What can I do about neighbors keeping their cat outside?

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I live in Chicago. There is a house nearby (rather run down) the residents have a cat, he's a male, not neutered and I doubt he has any vaccinations. They are letting this cat out a lot now (its warm weather now) I've seen him stalk birds and he almost got hit by a car the other day. I've written a note with a name of a low cost spay/neuter clinic on it and told them to keep the cat indoors. I did this last year as well and still the cat is un-fixed. The cat is about 1-1/2 yrs old, as I've seen him since he was a kitten. Aside from cat napping this cat and taking him to a shelter, is there anything I can do to keep the cat out of harms way...and preventiing needless cat overpopulation in my neighborhood??

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not that I can think of -- I think catnapping is the thing to do. But don't take him to a kill shelter! Find a no-kill shelter that will neuter him and place him in a good home, where he won't be running loose.

Some people will disagree with me on that. But if his owners have been made aware of the need to neuter and the dangers of letting him out, but have done nothing about it, then they must not care much what happens to him, anyway.

Bless you for your concern for the kitty!

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FishTreatsMom

Hello. I live in Chicago. There is a house nearby (rather run down) the residents have a cat, he's a male, not neutered and I doubt he has any vaccinations. They are letting this cat out a lot now (its warm weather now) I've seen him stalk birds and he almost got hit by a car the other day. I've written a note with a name of a low cost spay/neuter clinic on it and told them to keep the cat indoors. I did this last year as well and still the cat is un-fixed. The cat is about 1-1/2 yrs old, as I've seen him since he was a kitten. Aside from cat napping this cat and taking him to a shelter, is there anything I can do to keep the cat out of harms way...and preventiing needless cat overpopulation in my neighborhood??
well, how would you feel if you knew that one of your neighbors thought your house was run down and that you didn't take care of your cat? So is it the fact that the cat lives outside? isn't neutered? or the house is "rather run down" that bothers you.

If you really want to help the cat, just have him neutered and let him live where he is familiar, isn't that what the tnr people say to do? Why does he have to go to the shelter? (although living in Chicago, I'm sure you aren't rural, and there probably is a lot of traffic, right?)

Maybe you could tactfully let your neighbor know that their male cat is spraying your belongings and that you would be happy to have him as a visitor if he were neutered and not spraying to mark his territory? A little tact can work wonders...if you gave me a note telling me what to do with my animal, I'd probably tell you to mind your own business.

You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar...

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The truth is I would probably take him a shelter unless you want to pay for his neutering.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FishTreatsMom

You know...they may be letting him out because he sprays. Unneutered males have a greater chance of spraying and have you ever taken a whiff of unneutered male cat pee....
When I get to the feral cat clinic in the morning...I know we are going to have some serious neutering going on.

Although I don't necessarily agree with paying for someone else's problem...a neuter is less expensive than a spay and easier to hide....so my vote would be to get him neutered.

Katie

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But this is her neighbor's cat... even if the neighbor is irresponsible- can you just take their cat and neutur it because you feel that its better for the cat. I would be sooooo upset if someone did that to me. Even though PHX is neutured, I believe that spaying/neuturing is not up to the public, its up to the owners. I would try talking to them, and tell them that your willing to help them out.. But that's just me
Good luck, and keep us posted on this cat!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

But this is her neighbor's cat... even if the neighbor is irresponsible- can you just take their cat and neutur it because you feel that its better for the cat. I would be sooooo upset if someone did that to me. Even though PHX is neutured, I believe that spaying/neuturing is not up to the public, its up to the owners. I would try talking to them, and tell them that your willing to help them out.. But that's just me
Good luck, and keep us posted on this cat!
But she HAS been trying to speak to them....so at this point, I would say at least take care of the cat's health needs. Frankly, I'd rather risk the possibility of them being upset then to have this cat impregnate any unowned females.

Katie

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also take the cat,neuter it and then bring it back. I have done it many times and will continue to until people stop being idiots about their animals. Never know, if she figures it out, she may be grateful, maybe she doesn't have the money, doesn't have a way to get him there, etc.

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

But she HAS been trying to speak to them....so at this point, I would say at least take care of the cat's health needs. Frankly, I'd rather risk the possibility of them being upset then to have this cat impregnate any unowned females.
I think she is risking not just them being upset, but them pressing charges because it would be STEALING!!

What if your neighbor believed cats should be declawed, so catnapped your cat and had it declawed?? Spay/neuter is more of a community problem so is different, but still.

Even though it might be illegal to take the cat and get him neutered, I could see THAT being done, as long as you returned the cat. But I am shocked that people would even think to take the cat to a shelter and LEAVE him!! Who knows what will happen to him! I know some would argue that "well it would be better than where he is at." But how do you know that? who died and made you king?
I just don't believe it is for you/us to decide. We can't just do things cuz WE believe differently than someone else - would we want them doing that to us?

PS - And I know things can be misinterpreted in messages, so please know I am not angry or trying to be rude or anything. I am just surprised and stating my opinion - smiling all the way.
See?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a stray cat to me, that they mmight feed once in a while. I would take the cat to a no kill rescue and let them find him a good home. I would also donate the 50 dollars or so that it will cost them to have him neutered. the neighbors won't miss him, they will think he found a better home.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by techiegirl

I think she is risking not just them being upset, but them pressing charges because it would be STEALING!!

What if your neighbor believed cats should be declawed, so catnapped your cat and had it declawed?? Spay/neuter is more of a community problem so is different, but still.

Even though it might be illegal to take the cat and get him neutered, I could see THAT being done, as long as you returned the cat. But I am shocked that people would even think to take the cat to a shelter and LEAVE him!! Who knows what will happen to him! I know some would argue that "well it would be better than where he is at." But how do you know that? who died and made you king?
I just don't believe it is for you/us to decide. We can't just do things cuz WE believe differently than someone else - would we want them doing that to us?

PS - And I know things can be misinterpreted in messages, so please know I am not angry or trying to be rude or anything. I am just surprised and stating my opinion - smiling all the way.
See?
Oh...I completely want the cat returned after it has been neutered. I don't agree with taking the cat to the shelter or even to a no kill rescue.

Katie