Weird slimy excrement

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I am a bit confused what this could be and need some advice. I got one female cat (Singa, 1.5 yrs) and one female kitten (Soleil, 4.5 months).

Recently I got home and found some redish, dried-bugger-like stuff in Soleils furr, right uneather her chin on her chest area. I simply cleaned it away, not finding where it may be coming from. Yesterday I found a slimy brownish stain on a rug. It has to come from one of the cats, but I couldn't tell from which and what it may be. It didn't smell.
It reminded me a bit of the consistency of periodicla bleeding - just that it is a different color.

I called the vet and she said it is common for cats in heat. Now the problem I face: Soleil does not show signs of heat (except once when she was very vocal at night sitting in front of our door wanting to be let in - which she normaly doesn't). But with Singa I noticed that the heat phase got more and more intense the older she got.
Singa is sterilized now, but she is still 'overly affectionate' at times - e.g. last night. But since she is sterilized she should not be having her period right?

So who is it then? And if it sounds as odd to you as it does to me, any ideas what else it could be???

Thanks a million!

Vera

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it was on her chest, could it be coming from her mouth (like blood-tinged drool)? I would check her teeth and see if you notice any missing, loose or broken teeth, or other spots in her mouth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks cloud_shade! I checked her teeth and all seems fine.
I had more the feeling that she was licking her behind (or Singa's behind - what she also does sometimes... ewww
) and then her chest?...

Can a spayed cat get her period?? I mean she does raise her but up, when I pet her at the tail area...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A spayed cat can't have a period - but they can have a false heat. That's what happened to Ling after she was spayed. She came back into heat a year later as if she was not spayed....believe I KNOW.....lol

They opened her up again and found a cyst growing where the overies had been - they removed it and she's been fine since.

Cats also can have "silent" heats where they don't talk and may or may not act like they are in heat - usually the first heat is a silent one. But if they get out in a silent heat, they can mate and get pregnant. So if the one is not yet spayed, you'd better make an appointment now, before you have a litter of kittens.

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

So if the one is not yet spayed, you'd better make an appointment now, before you have a litter of kittens.
They are pure indoor and would need to open the door, take the elevator and open another door to get out
- or open the window and jump out - so little chance.

Tho everybody asks me if Singa is pregnant, but she is only a bit fat

Well I assume that Soleil is in a silent heat - but she hardly raises her but nor is she overly cuddly.

Unfortunately my vet really says I need to wait till she is at least 6 months old... that will be a long annoying wait

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Ling had one silent heat at 5 months - for about 2-3 days. She didn't do much other then a little bit of the butt in the air when you pet her.

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Well Ling had one silent heat at 5 months - for about 2-3 days. She didn't do much other then a little bit of the butt in the air when you pet her.
I think Soleil raised her but one day... More noticable is that she will rub her head (scent) all over the plcae (if that is a sign of heat as well?)

Goldenkitty45: have you actually ever seen Ling have her period?