Information on Siamese?

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well after reading the children's book Skippyjon Jones at work, I fell in love with siamese cats. I was wondering if anyone had any information on them and if anyone knows of any breeders. Both my fiance and I want a siamese, so I am eager to start learning more about them as every breed of cat is different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any information on breeders either in my area (Richmond, Va) in my state (Virginia) or surrounding states?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you check out the breedlist link posted above, it has them sorted by breed, then by state so you should be able to find one. You just need to decide whether you like to traditional look or the more modern look better.

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm, both are very nice, but I think I like the old look better. I guess we'll see. The fiance likes them both.

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are Siamese good with other cats?

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wait, which body style is the old style? I like the long and lean body type with a wedged shaped head. Kind of exotic looking. I like the seal point siamese.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are good with dogs and other cats as long as the cats are also active cats. The traditional type have the round body type and head. Show Siamese are very thin with a very wedge shaped head and the new thing seems to be very large ears set almost on the sides of the heads. You can find Siamese that fall everywhere in between. I personally like the ones that fall in-between, sometimes called classic. They have a longer thinner body with a wedge shaped head but are not real extreme. A Siamese can be very vocal and they have a unique voice some people think that at times they can sound almost like a baby crying. Some Siamese are more vocal than others but it is something you need to be prepared for and they want a lot of attention and to be in the middle of everything.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese are very active cats. If you are considering only one, you should have another active cat or dog in the house or someone that is home most of the day.

They are pretty talkative too. Do you live in an apartment or single house, cause if an apartment, it might not be a good idea to have a siamese
I like the chocolate points the best as the coat color stays lighter. Seals tend to get a dark coat as they age.

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will be living in a 3bdrm townhome with two other cats. They are quite active and get into everything while I'm at work.

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From your other posts on TCS it sounds like you already have your hands full.

Originally Posted by Soka

Hmm, lets start with my room first. I live in the basement, so there is a lot of space down here.

2 cats (Tyran and Miki)
3 zebra danios (Tiger, 2 new)
2 mollies
1 Betta (Jolly Rodger)
1 Snow Corn snake (Zim)

Upstairs

2 Yorkies (Haley and Keltie)

Outside

2 samoyeds (Winona and Stosh)

Then we have two dogs at my mothers house.

1 Silky Terrier (Lacey)
1 Shitzu (Braylin)

And I'm about to add a leopard gecko to the mix in a month or two.

lyric

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a topnotch organization in Virginia: www.siameserescue.org
Siamese Rescue, they have many pure bred Siamese cats and kittens that need good homes.

I got my Siamese from them; actually from the Houston Siamese Rescue branch, and she is a gem. She was 7 months when I got her.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. First of all, I do not want to sound mean. My PHX is actually a siamese, so i'm speaking of personal opinions-not expert advice. If you have your hands full, please do not get a siamese cat. They demand ALL of your attention. Every last second is dedicated to my cat. He cries during the day when I'm at work--we are working on that. The second I walk in the door after work I am giving my life to him. I am not over exagerating- i promise. PHX will not let me go to the frickin' bathroom without him being there. He sits on the toilet while I take a shower. He even goes outside with us when we go out on the patio. If we go to the neighbors, he goes with. He follows me around the house like a little puppy dog. When I first got him he meowed all night because he was lonely. Siamese are VERY VOCAL! VERY FRIENDLY! They will get strongly attached to you. He is a very demanding cat..if your hands are already full- will you have enough time for a siamese cat? The decision of course, is up to you. Just giving you some friendly advice!

I looked these up for you.. hope it helps!

www.va.siameserescue.org
www.breedlist.com/breeders/sia_uw.html
www.siameserescue.org/webcam.html
http://purebredcatbreedrescue.org/siamese.htm

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trust me, I won't have my hands full. All of the dogs are not mine and other than walking my grandmother's yorkies for money, I don't take care of them. My only responsiblities are my current two cats, two fish tank that will be combined into one when I move, a snake, and one leopard gecko. At the townhome, those will be the only animals there. No dogs. Just cats and caged animals. As far as attention. When I am home, I spend about 99% of my time with my cats. The other one percent is bathing and eating. Oh and sleeping too.

Mybabyphx, your Phx sounds like my Tyran, minus taking the cat to the neighbors. She follows me around, goes into the bathroom with me (and will sit in my shorts while I use the toilet
). Right now she is circling my chair, wanting me to pick her up. When I got her from the rescue at the age of 3 months, she would not give me a moments peace. She would roam around the room and "get lost" and meow for me to come find her. She's like my "Siamese Training Cat". She is very vocal and has a different meow for everything. So I'm used to demanding cats. She's in my lap now watching me type. Both of my cats are tolerant of other cats and Tyran absolutely loves other cats. Miki has to warm up.

So I guess, what I've meant to say in all of that is, I won't have my hands full adding a new set of paws to the family. I'm actually used to a lot of animals. I grew up with animals all my life and depending on the schedule they are on, my animals get fed before me, cleaned up after before me, and get attention before I get my own time. (if at all with these fuzzballs)

Oh and thanks for all the links. I'll definatly be checking them out. I would love to get a Siamese from a rescue, and while I personally would not mind getting an adult, Miki is not a 'cat person' if that makes any sense. She really has to warm up to newcomers, but once she does, she sticks to them like glue. Her and Tyran are inseperable(sp). So, a kitten might .be best. Tyran on the other hand, could care less what age you are. She's still going to play with you.

black&tan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Soka,
Not all Siamese are desperately needy. It sounds like you are looking for a show style Siamese. They do have a tendency to be more talkative and have higher energy levels. They like to climb and be up high. If you will be in a multi family dwelling you will want to consider how much of a talker the Siamese you pick will be. The Siamese has a distinct voice and it seems people either love it or hate it. Those that don't like it say it is whiny and nagging. Those who love it hear it as conversation. You and anyone who will be living with you should spend some time with a Siamese breeder before you take a Siamese home. Fictional stories are not always accurate and often romanticize animals. Don't make this decision based on one book you read. Prioritize the reasons you are considering a Siamese. Make a list of what is most important to you when it come to choosing a kitten or cat. Cats are as individual as people are. A breeder will be able to guide you to the kitten/cat that will best fit what you are looking for. Check with the breed clubs in your area for a show you can attend so you can meet some breeders and make an appointment to visit with their cats.

A quick check of The National Siamese cat club shows a breeder listing in Virginia
http://www.chermaki.com/home.htm

You can see what winning show siamese look like on the CFA Siamese Breed Council webpage http://www.siamesebc.org/topSiamese2005-06.shtml

The Siamese Cat Rescue Center volunteers wiil be attending the Heritage Humane Society of Williamsburg “Bark in the Park†on Saturday, April 28th from 9am till noon. You could talk with them about the cats they have and you might even want to consider being a foster family.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Soka

Trust me, I won't have my hands full. All of the dogs are not mine and other than walking my grandmother's yorkies for money, I don't take care of them. My only responsiblities are my current two cats, two fish tank that will be combined into one when I move, a snake, and one leopard gecko. At the townhome, those will be the only animals there. No dogs. Just cats and caged animals. As far as attention. When I am home, I spend about 99% of my time with my cats. The other one percent is bathing and eating. Oh and sleeping too.

Mybabyphx, your Phx sounds like my Tyran, minus taking the cat to the neighbors. She follows me around, goes into the bathroom with me (and will sit in my shorts while I use the toilet
). Right now she is circling my chair, wanting me to pick her up. When I got her from the rescue at the age of 3 months, she would not give me a moments peace. She would roam around the room and "get lost" and meow for me to come find her. She's like my "Siamese Training Cat". She is very vocal and has a different meow for everything. So I'm used to demanding cats. She's in my lap now watching me type. Both of my cats are tolerant of other cats and Tyran absolutely loves other cats. Miki has to warm up.

So I guess, what I've meant to say in all of that is, I won't have my hands full adding a new set of paws to the family. I'm actually used to a lot of animals. I grew up with animals all my life and depending on the schedule they are on, my animals get fed before me, cleaned up after before me, and get attention before I get my own time. (if at all with these fuzzballs)

Oh and thanks for all the links. I'll definatly be checking them out. I would love to get a Siamese from a rescue, and while I personally would not mind getting an adult, Miki is not a 'cat person' if that makes any sense. She really has to warm up to newcomers, but once she does, she sticks to them like glue. Her and Tyran are inseperable(sp). So, a kitten might .be best. Tyran on the other hand, could care less what age you are. She's still going to play with you.
I love having cats that follow me around.. everyone that comes over to my house thinks that PHX is almost like a cat\\dog lol. I have to actually explain- NO, he's really just a cat! LOL. I agree with the other posts, you should spend time with siamese before you get one.

Is there anything else in particular you want to know about siamese?

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't mind talkative cats at all. Taking everyone to interact with Siamese seems like a good idea. I will look through all of the links you all have given me and find a rescue or breeder in the area or at least in Virginia. I am not basing my decision to get a Siamese on a book. My fiance wanted a Siamese and I remembered that we had a book about a Siamese kitten at work. I read it and thought it was the cutest thing. So now I am trying to do some research on the breed before making any kind of actual decision. It is a breed we are considering and not the only one on our list of breeds to check out.

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would like to know a few more things. Are they prone to any specific diseases. I know that each purebred whether it be cat or dog are sometimes at more risk for certain genetic disorders, diseases, and conditions.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese and Orientals tend to have higher percentage of cardiomyopothy then some other breeds. So expect some degree of heart murmer - many grow out of it as they get older, but some retain the heart problems.