Okay TCS friends... I need some help.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just discovered that my Mom wants an heirloom tomato very badly, but has no access to them in Alaska. I need to figure out how to ship some to her with out too much damage. I realize it's going to have to be over night, but I'm trying to figure out how to pack it so it doesn't: 1. Go bad 2. Get smashed.

Any ideas?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of tomato is that? I've never even heard of it!

You might try using egg cartons to ship it in (in a box)

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use bubble wrap and either dry ice if you can find it or those cool packs. I would double box it also to keep it protected. That's all I can think of for now.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, and not only could you ship her some tomatoes, you could also get her some seeds or seedlings to plant! Just google "heirloom tomatoes, tomato plants, shipping" and you'll find lots of good sites. What a nice thing to do for your mom!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cheap Sushi

Huh!??? If you are going to ship something..... ship something that is AWSOME!
http://www.loumalnatis.com/
A deepdish pizza. Better than a hot kiss!
And I dont work for them. Its just a Xhicago staple.
She's not a big pizza person! But I am, and I'll have to ship myself a pizza!

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Yes, and not only could you ship her some tomatoes, you could also get her some seeds or seedlings to plant! Just google "heirloom tomatoes, tomato plants, shipping" and you'll find lots of good sites. What a nice thing to do for your mom!
I was planning on getting her some seeds or perhaps a plant. I just want it to get there with out dieing!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I was planning on getting her some seeds or perhaps a plant. I just want it to get there with out dieing!
When does the planting season start there? I'm going to guess she has a few weeks or more.
She can get one of the indoor starter kits with the peat pellets that you add seeds and water to. That way she can make her own startings.
The kits are pretty fool proof too.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I would use bubble wrap and either dry ice if you can find it or those cool packs. I would double box it also to keep it protected. That's all I can think of for now.
Dont use dry ice or the cool packs. It will kill the tomato, Dry pack it. Do the box within a box method and have the shipping place you use place the perishable and fragile stickers all over it. Do not use the post office, go to a true shipping store. They will give it the care and gentleness it deserves.

I don't know if you love need a trader joes, we have boxes that our tomatoes are shipped in that don't get smashed. If you do go pick up a pack and use the container they came in.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe a big tupperware type thing on the inside, and then put that in a cardboard box for shipping? separate the tomatoes with bubble wrap, and then bubble wrap the tupperware thing.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A good source of heirloom tomato seeds and plants is Seed Saver's exchange-they could ship the plants direct.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest sending the seeds instead of a plant. If you send the plant it may have some difficulties adjusting to Alaska's soil and such.

If you send seeds, they're more easily adaptle to soil.

Then again that's IF shes planting it in the ground rather than a pot with store bought soil.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Burpee Seeds also has heirloom tomatoes I think, and they even ship starter plants.

As far as shipping her the actual tomato, Heather, I'd go buy some of those organic tomatoes from the market that come in that plastic protector, and use it to ship them in. I'd pick them early so they were a bit green, and would ripen in transit. Then I'd visit the folks at Fedex and ship it Fedex 2Day to her, the cost should be pretty minimal for something that size and weight.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Oh and refrigerating them is a bad thing, when they warm up they'll start to ripen quicker. I'd pick them straight off the vine a bit green and ship them off.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest foam, like from an eggcrate mattress, to pack them in, if you send the actual fruit. I used it in an egg drop contest in school (many many years ago- we had to use something lightweight that wouldn't let the egg break when we dropped it off the pressbox at the football field
), and it worked like a charm! I'd wrap each one in something like a cotton sock or piece of fabric, to protect the skin. And if she finds she likes the taste of them, she can save the seeds from one and do it again next year!

But if you just want to get her heirloom tomatoes, in any way, shape or form, I'd go with the seeds
(just planted my starter plants in the big pots this weekend
- of course, I'm in Alabama, though!
).

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also there has to be a master gardener organization in AK (google) one of those could be personally growing or know someone growing heirloon tomatoes.
You mom would like the Brandywine cultivar-the most well known heirloom.