Help Me I'm a bad Meowmy!!! Help ASAP!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I am a bad mom! Here is some background... I have two cats (one 5 year old male and one 8 month female)! 2 months ago they were eating Nutro... Nutro Weight Management for the 5 year old, and Nutro Max Cat Gourmet for the kitten! Then I switched them to Wellness Healthy Weight for the 5 year old and Kitten Formula for the Kitten! During this time I also started them on a wet/dry food combo (hoping for all wet in the future)... So they were eating Wellness dry and Felidae Chicken and Rice Wet! As if that wasn't enough I decided to change them to Innova Evo dry (not for long term) last week! Usually both cats get 1 full can of Felidae wet between the both of them (split into a morning and night feeding) and 1/2 a cup each of the EVO dry during the day while Im at work! Everything went fine up until yesterday! I have cleaned up about 10 throw up piles and the litter box has been consumed with diarrhea! I thought it was the kitten this whole time (which it may have been) but this morning she was a spitfire and super active (yesterday not so much)! Then finally I came across my 5 year old cat sitting next to a puke pile... He is now sick! I didn't feed either cat today because I don't want to do anymore damage! Im calling the vet for advise in a little while to see if I need to take the older one in! What is something they can eat that is easily digestable (that both can eat)? I know this is my fault for changing their diet so frequently in the past three months and now I would love to make it up to them! Please no mean comments... Im new to the catworld (only had one for a year tops) and would never purposely torture their tummies!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many, many cats find some of the foods you've been feeding them to be way too rich.

When you switch foods, you should do one at a time (dry or wet) and do it very gradually. With dry, mix it in very slowly so one day they're eating almost all their old food, next day a little more, and finally by the end it's all new food. One reason this is a good idea is that it is much easier on them but also if something does go wrong, like an allergy, it appears earlier on and you can switch right back.

Another very important thing is that cats cannot go with out food the way people can. Please call the vet ASAP so you can figure out what to feed them.

That said, stage 1 baby food (it's just ground-up-meat no garlic or onions, check the label) can be used short-term for upset tummies. You can warm it up a little bit to make it more enticing.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not a bad meowmy, we only try to do what's best for our charges.

It may not be the food at all, he may have picked up a virus or bacterial infection - so best to get him to the vet to have that either ruled out or treated, first and foremost. In the meantime feed something bland like plain boiled chicken or fish. If the vet rules out an infection, then I would switch back to whatever they were eating before without these problems, and try a gradual switch to something new, taking into account the ingredients as such a sudden reaction may point to a food allergy, if it's not an infection of some sort.

I hope you can get this sorted

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trixie~~

*nodding* along with previous 2 posters.

First thing is, I bet lots of pets are going through similar situations from a lot of food changes and tummy rumbles. It's scary, especially now, in light of *WHY* we are changing foods.

You need to see the vet, yes. Get peace of mind and a grounded diet plan on track.

Offer a non rich food, bland as possible. Maybe hold off on the meatier wet dishes. My cats do tend to puke less on dry food but that is such an individual thing. And offer small amounts only. The baby food is often a suggestion for sickly cats or those with tummy upset, but def stay away from garlic or onions. Perhaps going back to their orginal food before all the switching? Nutro was it? The dry is fine and it was the pouches that were recalled, I believe.

Leave plenty of water available too, fresh water, to help with loss of hydration.

You are not a bad cat mommy
We all have done something that we question later. A lot of pet 'parenthood' is trial and error (just like all parenthood!)

Keep us posted.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please check them to see if they've become dehydrated as well. They are undoubtedly a little bit, but pull up a little piece of skin and see if it snaps right back into place or makes a little tent. If it does anything but snap right back, just take them to the vet... they need fluids. I've had to have this done for Zissou it's not so bad!

And yea, many of us have been changing foods this often. I think I have like eight kinds of wet food right now, but she doesn't like most of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im taking them to the vet! This has happend at the worst of times... Im moving this week and now my bank is going to be broke! My pets are worth it! Both have to go to the vet today (vet's orders) and the initial vist alone percat (because they are on seperate charts) is $45 a piece... Not including any diagnostic testing... They did say they will work with me on payments as long as I pay the $90 office visit for both immediatley! Errr Im frustrated my poor kitties! Im so paranoid I had to take them to the vet! I feel horrible for this! What are some bland and digestible drys?!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trixie -

From another new cat mom (a little over a year), I know exactly what you're going through. I have second, third, and fourth guessed myself enough to make myself ill. I think it's harder on those of us who actually do try to think what the "right thing" might be, as opposed to just going to the grocery store and grabbing whatever's on sale. Try not to be too hard on yourself
Good thoughts are going out to you and your babies.

You are doing the best thing by taking them to the vet. Please keep us updated.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Im taking them to the vet! This has happend at the worst of times... Im moving this week and now my bank is going to be broke! My pets are worth it! Both have to go to the vet today (vet's orders) and the initial vist alone percat (because they are on seperate charts) is $45 a piece... Not including any diagnostic testing... They did say they will work with me on payments as long as I pay the $90 office visit for both immediatley! Errr Im frustrated my poor kitties! Im so paranoid I had to take them to the vet! I feel horrible for this! What are some bland and digestible drys?!
When you have kids and pets, it is a RULE that everything has to happen at the worst of times

Sounds like you have a good vet

Believe me--I know. I am moving in 2 months, the house is on the market (must always be ready to 'show') we are currently building the other one, (new issues pop up every day) I have 2 toddlers, and 5 cats, and just came off of a marking behavior (never figured out WHO, but controlled finally) but then came the recalls (now have food switching&worrying), and a cat who came down with a fever of 'unknown origins' and has been isolated for me to monitor and care for him properly.

My brain doesn't turn off.

Like I said earlier, if you have some of your original Nutro dry (which they were all on at first) that might be the way to go. I wouldn't introduce any new foods at the moment, unless the vet has something in mind.

A simple canned food (no lamb or beef, preferably) would be good too for the added moisture, since your guys are probably in need of hydration.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know! I would have takin them to the vet regardless! Im a cat hypochondriac! Any sign of illness they go! Which is good for them and me but bad for the bank LOL! Hopefully they will get better! My bf was way harsh on me about the situation last night! Saying I need to not change their food and it was stupid and if they ruin his furniture then they are out! :censor::censor::censor:... He shouldn't have pets or kids ever then! He made me feel even worse as if I didn't already know I made a bad desicion! Ahhh I could cry!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have Felidae Wet! Would feeding them wet be safe? Im taking them to the vet and I will explain everything as I have to you all! Im going to ask her for suggestions and if she says continue with the food... Should I keep them to the wet or dry? Im sure hydration is a must at this point!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know! I would have takin them to the vet regardless! Im a cat hypochondriac! Any sign of illness they go! Which is good for them and me but bad for the bank LOL! Hopefully they will get better! My bf was way harsh on me about the situation last night! Saying I need to not change their food and it was stupid and if they ruin his furniture then they are out! :censor::censor::censor:... He shouldn't have pets or kids ever then! He made me feel even worse as if I didn't already know I made a bad desicion! Ahhh I could cry!
No offense intended, but I would not be happy with someone who cared more about his furniture than he did his cats. Happily, my DH shares my cattitude, and our babies are way spoiled. And I definitely understand about the bank part. I just had both of mine to the vet multiple times because I was freaked out over having given them one pouch of a brand that was recalled, and the fact that I didn't think they were peeing enough. So two rounds of blood tests, 3 sets of urinalysis - over $400. That on top of having to replace our hot water heater ($1,000), and all I can say is I'm glad I haven't maxed out my credit card yet.

Do you know about Care Credit? http://www.carecredit.com/?dtc=D066&...Textcarecredit I haven't used it, but know someone who did and it at least gives you a breather from paying interest.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hun, many many cats find foods too rich - as has been mentioned - and a change of food can also make them sick. The best thing you can do is go to the vet and use only the food that your vet can give you. I would recommend Hills or Royal Canin - because the food that they make will be specifically geared towards your cats needs. Another thing, do not put them on entirely wet food, unless of course they have problems with crystals in urine, because it can be very bad for the teeth (the biscuits can help prevent tartar build-up), lacking in fibre and many wet food products do not contain anywhere near the right nutritional value for them. Again though, if you must use wet food, use only the food that can be given to you by the vet - Hills make good wet food, for kittens and for adults. Foods like whiskas, Kit-e-kat etc etc are literally junk food for your cat. As per the past few posts on Eukanuba and Iams being recalled, I would also avoid those brands.

Hills and Royal Canin make digestable dry foods that are tailored specifically to a cats needs; by age and weight and sex. Both my girls are on Royal Canins digestable dry food for female neutered cats, (sterilized to age 7). If they were an elderly male with a weight problem for example, you could buy Royal Canin FRD - which is a bland digestable dry for adults who need to slim (we also use it for cats with stomach upsets because it is so bland and light in the stomach). I swear by it, and there is no need to give them any other foods. My girls only get wet food as a treat, or if they need medicine. If they associate the wet food as being a treat, the medicine goes in a lot faster and easier, trust me!

I am only passing on the advice that is given to everyone by our own vet - but I would suggest that you talk to your own vet and come to a better solution for them.

Get well soon kitties!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

No offense intended, but I would not be happy with someone who cared more about his furniture than he did his cats. Happily, my DH shares my cattitude, and our babies are way spoiled. And I definitely understand about the bank part. I just had both of mine to the vet multiple times because I was freaked out over having given them one pouch of a brand that was recalled, and the fact that I didn't think they were peeing enough. So two rounds of blood tests, 3 sets of urinalysis - over $400. That on top of having to replace our hot water heater ($1,000), and all I can say is I'm glad I haven't maxed out my credit card yet.

Do you know about Care Credit? http://www.carecredit.com/?dtc=D066&...Textcarecredit I haven't used it, but know someone who did and it at least gives you a breather from paying interest.
No I have never heard of that I will check out the link! My bf likes cats he is just impatient with everything that lives or breathes! That being humans and animals! He gets irritated too easily! Im sure part of it is stress since we are moving this week but still sh** happens! I dread finding out how much this will cost me... I only have $100 I can put towards this today and the rest I can make payments on if they will allow me! Things always happen at the worst of times! It never fails! This is one hell of a week and it is only tuesday!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

Hun, many many cats find foods too rich - as has been mentioned - and a change of food can also make them sick. The best thing you can do is go to the vet and use only the food that your vet can give you. I would recommend Hills or Royal Canin - because the food that they make will be specifically geared towards your cats needs. Another thing, do not put them on entirely wet food, unless of course they have problems with crystals in urine, because it can be very bad for the teeth (the biscuits can help prevent tartar build-up), lacking in fibre and many wet food products do not contain anywhere near the right nutritional value for them. Again though, if you must use wet food, use only the food that can be given to you by the vet - Hills make good wet food, for kittens and for adults. Foods like whiskas, Kit-e-kat etc etc are literally junk food for your cat. As per the past few posts on Eukanuba and Iams being recalled, I would also avoid those brands.

Hills and Royal Canin make digestable dry foods that are tailored specifically to a cats needs; by age and weight and sex. Both my girls are on Royal Canins digestable dry food for female neutered cats, (sterilized to age 7). If they were an elderly male with a weight problem for example, you could buy Royal Canin FRD - which is a bland digestable dry for adults who need to slim (we also use it for cats with stomach upsets because it is so bland and light in the stomach). I swear by it, and there is no need to give them any other foods. My girls only get wet food as a treat, or if they need medicine. If they associate the wet food as being a treat, the medicine goes in a lot faster and easier, trust me!

I am only passing on the advice that is given to everyone by our own vet - but I would suggest that you talk to your own vet and come to a better solution for them.

Get well soon kitties!
Thanks Felidae and Wellness are the only wets I have tried! they have done fine with the wets but I m thinking the combo of wet with the new dry just is not a match for them! I will ask my vet for the best food source for my cats! I never give them grocery store bought brand wets! Im sure I wouldn't even be able to convert my cats to all wet because they eat so little of it! I've been told the older cat has slight gingivitis so maybe wet should be only special occasion as is!

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

They have Felidae Wet! Would feeding them wet be safe? Im taking them to the vet and I will explain everything as I have to you all! Im going to ask her for suggestions and if she says continue with the food... Should I keep them to the wet or dry? Im sure hydration is a must at this point!
Do you have a simple chicken and rice can? If your cats have had the Felidae and like it, at this point (you are going to the vet) why not offer it. At least for the immediate nutrition and hydration. Felidae is a quality food

The main link to the company: http://www.canidae.com/

And your Felidae wet ingredients:

http://www.canidae.com/cats/chicken_...ce/canned.html

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are on the Felidae Chicken and Rice Formula! They have been on that with a combination of wet for almost 3 weeks! They love their Felidae! Im not at home right now so I cannot give them it at this point! Im leaving work in a few minutes to pick them up and take them to the vet!

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

They are on the Felidae Chicken and Rice Formula! They have been on that with a combination of wet for almost 3 weeks! They love their Felidae! Im not at home right now so I cannot give them it at this point! Im leaving work in a few minutes to pick them up and take them to the vet!
That is good

Like I said before, Felidae is a quality food and many pet owners try it but their cats just don't go for it; so it's great your guys like it!

I'd be interested in hearing what your vet says.

In other news--you might notice your cats get hissy with each other after the vets (the dreaded EVIL VET SMELLS). You might have to isolate each for a bit, cuddle them so your smells get on them, then go back to life as usual. It's such a pita! But eases the stress on everyone.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cant get them to the vet because they won't let me put them in their carriers! It takes at least two people to get them in and I am all by myself! Im bleeding all over from three different attempts and they are hiding where I cannot reach them!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See my recommendation in your other thread.

When you come back we can help you get them used to the carriers so this doesn't happen! It shouldn't be such a struggle for you every time.

Aw

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I cant get them to the vet because they won't let me put them in their carriers! It takes at least two people to get them in and I am all by myself! Im bleeding all over from three different attempts and they are hiding where I cannot reach them!
I didn't check the other thread, but I'm sure you got some good advice already.

I normally set the carrier on end, so the door faces the ceiling. Tiger could be a tough one, since he's a big boy. I realize he might have a tummyache already, but do you have any food that you could bribe him out of hiding with? Just a little something...

I know you're frustrated, I've been there! Maybe the best thing to do is ignore them for a little bit. They'll probably come out of hiding if you ignore them. Then if you can just get them (and the carriers) in a "hidey hole" free zone, you'll have an advantage at least. You can do it!!

ETA: You've got bigger fish to fry at the moment, and I don't want to get off track here, but FYI, the vast majority of wet foods contain just as much or more nutrients as dry...and it's very beneficial for health, all around. The idea that dry food cleans teeth is not true. You were just trying to do the right thing! It'll be OK!