Kitty Dilemma!!!

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh Gosh I am in SUCH a dilemma!!! You may remember my mentioning our house was up for sale - amazingly, we had an offer for the full amount in 48 hours, and are due to complete and move out in the next 2 weeks. Our new house is being completely renovated and unfortunately won't be ready for around 2 months, leaving us all a little homeless!!

As far as the people are concerned this isn't really an issue - my kids are going to stay with their real Dad, and DH and I are farming ourselves out with an assortment of kind friends.

The problem is the furbabies - initially, DH's mum was going to have them with her - however, there are 3 of them, and she already has her own (not very friendly) cat and has started saying she is worried about the responsibility of looking after my boys (she is getting on in years and is not always in the best of health) I cannot stand the idea of taking them into kennels, partly because they are outdoor cats, and would hate being shut in cages for 2 months, and also because of the cost - even the cheapest kennel for three of them for 2 months works out at nearly £1000 which we just don't have.

They are the most important little people in my house, but I really don't know what to do for the best - I am ging to the vet's tomorrow to see if they know of anyone who temporarily 'fosters' cats in circumstances like this, but I have never heard of anywhere over here in Cheshire which does this, and am worried that my only alternative may be rehoming them, which is breaking my heart - in a way it wouldn't be so bad for Ben and Max, because although they are my little angels, they are young enough to adjust to a new home, but Melchett is 14 and is just to old for change like this.

I can't bear the thought of having to part with them, but I want them to be safe and looked after
Fingers crossed that the girls at the vets have some ideas

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
omg i hope you don't have to rehome them, that would be so sad...

maybe you could let them come and live with you and your friends who you're staying with?
Or have you got any other friends who could foster them? It might be best for you to put them in a cattery, even though they are outdoor kitties, surely making them stay in for 2 months is better than rehoming?

Good Luck with finding them somewhere to stay.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, here's an odd thought
, but could you get/rent a travel trailer (an inexpensive one, like for a weekend camping trip, or an old used one, that is structurally sound, but not usable for people - bad plumbing, etc., or one that is simply a glorified metal and plastic tent
), and set it up at the new house? If the new house still has power (which I am assuming it does), you could set up a small window unit air conditioner if it's needed to run during the day, and just lots of warm hole up places for night (like blankets to root in). You might even be able to get a chain link dog run with a top- you could secure a tarp over the top- to put up against the back door (there are usually a few of used one's of these in our local paper pretty cheap
) to let them have some outdoor time when you're at the new house. They would be where you can visit easily, and at the new house in the neighborhood they are going to be living in.

When we bought our land (oh, I miss it so
), we had the trailer put in, and moved the cats out there first, before we got all the utilities hooked up for us (we were living with relatives, too
) and they did just fine. I went out there at least everyday to clean litterboxes, give new food and water, pet kitties, etc., and even though mine are indoor/outdoor, they did just fine.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What if your mom takes just one, you take one with you, and find a friend to foster the third until you are in your new place? It might be easier for everyone to take care of just one, rather than a bunch of three! Then, there will be a reunion in a couple of months. Good luck!

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you staying for the next 2 months? If you are renting, there are landlords who will let you have 3 cats (Ive been there!) It might not be the ritz..but its just somewhere temporary. (ETA - just re-read you are staying with friends..so my renting advice may not be appropriate if you cannot consider this alternative at all)

Failing that....ask friends if they can temporaily foster or get in touch with your local Cats Protection League or animal sanctuaries...they may be able to help.

Good luck....I know the situation you are in. I was able to find rental accomodation (for cheap) which let me have my pets. And that was in the UK. Ok it meant living in a cottage on a farm for a short while...but it was fun and I got to keep the cats, until our new house was ready.

If you go via the estate agency route to find rental accomodation, I doubt you will find pet friendly landlords. Its the private listings on loot.com and fish4property.co.uk to go for, in addition to your local papers.

Another suggestion - ring around lots of catteries within 1-2 hours drive of you. Explain your situation and see if anyone is willing to offer a cheaper price because of your situation.

Another alternative - rent a caravan for 2 months (I know...I know...it may sound gypsy like), but Im just trying to think of all alternatives that will get you to keep your cats. And it would be better for them not to be parted from you in this time.

I hope you find a way around this. If needs must, I could take in 1 cat (I dont think my cats will accept 3, Im sorry) for the 2 months if food was provided and the cat is fully vaccinated. The thing is, Im in Norfolk. Bit far from you. Pm me if you wish to discuss. Im offering my help here, not because Im a cat kidnapper..but because I KNOW your situation. In your shoes, Id feel so hesitant leaving your cats with strangers..so I understand if this option does not appeal. But Im a genuine cat lover, who is looking to foster anyway. Up to you. But the offer is there. If you can find people, possibly including your mum too to take in just the 1..you are there.

I think its just a shame..in 2 months you will have the dream house perfect for your 3 fur babies.

THERE IS AWAY AROUND THIS. Please dont part with them permanently over this obstacle. It will mean you having to ring around and research and spend a lot of time arranging..but in the end it'll be worth it.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Hmm, here's an odd thought
, but could you get/rent a travel trailer (an inexpensive one, like for a weekend camping trip, or an old used one, that is structurally sound, but not usable for people - bad plumbing, etc., or one that is simply a glorified metal and plastic tent
), and set it up at the new house? If the new house still has power (which I am assuming it does), you could set up a small window unit air conditioner if it's needed to run during the day, and just lots of warm hole up places for night (like blankets to root in). You might even be able to get a chain link dog run with a top- you could secure a tarp over the top- to put up against the back door (there are usually a few of used one's of these in our local paper pretty cheap
) to let them have some outdoor time when you're at the new house. They would be where you can visit easily, and at the new house in the neighborhood they are going to be living in.

When we bought our land (oh, I miss it so
), we had the trailer put in, and moved the cats out there first, before we got all the utilities hooked up for us (we were living with relatives, too
) and they did just fine. I went out there at least everyday to clean litterboxes, give new food and water, pet kitties, etc., and even though mine are indoor/outdoor, they did just fine.

Good luck, whatever you decide!
That sounds like a good idea. I would say either that or else try to find an apartment or a hotel that allows cats and stay there for a while. Or if your friends that you are staying with don't mind cats that would be the ideal solution.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless you all - you are all so kind - thanks for your suggestions and offers, I am amazed by the kindness, it has really cheered me up!! We are pretty stuck - the new house is a rental property, and we will have no access till the renovations are complete - I had looked into us all living in a caravan in the garden, but because of safety laws, they aren't allowed to give us access to the property at all till it is passed as safe, which is a pain in the butt as we had already thought what a great idea this would be!!

I have sent an email to everyone I work with to see if anyone has a temporary kitty home - unfortunately, DH and I are going to be sleeping on a variety of friends' floors/sofas for the next few weeks so we really cannot take the boys with us - I have tried to find a short term rental, but we really struggle over here to get anything a) for just a short term and b) that allows pets.

I think my Mum in law will probably have Melchett as he is pretty quiet, sleeps most of the time and keeps himself to himself, but I am going to make some phone calls tomorrow - I have spoken to a friend who knows of a local 'mad cat lady' who takes in cats from time to time, who may be able to help. Fingers, legs and eyes firmly crossed here!!!

Thanks again for all your help - you are all amazingly kind and thoughtful - it is greatly appreciated and has left me feeling a lot more positive!!!!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really check with your vet and see if he can recommend someone. This really is "fostering" a cat while looking for a home, it's more like cat sitting for a few months. He would probably know someone that would be willing to take care of them until your home is finished. And, the vet wouldn't recommend anyone that wasn't trustworthy. I know if our vet called and asked us we would do it...with 6 cats, what's one more?

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay - I daren't get too excited, but I think we have a solution!! My mum in law had offered her conservatory for us to store all our furniture in, but we have been able to find a very cheap and safe storage unit not far away, and as the furniture won't be in the conservatory, it looks like the kitties can have the room instead!!

We will have to pop over every day to clean out the litter as she is not very mobile and her hands aren't good, but it looks like things are going to be okay after all!!!

To say I am relieved is an understatement!!!!!!

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have told the cats they are going for a sleep over with Granny - they should be very excited, because last time we went on holiday and she babysat for them, they had three meals a day instead of two!!!!!

pawsandwhiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thats great news! If you do get stuck I am a registered petsitter so could let you know of other registered ones round your area that might take cats. I could poss take one myself but not 3 as not room. But that wouldn't be ideal as I am in Gloucestershire! But sounds like you've got a happy solution anyway!!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yea! That sounds great!
It's so much easier to find a place to store furniture than cats!