Sexing kittens dilemma..72 hrs later

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think i may have got the sex of Eden and Reuben round the wrong way. Not sure. All i know is that I most likely have one of each as they are both different.

An identity crisis. Nice start to life eh?

Im so sorry the pics are fuzzy..again its my mobile phone camera and moving kittens. But can anyone make sense of what sex the kittens are. Im posting the links from gayef's sticky on kittens for convenience below - these have photos. But depsite having the kittens in front of me an looking at the photos, I still cant tell.

Kitten 1

(Ive indicated where the 2 openings are...they are quite close together (more close together than kitten no2). I had this to be a boy - am I wrong?

Kitten 2

(On kitten 2, there is the anus and then a long 'line shape' then a 2nd opening underneath. There is a bit of a gap between the two opeinings. I had this to be a female at first from looking at the photos. But just wondering if those things in the middle are baby testicles?)

http://www.mystic-tree.com/kitten_sexing_guide.htm
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/clientED/kittenSex.asp

The more I look, the more I think ive got it round the wrong way? Silly meowmy. Poor boy has spent the first few days of his life being called 'Princess', if im mistaken

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually just rechecked the kittens, against the pics on the links. I think it looks like

No 1 is a girl
No 2 is a boy

I think i have got it round the wrong way. NOT TOTALLY SURE THOUGH. If anyone can shed any light ont his Id be grateful

Ok I'll re-introduce them to you, according to their new genders (lol)..

This is Eden

This is Reuben

lil'misskisses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL......With my kittens last year i found it really hard to sex them in the first couple of weeks. I thought i had 2 boys and 2 girls but i ended up with 4 boys. I found the easiest time to sex them was at about 2 weeks old. Up until that point i was changing their genders on an almost daily basis. Bless them......I could have easily given them a bit of a complex.

Whatever their sex you have 2 beautiful furr babies there....I bet your a very proud kitty grandma!

Emma x x

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, its so frustrating at times telling them apart. The male should have more of a circle/dot below the anus. The female has more of a slit - like an upside down exclaimnation point.

In most books, they do pencil drawing without the fur - I'll try to find a more realistic picture of male/female kittens that might help

Here you go - does it help?

http://www.mystic-tree.com/sexing.htm

If you know the color of the mom and the dad, then its a lot easier to sex the kittens - if you get a calico, 99.9% of the time its a female - so you use her for comparing the kittens you don't know if they are male/female

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it...but sexing them is tough at this age (unless you have the tell-tale orange male, or the the obvious tri-color female in the litter)...sometimes the girl and boy bits don't match those handy-dandy web sexing guides, do they?
It is almost best to wait another week or two, to really check. Or you could just keep checking the kitten who you suspect is the male for his "pom-poms" to become a bit more obvious...which they will in the next few days, I'm sure.

Oh, I don't envy you. When in doubt, just fax some clearer pics of their parts to your vet...he'll tell you in a flash!

They are absolutely plush and fluffy looking babies!

Edited to add...the more I look at #1...I do believe that's the girl, and #2 is a male. Looks like you've hit the nail on the head!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While its not a "sure-fire" way of telling, seems most males (even as kittens) have a little broader looking face/head then the females.

In Lings litter all of them were the same color - wound up with 2 males, 3 females. The males tended to have a little wider looking face then the females. Took me awhile to sort them out for sure with being the same color.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies
Im glad Wookie you think that no1 could be a girl and 2 a boy. I have been looking at kitten's private bits all morning (comparing my pics to pics on the internet) and after a while, all bits look the same
I hope Ive got it right now...it'll be a psychological trauma (for me mainly lol) to have to change their genders back to what they originally were (especially with all the re-re editing of my signature lol).

Im actually very stupid. I paid £20 to the vet on the day the kittens were born (Olivia had to be checked out) and I didnt even ask the vet to confirm their genders. She did check the kittens quickly, but it slipped my mind to ask her what sex they are. A little miffed she didnt check this and tell me. Then again, it was a very quick emergency appointment which focussed mainly on Olivia...so i guess i cant complain.

tjwharton24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Man Mel they're gonna have to go to the cat whisperer when they get older.
(Cat Psychology) LOl they're gonna be all messed up.

On a serious note I think #1 is wittle girl #2 is wittle boy

Jenn

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think #1 is a girl, #2 is a boy. Hard to tell for sure though.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

I hate to say it...but sexing them is tough at this age (unless you have the tell-tale orange male, or the the obvious tri-color female in the litter)...sometimes the girl and boy bits don't match those handy-dandy web sexing guides, do they?
It is almost best to wait another week or two, to really check. Or you could just keep checking the kitten who you suspect is the male for his "pom-poms" to become a bit more obvious...which they will in the next few days, I'm sure.

Oh, I don't envy you. When in doubt, just fax some clearer pics of their parts to your vet...he'll tell you in a flash!

They are absolutely plush and fluffy looking babies!

Edited to add...the more I look at #1...I do believe that's the girl, and #2 is a male. Looks like you've hit the nail on the head!
Daisy said to tell you that not all orange/ginger cats are boys.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, trust me, I know.

My mom's female is an orange. They happen. Most of the time, they're males, however.

And, to muck it up even worse, there are tri-colored males...they will most often be sterile, but they happen too.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, some vets have been mistaken on sexing at that age!

Whatever the sex, they're adorable. Just wait until they start getting into things!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only way to have female red tabbies is if dad's a red and mom is either a tortie/calico or a red herself - need 2 red genes of color

99.9% of tri-color cats (torties/calicos) are female - you get a rare male, but the likelyhood of that is very slim - so its almost a given if you have one in the litter its female and you can use her for comparison on unknown kittens for sex