Pro Plan Selects

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed two new flavors of Pro Plan today while picking up cat food. The name is Pro Plan Selects, one flavor is Natural Yellowfin Tuna & Mackerel Entree, and the second is Natural Salmon & Brown Rice Entree.

Here are the ingredients of the tuna & mackerel:
fish broth, yellowfin tuna,chicken, mackerel, turkey, liver, wild rice,oat meal, egg product, tricalcium phosphate, guar gum,spinach, sweet potatoes, blueberry pomace, and various vitamins and minerals, salt and carrageenan.

The Salmon and brown rice ingredients are:
fish broth, salmon,chicken, liver, brown rice,oat meal, egg product, guar gum,spinach, sweet potatoes, blueberry pomace, and various vitamins and minerals, salt and carrageenan.

Probably not the worlds best (I hate terms like "liver" ..from where?? what kind?) but it has NO wheat/corn or rice glutens, so I thought others might like to try this.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried these two flavors (I also have a chicken one I think) and they were well received by the kits. I don't think I'll have any problem getting them to eat the remaining two cans.
I do, however, object to paying .85 for a 3oz can of purina when I can get Blue Buffalo for less, or a 5.5 oz can of Merrick's for a little more. I have a coupon that came in a selects dry food sample and I may buy again (but only with the coupon or a good sale).

So, on a scale of 1-5 (5 being best) I'd give them:
Nutrition: 3 or 3.5
Taste: looks like a 5 (it was demolished)
Cost: 1

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought some yesterday, opened it, then remembered that because I want to feed fairly low phosphorus for kidney protection, I should call and ask what phosphorus % is in these foods by dry wt.
It was one .48% as served....wet.

I was told by customer service that I would be called back but haven't heard from them yet.
Can anyone calculate the wet% to dry weight?
I suspect it's high....
Do you think it is OK Pat?
It is really confusing to me.

Here is a formula from SD (Savory Chicken EntrýMature Adult 7+) as an example----
Phosphorus 0.10 Guarantee / Minimum 0.17 as fed / 0.69 dry matter.
There is a huge difference between the % from as fed compared the them much high and more accurate dry matter.

This is SD's explanation of ---as fed vs dry matter.
"The nutrient in the product after moisture is removed is used to make direct comparisons of nutrient profiles of products with differing moisture contents.
Nutrient intake for every 100 kilocalories consumed."

missy ro-ro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed Chloe ProPlan Indoor forumla, Salmon and Rice flavor. It has wheat gluten in it, but Purina hasn't recalled any of their ProPlan foods, right? Should I switch it anyway? I wonder if PetsMart would take it back, even if it's been opened? It's so frustrating, wondering if you are feeding your cats the right stuff! Anya eats Hills i/d, because of her IBS, and thankfully that is wheat gluten free.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
.48% as fed seems very high...I think it's possible that they misquoted the number, or gave you the number for a dry food?? Because in "dry matter" on a wet food, .48% would be roughly 2.18%

Basically, you take 100 minus the moisture % of the food (usually 78 for wet food), so

100-78 = 22

22 is the "dry" part of the wet food.

Then you take the "as fed / guaranteed analysis" number and divide by the "dry percent" that you just calculated, which would be 22

So, if you're looking at a can of wet food and it says "Protein 9%", and "Moisture 78%, to convert to dry matter,

9 divided by 22 = .409

Then multiply that by 100 to express it as a percent, so

.409 x 100 = 40.9

So in that case, when you see 9% Protein (with 78% moisture), the "dry matter" Protein percent would be 40.9%

Following the Science Diet example you gave, I can't get my calculations to come out exactly the same, but that should be close. Of course, "as fed" will be slightly different than the numbers we see on the label, so that makes it even more confusing.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

.48% as fed seems very high...I think it's possible that they misquoted the number, or gave you the number for a dry food?? Because in "dry matter" on a wet food, .48% would be roughly 2.18%

Basically, you take 100 minus the moisture % of the food (usually 78 for wet food), so

100-78 = 22

22 is the "dry" part of the wet food.

Then you take the "as fed / guaranteed analysis" number and divide by the "dry percent" that you just calculated, which would be 22

So, if you're looking at a can of wet food and it says "Protein 9%", and "Moisture 78%, to convert to dry matter,

9 divided by 22 = .409

Then multiply that by 100 to express it as a percent, so

.409 x 100 = 40.9

So in that case, when you see 9% Protein (with 78% moisture), the "dry matter" Protein percent would be 40.9%

Following the Science Diet example you gave, I can't get my calculations to come out exactly the same, but that should be close. Of course, "as fed" will be slightly different than the numbers we see on the label, so that makes it even more confusing.

Well done, beandip. I just need a little nap now.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you for that formula beandip.....

I called again this morning about their canned phosphorus dry matter %.
Once again I was told ---- .48% as served.
I was also told that they did not figure dry weight %.
She gave me a lecture on how the, as fed %, is all the info I need.

Purina is the only company that I have talked to who discounted my concerns about dry weight percentages.

So...none of this food for my kitties at 2.18% dry wt.
It would be dangerous for their long term kidney function.

Maybe someone else could call and ask this question again to be sure but the way it stands now...
I will not feed it to my kitties.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Originally Posted by xocats

So...none of this food for my kitties at 2.18% dry wt.
It would be dangerous for their long term kidney function.
Well I haven't studied Phosphorus content before, I guess it varies more than I thought, from brand to brand, flavor to flavor...I scanned this chart and I see some that are down around .3 and some that are even higher than the food we're discussing here...http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

Of course I think that page is pretty out of date...but still good for the sake of comparison...I was trying to grasp if 2.18 was even possible, and based on that chart, it would appear so.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we tried the pro plan selects "chicken & brown rice," and "salmon & brown rice."

the guys LOVED the salmon.

the chicken flavor was pronounced "inedible".
they barely even licked it and made faces that looked kind of like this:

i wasn't impressed with the price, so probably won't buy it again.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wont try it do to Purina building a plant in China .... Note the labels say printed in USA ... nothing about where it was made
.... I was planning to try it prior to finding out about the plant as it does look decent

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I bought some yesterday, opened it, then remembered that because I want to feed fairly low phosphorus for kidney protection, I should call and ask what phosphorus % is in these foods by dry wt.
It was one .48% as served....wet.

I was told by customer service that I would be called back but haven't heard from them yet.
Can anyone calculate the wet% to dry weight?
I suspect it's high....
Do you think it is OK Pat?
It is really confusing to me.
Hi, I see Beandip has already given a great answer, but thought this page would be helpful (sorry I am not doing the calculations for you, but I am SO behind today it is scary):
http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/foodfaq.html You will see she gives the methods used to get per cent of phos, protein etc, so you can apply this to any canned cat food.

I would guess this is not the best for crf kitties, just posted it as a hey, look a food w/out glutens!!