Completely embarrassing question

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question that I've been too afraid to ask...

A few days ago Tomas was rolling around in a plastic bag with a few cans of food in it. He loves to play in plastic bags.
....Well, when I picked him up out of it I felt something wet on my arm and looked down at him to see that he umm.. must really really 'love' playing in plastic bags. (yes, I was reasonably grossed out)

The thing is, he was neutered in February and is only around 7 1/2-8 months now. He's still a kitten, a NEUTERED kitten. I've never had this happen before.

I guess my question is, has anyone else had this happen before? and plastic bags? I understand cats trying to eat them... but this is weird.

(FYI, I won't be leaving bags with groceries in them unattended anymore
)

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ack!

Plastic bags are the devil. For so many reasons.

I had a cat playing in one (I used to let them check the bags out as I put the groceries away).

One of my cats got his front leg stuck in the handle opening. He was so freaked out he did 100mph up and down stairs and just terrified us all. I finally cornered him and thought he would have a heart attack; it was similar to a post-seizure episode.

Not to mention suffocation scares! Never, ever again.

Now as for the wetness you noted. I have cats who love to chew on plastic and that makes for some goo. Might it have been just saliva?

THat said, I have 2 neutered boys who get rather 'happy' while kneading a certain blanket....and have been caught doing a curious behavior resulting in what you might be describing (but not as MUCH as you are describing!) I wouldnt' think plastic would illicit the same response, but who knows....?

Many cats like to chew on plastic. It *CAN* be a form of Pica, where pets have urges to chew/eat nonedible items (usually due to a nutrional deficiency). But some cats just have a thing for plasic. I keep all plastic out of reach.

Paper bags, otoh, are fun! If they have handles, just snip them, and maybe toss a cat toy in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jpawz

Now as for the wetness you noted. I have cats who love to chew on plastic and that makes for some goo. Might it have been just saliva?
No no no, it was very much not saliva.

Believe, I do know what it was. When I seen it my jaw actually dropped, I was that shocked! DH had a good laugh...

He doesn't chew on the bags anyways, it's only paper and cardboard he tries to gnaw on. It really seems to be all the noise that the plastic bags make that really work him up. Whenever he sees or hears one he gets the
face.

Like one of your cats, Sho's snagged a paw in a plastic bag before too. He was already afraid of them but that sent him into a panicked run all over the house.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they still can get "stimulated" to some extent even if neutered. I agree on keeping the plastic bags away from him

That's one reason I really don't like to be around male dogs that are not neutered - they like me too much
IMO a male dog is far more embarrasing then a neutered male cat

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

No no no, it was very much not saliva.

Believe, I do know what it was. When I seen it my jaw actually dropped, I was that shocked! DH had a good laugh...
Ahhh. Biology

It's probably more of a bio-physiological response as opposed to anything overtly 'sexual' in his nature.