Challenge: Bringing Photos Back to Life

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a challenge on another forum I am on and I thought I would share as they are quite interesting. Being TCS we will use cats obviously and for a change, feel free to use any image you want.

The tutorial is for GIMP but those using photoshop or PSP will get the idea easy enough

some interesting pics done with it:

It does have relevancy, using layers and transparency - have fun!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's my attempt at this type of art. I don't think it's the best that's for sure, but it's my first try. I probably could have chosen a better picture for this to really give it the affect, but here's what I did.

I basically followed the instructions on the gimp page to do this. On my frame I used a gradient overlay. I also added a layer above the blurred layer and used difference clouds to give it that cloudy sort of spacey look, then added another layer and using a stars brush, added stars.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like I'm the one who is going crazy playing with this challenge. I'm actually having a lot of fun with this. Anyway, I decided to try making my new banner for my web page doing this Pop Out style, so I thought I'd share it here.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is my attempt at this,I think I got how to make it come forward, but my frame is rubbish because I don't know how to make a frame

I made a square and erased the middle

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love it!!! You did a wonderful job!!!

See you're not thick at all!

Originally Posted by Anakat

Here is my attempt at this,I think I got how to make it come forward, but my frame is rubbish because I don't know how to make a frame

I made a square and erased the middle

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really like your picture Anakat. Very cool 3D effect. In fact I like it so much I'm trying something similar. Here's mine with Paulie.

By the way, I make my frame by using a square "Shape" that is clear inside. I might try it the way you and Icklemiss do it by using a full on square and deleting the inside.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please forgive me, I'm having fun with this. I'm sorry if I am bombarding images on here, I'm just having so much fun. I tried something a little different, here.

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try 1

I had a go at this. Here's my efforts. Looks like Olivia's playing with a hoop lol

I think i chose the wrong picture....a plain carpet background..not sure if it adds the right effect? Especially when its gausian blurred. So I put her onto a background...

Try 2

Now looking likes she's stepping through glass with a hole in it lol

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I promise this is the last one I'll make for this challenge. I'm kind of proud of this one. Practice makes near perfect I guess, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of this, and I'm trying some other idea's along with it.

What do yo think of this one?

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like that one Hope, it is very effective. This is a fun challenge isn't it?
I am going to have another go later

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like that Karen. Did you steal one of Nial's cats as well

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just having another play around - came up with this...