. It's just 'way easier.
And some people do the squirt bottle thing, but I don't think it's a good idea. You don't want your kitties to feel alienated from you.

When my father tried the squirt method years ago, it worked for a week or so. And then one day, Dylan decided enough was enough! He just stood there and took the squirting, defiantly, looking my father right in the eye as if to say, "I may be a cat, but I deserve more respect than this." And he does!

And I'm proud to say that my father has never squirted a cat again.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't use a squirt bottle, cats move so fast you can easily get them in the ear by accident which can cause infections.

Patience and consistancy is what worked for us. Double sided tape also seems to work well.

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wont use the squirt bottle. But will be getting doubled sided tape tomorrow after getting paid. Will put it on the desk edges to start and see. Also sugar has started hopping onto the counters by the stove, so gonna try stopping that tomorrow too. Will put double sided tape on the handles, edges, and on non hot areas of the the stove. Wish me luck.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes a good hiss at the moment of the bad behavior works. Consistency is most important - think of housebreaking a puppy and redirecting them outside the second they start to squat.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest a growl!
After you pick them up and put them off the desk, if they hop back up (especially if it's immediately after), growl or hiss at them- it's just cat speak for "no" or "get away".
Works with my foster kittens, and the occasional adult nowadays
. They don't love me any less!

Oh! Someone here also had the idea for putting the double sided tape on cardboard, and laying that on the countertop, etc. so you weren't sticking tape all over the top of everything, and it was easy to remove when you needed that space! I love that idea, myself!

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Sometimes a good hiss at the moment of the bad behavior works. Consistency is most important - think of housebreaking a puppy and redirecting them outside the second they start to squat.
I have tried to be consistant in it, but it is hard to be when I am at work during the night. Will try the tape idea, and maybe an odor deterrant too. We shall see.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The key to getting a cat to stay away from somewhere is to make them not want to go there. It's the only thing that will work as cats can't be trained as easily as dogs. They will only do or refrain from doing something if they think it's their idea, eg if a negative association is made with doing something they may simply decide not to do it. But that depends a lot on the cat's personality. Some are fairly easily deterred while others will go where you don't want them to go regardless of what you do. Cats like heights so most are attracted to tables, kitchen counters etc which tend to be the kind of places people dont want them to go.

You can try double sided tape, repellent spray, booby trapping the area so that they are startled when they jump up there or just saying no/hissing at them when they go up there. These things all have various success rates and will work for some cats. But with other cats none will work and there's not a lot you can do about that except to simply shut them out of the area. Or you may be able to persuade them not to go there when you're in the room but as soon as your back's turned they'll be up there. If you dont want them on your computer desk you may need to shut them out of the room where the desk is. But good luck with sticky tape etc!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder, is there something in particular on the computer desk that they want to get to? Friday used to sleep on the dining room table. I figured out that he liked sleeping on my placemats. I decided to pick my battles and found another home for them. He still will get up there from time to time but it's very rare.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittydad

wont use the squirt bottle. But will be getting doubled sided tape tomorrow after getting paid. Will put it on the desk edges to start and see. Also sugar has started hopping onto the counters by the stove, so gonna try stopping that tomorrow too. Will put double sided tape on the handles, edges, and on non hot areas of the the stove. Wish me luck.
I used the tape on the edges of the desk and my clever girl learned to walk around it

I've had some luck using a cheap plastic place mat covered with double sided tape so it basically covers as much of the surface as possible. This was limited success and if I even forget once to put that mat down when I'm not here I basically have to start over again. Finally I had to close off the areas that were the most tempting and live with some others.

It did however, have the unintentional effect of training my husband to stay away from the kitchen counters

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dunno. I hope the sticky tape works but I find the more I try to keep Bob away or off stuff the more determined he is to get there. He is such a little stinker.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

It did however, have the unintentional effect of training my husband to stay away from the kitchen counters
Thanks for the laugh! I wonder if I could use it in reverse to get my husband to do the dishes?

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AsecretK

I dunno. I hope the sticky tape works but I find the more I try to keep Bob away or off stuff the more determined he is to get there. He is such a little stinker.
I've trained my cats to stay down from all tables and counters... but when I'm not around it's a different story

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the varying success. The squirt bottle and firm tone methods work with my kittens. You just have to find what works with yours. And don't let anyone bully you into another way. If it works for yours, go for it. I keep mine out of the kitchen because one of them somehow cut himself on one of the appliances...like underneath where there were open spaces or the botton oven drawer...I never found out for sure. They just aren't allowed anymore and if I have to scare them or make them mad at me to keep it from happening again, I will. But they still follow me around and cuddle with me when I lay down or watch TV so I don't think the squirt bottle made them hate me.