Why I'm up at 7am on a Sunday...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear a crash, and DH and I sit up in bed thinking that something just went very wrong. We both hear kitty chattering from Scratch, so we know something is up. As I run out of the bed room into the living room we see it. Scratch is sitting on our balcony attempting to kill a bird. This wouldn't be so bad if we didn't live on the 12th floor of an apartment building. DH dashes forward diving through the door and snatches Scratch into his arms as he is trying to jump to rip the poor bird out of the sky. My heart hasn't stopped beating. We are going to have to work out how to keep our screen door open and cat proof.

I just want to cry right now.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's horrible! But you're so lucky that your DH had such good timing to avert what could have been a tragic accident.

Maybe you should look into getting some hardware cloth (wire mesh) and adding that to the screening? If it's secured properly to the door they shouldn't be able to pop it out and they can't rip it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No kidding about the heart attack!! If that happened to me, I wouldn't even need caffeine to get me up and going, the adrenaline rush would be enough. Take a deep breath and hug your boy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's horrible! But you're so lucky that your DH had such good timing to avert what could have been a tragic accident.

Maybe you should look into getting some hardware cloth (wire mesh) and adding that to the screening? If it's secured properly to the door they shouldn't be able to pop it out and they can't rip it.
We are going to figure something out today. A trip to Lowes is in order. I'll get the strongest mesh I can find and tack it to the door with iron nails if I have to.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking in terms of getting some hardware cloth or something more decorative (like decorative grating) to attach to the screen door. Hardware cloth would be rather unsightly, but effective. Here's some pics that I found that might be helpful.

Hardware cloth

Decorative Hardware cloth

Decorative window gratings

The thought has crossed my mind about trying to find gratings of some sort for my back porch. If I had gratings, I would leave the girls access to the porch during the day, while I'm at work. Right now I only have screens on the windows, which I don't completely trust. We haven't had any issues with the screens so far, but I'd hate to have something happen while I was at work and not able to rescue the cat if she fell out of the window. I'm not worried about the drop (it's only about 3 1/2 feet), but the fact that I live on an extremely busy street.

Sure hope you are able to find something that will work for you. I can't even imagine how frightened you were to see Scratch trying to get out through the screen. I'd be paralyzed!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live in an apartment, so anything I buy has to be able to be removed.

I think I'll just buy some mesh and put it in place of the screen door. We never use our balcony anyway. It's too small.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow. That boy really has blossomed since Dr. Claw moved in.

I'm SO glad DH got to him in time!

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How very frightening for you!
Thank goodness there was noise to wake you.

I've used the ornamental guards suggested by Pookie-poo. Anything metal is much more worry-free. The ones I found were labeled as screen door guards but were in an odd place in the store, not with door stuff.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just asked Colin for any ideas and suggested Hardware Cloth
He's actually using a really nice grade of it right now on part of the cage he's building for Sophie (the bunny) It's sturdy- and it's going to be hard as the dickens for those boys to mess up. Just be sure you use a good nail gun and make sure it's in place WELL. (and when you get ready to take it up- use the back of the hammer to pull the nails out- it shouldn't be too hard
) It's not too terribly expensive eithor

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Never a dull moment there. I'm glad Scratch didn't do any harm to himself. Sending you "calm the heart" vibes. He has definitely come out of his shell.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh my gosh my gosh I'm getting weak in the knees just imagining that! Thank heaven for your husband's quickness! I'm so glad your baby is okay.

I've thought about using hardware cloth not just to seal off the balcony door, but to enclose the balcony completely -- 2x4 sleepers lying flat just inside the railing with the mesh attached to them and running up to attach under the eaves; all the panels woven together top to bottom with wire. Some landlords might not accept it, though...

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm sorry! how scary! i hope you get your screen door secure~!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh my gosh my gosh my gosh I'm getting weak in the knees just imagining that! Thank heaven for your husband's quickness! I'm so glad your baby is okay.

I've thought about using hardware cloth not just to seal off the balcony door, but to enclose the balcony completely -- 2x4 sleepers lying flat just inside the railing with the mesh attached to them and running up to attach under the eaves; all the panels woven together top to bottom with wire. Some landlords might not accept it, though...
We are going to call our landlord in the morning and tell him what happened. I really want a new screen door that latches into the door frame like we had in our last apartment.

I'm holding off on buying any mesh for now, until I see what he says. For now the glass door is shut and locked.

The cute part is that Scratch gave DH a kitty lecture about being interrupted in the middle of a kill. DH just sat an took it. We were glad he was okay.