Storing jewelry- ideas?

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi : )
I just moved, and am having a hard time figuring out how to store all of my necklaces. I used to have a mini accordian coat rack thing, but it broke when I took it down to move. I decided I want something different- somethign that will keep them from tangling but that I can get to easily. No luck looking while shopping around

So, I was wondering, how do you store your jewelry?

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a tackle box -- like for fishing -- that I divide all my jewelry up into. I have to be careful putting my necklaces into the individual compartments, to make sure they don't get tangled up, but the tackle box works really well for small pieces like earrings, rings or brooches. It's not very pretty, though. (Although, if I were more creative, I supposed it could be!)

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At Ikea or the Container Store, you can get those hanging fabric panels with lots of little clear plastic pockets to hold jewelry. I have four now, hanging in my closet with the clothes. Very easy!

The nice thing about this method is that the plastic pockets limit air circulation, and that slows the tarnishing process on your silver.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get pretty colored plastic ice cubed trays to store a lot of jewelry in. Doesn't work too well for necklaces though.

You could make a place for necklaces. Get a piece of corkboard, about 2 ft by 2 ft (could be smaller if needed). Cover it was a pretty patterned cloth if you don't like the look of the cork,or paint it. Then tack some long strings/chains across the board to make something similar to a clothes line from one end to the other. Then hook your necklaces to the string/chain.

You could also do this, but use some type of nails or thumbtacks to hang each necklace seperately.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I store my jewellery in a big old square ice-cream tub. The plastic is really soft, so I can poke holes in the sides to store earrings - and the bottom is great for storing bracelets and ring boxes, etc. But for necklaces I'm a cheapskate. I take one piece of card, cut two slits in at the top so that I can "hang the necklace on it, and then when it's hanging, I fold the cardboard in half, so it doesn't tangle with other necklaces. It works like a kind of miniature filing cabinet. I'm so cheap! The best way is to just keep the boxes, which I have done for the expensive stuff.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marishka

Hi : )
I just moved, and am having a hard time figuring out how to store all of my necklaces. I used to have a mini accordian coat rack thing, but it broke when I took it down to move. I decided I want something different- somethign that will keep them from tangling but that I can get to easily. No luck looking while shopping around

So, I was wondering, how do you store your jewelry?
I keep a camera in every room of the house. So I thought I would sit right here on my duff and pull out a camera and show you what I got DW for her birthday. Here it is:

She LOVES this.The two doors that swing open hold necklaces and all the drawers hold rings, earrings, and all the other kinds of things. This would make your days happy!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I keep a camera in every room of the house. So I thought I would sit right here on my duff and pull out a camera and show you what I got DW for her birthday. Here it is:

She LOVES this.The two doors that swing open hold necklaces and all the drawers hold rings, earrings, and all the other kinds of things. This would make your days happy!
I used to have the identical one! (Until the one leg broke off.) Look under "Jewelry armoires" in WalMart, Kmart, etc. or on websites. They are very commonplace, especially around Christmas/Valentine's Day, and Mother's Day.

MargeCat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Oh my. That is beautiful! I don't think I even have enough stuff for all of those drawers...I would need to buy more jewelry! It's a win-win!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to use a small box or something to keep your jewelry in but worry about your necklaces tangling, you can thread them through drinking straws and then clasp them, that keeps them from getting tangled up so easily!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

If you want to use a small box or something to keep your jewelry in but worry about your necklaces tangling, you can thread them through drinking straws and then clasp them, that keeps them from getting tangled up so easily!
Now that is a nifty idea! I'd never have thought of that!