Long term effects of Catnip

kovo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Its been almost a year since my last post. Heres a link of a gallery of Tobi, now a year old Tabby Cat.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...e&id=513930499

I just wanted to know how often is it safe to give my cat catnip. Now Im talking about that spray u can buy. I spray it on his scratch mat or some other toy and he goes crazy in love for about 5 minutes. Is it ok tog ive it to him every day? Once everyday. I have the actual catnip leaves but I dont give him that.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes catnip is safe ... No you are not giving the cat drugs... the affect s where off within a few minutes and arent litterally intoxicating

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We have several catnip plants in our yard, and the local cats have been coming to get their daily "fix" for years. They like the fresh stuff, and come autumn I pick the leaves and dry them. Then my husband cuts the plants back. The dry leaves actually seem more potent.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

We have several catnip plants in our yard, and the local cats have been coming to get their daily "fix" for years. They like the fresh stuff, and come autumn I pick the leaves and dry them. Then my husband cuts the plants back. The dry leaves actually seem more potent.
The dry leaves are definately more potent. I have a small garden of herbs and at the proper time I dry them on the patio roof in the sun. Sun dried catnip is great stuff! Just ask Persi. But like everything else; fish, chicken, whatever, Alley just wants to stick to dry cat food.

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only long term effects I know of are soggy wet ruined catnip pillows that need chucking away because they have been drooled on so much