Mom Dislikes Son Now....

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom cat has been growling and hissing at her son, who is now almost 10 months old. They are spayed/nuetered and there are other cats in the house, so why does she 'dislike' her baby?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think it's just a territorial thing. Maybe the son it trying to be the top cat in the house and the mom cat doesn't want to let him - she wants to let him know he has to work through the ranks. . . . .as long as there is no blood or wounds let them work it out.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I understand it, momcats have an instinct that tells them to push their babies "out of the nest," and can become resentful of them if they hang around too long. Could that be it?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

As I understand it, momcats have an instinct that tells them to push their babies "out of the nest," and can become resentful of them if they hang around too long. Could that be it?
While that could be it, this is not always the case, I have a mother and 5 babies, they are 2 yrs old now and a happy family.

It could also be that one of the cats is sick, and the other is picking up on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, they all seem to be healthy, so I am not sure that illness may play a part....we have 4 cats total, 2 males and 2 females, all spayed/nutered. The odd thing though is that the older 2 are so laid back they never seemed to care about the 'top cat'. I was worried about the older male when the female became pregnant, thinking HE was the one who was going to be unhappy about it but he has been the most accepting.
It is just our 'cow cat' mom who is having issues. It may be that she wants him gone, because she is ok with the other cats.
And he is a pest! He KNOWS he bothers her but doesn't seem to care, it is almost like he LIKES to bother her just by being around!
I can't figure it out.....